TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunsford extended through 2024

1. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    Only way it makes sense. We are currently going backwards at the moment and mediocre recruiting is not going to turn the tide. Trying to figure out how a you go 7-6, embarrassed by a homeless FBS start up to end of the year, back to back years mid conference pack recruiting in a top three talent state and get an extension? Guess it was just time the auto renewal needs to go, 7 wins should not be rewarded. I guess slogans go a long way. I would think after last year you would wait but he probably came cheap. Here is hope Ruse is OC by the end of the year to turn this around. I like Chad as a human being just as much as anyone on here and pulling for him just as much as anyone because I am a GS fan not a fan boy, but my gut feeling has always been this is not going to end well. He has the Erk motivational factor but I dont think he has the Saban get **** done at all costs factor or the Fritz organizational CEO factor. Also, please stop comparing what Chad did with Fritz, Fritz had and FCS roster not even at full scholarship IIRC. Chad was handed a seasoned FBS program that was only one and half years removed from being really good not one coming off an FCS 7-4 fourth place SoCon finish.
    +1

My thoughts exactly. I just hope this benefits us financially.

Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Anyone who would think it's easier to win with the 2019 offensive roster than the 2014 or 2015 one because there's more scholarships....I'm pretty sure you'll be in the minority there.

And we're going to need to still wait at least another year to try and judge recruiting with the current staff's first class from a full cycle are going to be redshirt freshmen or true sophomores this season. I remember some audible groans after taking players from SSU and Furman, but one of those guys is in an NFL camp and the other is an above-average Sun Belt linemen. If there's one aspect of coaching I'm confident CCL knows what he's doing it's running the recruiting apparatus.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Only way it makes sense. We are currently going backwards at the moment and mediocre recruiting is not going to turn the tide. Trying to figure out how a you go 7-6, embarrassed by a homeless FBS start up to end of the year, back to back years mid conference pack recruiting in a top three talent state and get an extension? Guess it was just time the auto renewal needs to go, 7 wins should not be rewarded. I guess slogans go a long way. I would think after last year you would wait but he probably came cheap. Here is hope Ruse is OC by the end of the year to turn this around. I like Chad as a human being just as much as anyone on here and pulling for him just as much as anyone because I am a GS fan not a fan boy, but my gut feeling has always been this is not going to end well. He has the Erk motivational factor but I dont think he has the Saban get **** done at all costs factor or the Fritz organizational CEO factor. Also, please stop comparing what Chad did with Fritz, Fritz had and FCS roster not even at full scholarship IIRC. Chad was handed a seasoned FBS program that was only one and half years removed from being really good not one coming off an FCS 7-4 fourth place SoCon finish.
    ..... have you seen our Coronavirus thread?

Hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

It’s almost as if we’ve heard this before....

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    CCL wins in his first 2 seasons: 17
    Fritz wins in his first 2 seasons: 18 (17 if you don't count the bowl games, which I do)

And that's with an offensive roster not nearly as good as Fritz had, and much tougher schedule overall across the two years.
    True...but neither one of those teams was as a good as the 2014 or 2015 team.

Yes having more, and higher level players compete for positions for years makes things worse....we had a better roster just way worse coaching. This is one main reason why the FCS goes 9-100 against the FBS every year. I dont need to wait on anything with recruits it is wins and losses at this point. He did not take over a talent / scholarship deficient team or had to reinvent the wheel like they have at Tech.

I hope my gut is wrong but face it, is anyone accusing Lunsford of being some master defensive or offensive guru? Nor is he doing anything but treading water in recruiting at best. This is heavily dependent on who he holds responsible if things dont go well. He better have a short leash this year or it will not take much to lose the fan base after last years performance. Three bad plays and it would have been a disaster.
    Lunsford is still living off of that flukey 2018 team.

He's a "fine" coach. He's AT LEAST average which is good enough at this point considering how bad Summers was.

We'll see if he can take the next step to above average or great.

I don't think anyone would say Lunsford is better than Fritz, Monken, Sewak, Stowers, Johnson, or Russell.

He's definitely better than BVG and Summers. I'm on the fence as to whether he's better than Hatcher. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

He's a "fine" coach. He's AT LEAST average which is good enough at this point considering how bad Summers was.

I don't think anyone would say Lunsford is better than Fritz, Monken, Sewak, Stowers, Johnson, or Russell.

He's definitely better than BVG and Summers. I'm on the fence as to whether he's better than Hatcher. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say yeah.
    He’s not living off one season. He’s living off a body of work he’s put in since taking the job. Quite a bit of which goes on behind the scenes and most don’t see. He’s done a fine job. Like any school not in the top 15 or so monetary programs, we have to hope he can continue to grow as a coach and consistently surround himself with good people. I think he will put us in a position to compete for a bowl game every year and we can hope the growth comes from that to putting us in position to win the conference.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    He’s not living off one season. He’s living off a body of work he’s put in since taking the job. Quite a bit of which goes on behind the scenes and most don’t see. He’s done a fine job. Like any school not in the top 15 or so monetary programs, we have to hope he can continue to grow as a coach and consistently surround himself with good people. I think he will put us in a position to compete for a bowl game every year and we can hope the growth comes from that to putting us in position to win the conference.
    CCL could go the Paul Johnson way or he could go the way of several head coaches we've hired from within the system or were part of the system that didn't work out. His first full season after the previous two gave much hope. Last year was so bad that we're all for the most part concerned. Recruiting was solid but from a ratings standpoint. SOO not sure about that just yet. Certainly could be some game changers with the outstanding in the right places. The Liberty fiasco still lingers. Hiring Ruse was a win for the off season. Crossing fingers this staff puts in the effort needed and then some.

9. Default Re: Lunsford extended through 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

Not better than Stowers?

You need to watch any of his games after 1989. We all know how that NC got won-and it had nothing to do with Tim Stowers.

I really don't think you have done your research.

"Up Da Middle" straight into your own players 3 times before is a punt-time after time and game after game- is not a winning strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    CCL could go the Paul Johnson way or he could go the way of several head coaches we've hired from within the system or were part of the system that didn't work out. His first full season after the previous two gave much hope. Last year was so bad that we're all for the most part concerned. Recruiting was solid but from a ratings standpoint. SOO not sure about that just yet. Certainly could be some game changers with the outstanding in the right places. The Liberty fiasco still lingers. Hiring Ruse was a win for the off season. Crossing fingers this staff puts in the effort needed and then some.
    I don’t see him going the Paul Johnson way. What he brings to the table as a personality and a football coach is just a LOT different.

All comparisons are wrong, but I see him more as a Stowers type of football coach, though with a more engaging personality, a la Hatcher.

Give him the kind of functional institutional support that neither of those coaches got, and he’ll probably accomplish more than they did.
    Last edited by pete4256; 31st May 2020 at 01:17 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops