TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Lunsford extended through 2024

Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

A lot of people say that Fritz won with FCS talent, but how many guys on the current squad would be starters on the '14 team? Outside of Kennedy, I don't think we have a single guy on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    A lot of people say that Fritz won with FCS talent, but how many guys on the current squad would be starters on the '14 team? Outside of Kennedy, I don't think we have a single guy on offense.
    Yeah I’m with you. I don’t buy the whole “FCS talent” argument. Talent is talent. Nobody gets a D1 scholarship that isn’t good or projects to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    I wonder if CL will drop his now-and-then use of "step on their throats."
    Right. Tough times are happening right now and we may see more and more changes to both behavior and use of words and phrases.

I’m fine with using some of the usual vernacular that “most” coaches use to describe dominating the opponent to gain victory BUT the use of phrases that imply racial dominance and lead to the death of others ... not so much.

Again, this is just me stepping up to say what I feel is how we should use our words. Others don’t have to agree but, then again, I try to love my fellow man and stick up for them regardless of race, color, creed, religion.

4. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post

I disagree.

All our RBs are as good as anyone on that team-just not as fast as Breida. (J.D. King signed with OSU for good reason... It wasn't that some FCS offer fell through.)

Shai is a better throwing QB than Ellison or Upshaw. I think he is probably less adept at running our offense than Ellison, but that guy was something really special. With competent coaching, his number would have been retired.

The problem isn't the athletes (except the line.) The problems are anemic playcalling, throw our hands up and just punt on 3rd downs-always, feeling out the defense, and just horrid blocking.

Sometimes, our athletes can overcome all that garbage. There's no question that we now have better athletes than we did overall at FCS. All these guys are better. We just can't block a damned ladybug anywhere on the field.

I think it's also important to point out that our kickers are MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better than anything we ever had in FCS. It's an important position. Good to see it is finally being taken seriously.

5. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    Right. Tough times are happening right now and we may see more and more changes to both behavior and use of words and phrases.

I’m fine with using some of the usual vernacular that “most” coaches use to describe dominating the opponent to gain victory BUT the use of phrases that imply racial dominance and lead to the death of others ... not so much.

Again, this is just me stepping up to say what I feel is how we should use our words. Others don’t have to agree but, then again, I try to love my fellow man and stick up for them regardless of race, color, creed, religion.
    You are completely misapplying today's unfortunate events to something CL used as a colloquialism.

There was never anything racial intended or implied.

That's just silly.

(And, no..... Football is not a game of love and respect. Just ask anyone who has ever been at the bottom of a pile on a fumbled ball how much love and respect is happening.)

Maybe we shouldn't say "GATA" in a #metoo world.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

7. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post

Everything is way to PC these days. Treat others the way you want to be treated and DO RIGHT!!

As far as CCL goes, he will be here as long as he wants to be here. Garns and I had this conversation face to face. Offensive line play was terrible. What this team went through mentally and emotionally last season with what happened with SW1 and the loss of a player(also what happened with quan), I'm impressed that we were 7-6. CCL gets it. It's not just the wins and losses he's responsible for, it's turning these young men into better men when they leave.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    Yeah I’m with you. I don’t buy the whole “FCS talent” argument. Talent is talent. Nobody gets a D1 scholarship that isn’t good or projects to be good.
    funny story and I posted this awhile back. When I was coach for a day(and wow what a great experience) it was under CM and we were still FCS. Early in the morning I was in CM’s office right before our “coaching day” was to get started, I mentioned to CM how his recruiting was good for being on FCS level and having good “FCS” talent. Let’s just say CM gave me that look and said”who says these guys are JUST FCS talent?”, “these kids are FBS talent”. True story. It was one of my greatest GS experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Maybe we shouldn't say "GATA" in a #metoo world.
    Nah, everybody has azzes. That's like "kick their butts" IMHO. I know you're being ironic. Still, I have to agree with eagle95 so I'm glad he spoke out, even if the cause is hopeless!

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    It was written into his original contract.

Lunsford has won 1 less game in 2 years than Fritz did, and I don't think anyone could've called Fritz 'mediocre'.
    How many conference titles has Lunsford won?

Our 2015 team would have buried the 2019 team.

Mind you...I'm not even mad at the extension...Lunsford is doing fine...he's good enough.

I'm just not gonna pretend he's Fritz. It's not even close right now. When you look at the analytics, those two Fritz teams were CLEARLY better than the 2018 and 2019 teams. They were better using the "eye test" as well.

Yards per play differential has a reliable correlation with winning.

If you look at yards per play differential...the 2019 team was one of the 5 worst teams we've ever fielded...even worse than our 2006 team.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 3rd June 2020 at 08:17 AM.