TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 10111213 LastLast

Thread: Excitement

Default Re: Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Dont forget a big part of Hatcher's problems was that Jenkerson guy who was the S&C coach. He might've been even worse than "Dr" Dorsey.
    Not relevant to my point, which was that Monken and Davis built an OL from scratch and did so very quickly. Sure, it was FCS, but . . .

We're Georgia freakin' Southern.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Wait--pizza is junk food?
    I remember reading a story about Michael Phelps' diet while he was training for the Olympics. He wasn't eating junk, but he wasn't filling up on nuts and greens, either. Most of us would probably blow up like balloons if we ate what athletes eat because they have a genuine need for calories and not just vitamins and minerals.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

So, we're clearly NOT excited by the OL. It remains a huge question mark. Assuming we have a relatively "normal" season, what ARE you all excited about?

I'm excited about our RBs. Kennedy is essentially the poor man's Matt Breida, and he provides the big play ability this offense requires. J.D. King is somewhat like Ramsby, a bruiser who forces defenses to gang tackle him, while Wright at 100% is probably just as good. Laroche brings some things to the table, too. Gerald Green has serious potential, IMO. He has very good feet and explodes into contact with good pad level. To me, he's shown a quickness/burst that hopefully will translate to big plays, and he a strong IZ runner who gets the extra yard or two even when a defender squares him up. I'm looking forward to seeing him play a larger role in preparation to replace Kennedy in 2021.

Our receivers will be very inexperienced, but if Anderson steps up, one of Zeze or Smith breaks out, and all the freshmen show up ready to play, we should be okay there (that's a pretty big "if," I reckon). While we'll still have some personnel limitations, a competent passing scheme and improved pass protection will go a LONG way toward making our offense productive.

On defense, we'll be strong in the front seven and hopefully improved in the deep middle. Duncan has NFL potential, and if Singletary, Pace, or someone else comes on strong at SS, we'll probably have better athleticism there than we did in 2019. In our scheme, SS calls for a DB like Antonio Glover or Sean Freeman--one who has more range than Rutledge (good football player and strong tackler, but probably better suited to FS in our defense) and better instincts than Baker.

In summary, I feel good about any defense that fields RJIII, Wade, Byrd, Ellis, and Duncan (at least four of these guys have a shot at the NFL), and which should expect contributions from a boatload of young players in most positions.

It reminds me a bit of the 2002 defense, which had excellent upperclassmen in Pesquiera, David Young, and Joe Scott, and which got real solid reps from talented young Eagles including Cabral, Rio, Hadley, and Butler.

With an experienced senior QB, I expect nothing less than a run at the SBC championship this season.

If this staff is the right fit for GS, they can put together a functional OL and find some guys to play CB.

In a normal season, that is. 2020 won't be a normal season.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

I remember reading a story about Michael Phelps' diet while he was training for the Olympics. He wasn't eating junk, but he wasn't filling up on nuts and greens, either. Most of us would probably blow up like balloons if we ate what athletes eat because they have a genuine need for calories and not just vitamins and minerals.
    Swimmers have a greater caloric requirement than any other athletes, I think.

I actually DO think pizza is junk food. However, my son is one of those obnoxious picky-eaters, so I eat an obscene amount of pizza. There's no telling what my triglycerides level looks like at the moment.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

So, we're clearly NOT excited by the OL. It remains a huge question mark. Assuming we have a relatively "normal" season, what ARE you all excited about?

I'm excited about our RBs. Kennedy is essentially the poor man's Matt Breida, and he provides the big play ability this offense requires. J.D. King is somewhat like Ramsby, a bruiser who forces defenses to gang tackle him, while Wright at 100% is probably just as good. Laroche brings some things to the table, too. Gerald Green has serious potential, IMO. He has very good feet and explodes into contact with good pad level. To me, he's shown a quickness/burst that hopefully will translate to big plays, and he a strong IZ runner who gets the extra yard or two even when a defender squares him up. I'm looking forward to seeing him play a larger role in preparation to replace Kennedy in 2021.

Our receivers will be very inexperienced, but if Anderson steps up, one of Zeze or Smith breaks out, and all the freshmen show up ready to play, we should be okay there (that's a pretty big "if," I reckon). While we'll still have some personnel limitations, a competent passing scheme and improved pass protection will go a LONG way toward making our offense productive.

On defense, we'll be strong in the front seven and hopefully improved in the deep middle. Duncan has NFL potential, and if Singletary, Pace, or someone else comes on strong at SS, we'll probably have better athleticism there than we did in 2019. In our scheme, SS calls for a DB like Antonio Glover or Sean Freeman--one who has more range than Rutledge (good football player and strong tackler, but probably better suited to FS in our defense) and better instincts than Baker.

In summary, I feel good about any defense that fields RJIII, Wade, Byrd, Ellis, and Duncan (at least four of these guys have a shot at the NFL), and which should expect contributions from a boatload of young players in most positions.

It reminds me a bit of the 2002 defense, which had excellent upperclassmen in Pesquiera, David Young, and Joe Scott, and which got real solid reps from talented young Eagles including Cabral, Rio, Hadley, and Butler.

With an experienced senior QB, I expect nothing less than a run at the SBC championship this season.

If this staff is the right fit for GS, they can put together a functional OL and find some guys to play CB.

In a normal season, that is. 2020 won't be a normal season.
    Excited About:
    1. The defensive front 7.
    2. I think we will have the best safety play we've had since 2015 at least and that will help with pass defense.
    3. Guys like Brian Miller, DJ Butler, Zyon McGee, and others who will hopefully come back and make an impact.

Unsure of, but hopeful about:
    1. Offensive line. I think we're going to be better talent wise. Of course that will mean getting younger at OL.
    2. Doug Ruse and offensive changes. Specifically, utilizing guys like Wes Kennedy and Khaleb Hood more (maybe not as much as half-n-half would like, but more).

Worries:
    1. Depth at certain positions.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Specifically, utilizing guys like Wes Kennedy and Khaleb Hood more (maybe not as much as half-n-half would like, but more).
    Speaking of Kennedy, I support using him like we did last season. While I still see him as a wing/all-purpose player, he's our only Gipson or Breida-like HR hitter at RB, so I approve using him as a tailback getting around 15 touches a game (he got 14.3 in 2019). King and Wright are grinders, not game breakers, and this offense doesn't function solely by grinding on defenses.

Hood definitely needs more touches, as does Thompson. Malik Murray is a fine receiver, though, so I don't see him taking a backseat to either one despite the difference in speed. Right now, concepts and execution are probably more crucial than speed in improving our passing game, so the advantage might go to Murray.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

I actually DO think pizza is junk food.
    It's not relevant to the thread unless pizza makes you more excited about Eagle football.

But...

Wheat, cheese, tomato sauce, a few toppings that can be as healthy as you make them...pizza is not necessarily junk food. Personally I would use the insult "junk food" for (a) fast food with lots of fat and/or sugar, or (b) processed food with lots of strange sounding ingredients.

And I actually AM excited by the OL--at least, it will have my attention--because that may very well be the key to our return to greatness.

8. Default Re: Excitement

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    It's not relevant to the thread unless pizza makes you more excited about Eagle football.

But...

Wheat, cheese, tomato sauce, a few toppings that can be as healthy as you make them...pizza is not necessarily junk food. Personally I would use the insult "junk food" for (a) fast food with lots of fat and/or sugar, or (b) processed food with lots of strange sounding ingredients.

And I actually AM excited by the OL--at least, it will have my attention--because that may very well be the key to our return to greatness.
    Pizza makes anyone with any sense more excited about everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post

But...

Rad, you know that is GS key to greatness, always has been, always will be. Poor o-line poor GS team, good O-line , good team. Great O-line, great GS team. Especially when our history has been run the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Rad, you know that is GS key to greatness, always has been, always will be. Poor o-line poor GS team, good O-line , good team. Great O-line, great GS team. Especially when our history has been run the ball.
    THIS!