TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern hires Brian Burg as head men's basketball coach

Default Re: Georgia Southern hires Brian Burg as head men's basketball coach

Neither come with "any" respect. That is unless your school wins the tournament and claims to be the 69th best team in the country.

What would give us more press? A first round upset in the NCAA's or winning the NIT? You all know the answer to that question.

Well the NIT is not what it use to be

Not what it used to be? I'd bet most on this board weren't born when the NIT was presitgous? Which is what, the 1960's? It's pretty much been irrelevant for the last 50 years.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Neither come with "any" respect. That is unless your school wins the tournament and claims to be the 69th best team in the country.

What would give us more press? A first round upset in the NCAA's or winning the NIT? You all know the answer to that question.

Not what it used to be? I'd bet most on this board weren't born when the NIT was presitgous? Which is what, the 1960's? It's pretty much been irrelevant for the last 50 years.
    The NIT was relevant until the NCAA tournament went from 32 to 64 teams

You compared the NIT to a pay to play tournament,......that's a hue difference. Now you are trying to turn it into NCAA bid vs Nit? come on man
    If we make the NIT it means we won the regular season title . If we make a pay to play tournament, it means we had a little extra change in our pocket.. big difference

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    You compared the NIT to a pay to play tournament,......that's a hue difference. Now you are trying to turn it into NCAA bid vs Nit? come on man
    If we make the NIT it means we won the regular season title . If we make a pay to play tournament, it means we had a little extra change in our pocket.. big difference
    WON the regular season title vs a team that placed 6th in the Mountain West. NIT at least has conference champions in it. Still prestigious post season tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    My point was none of them are prestigious to 99% of college basketball fans. CBI, NIT, etc.

My point was none of them are prestigious to 99% of college basketball fans. CBI, NIT, etc.
    thats your imo, lots of fans would love to see there team play in the NIT final in Madison Square Garden, I know if GS ever advanced that far it would be great.

The NIT home games don't all sell out neither does the MSG (they may if they use Gag State math). Doesn't sound prestigious or special to me. I wonder of WBB's tournament gets better ratings?

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    The NIT was relevant until the NCAA tournament went from 32 to 64 teams
    So in 1977 when #1 Indiana went undefeated that wasn't more relevant than the NIT tournament? Ok boomer.

When UCLA/Wooden won all those titles, what tournament was that in? NCAA or NIT? And what years was that?
    1964-1975 you say?
    Last edited by 1peatfor7; 9th April 2020 at 07:52 PM.

The NIT home games don't all sell out neither does the MSG (they may if they use Gag State math). Doesn't sound prestigious or special to me. I wonder of WBB's tournament gets better ratings?

So GS gets to the NIT finals at the Garden, no big deal right?, right.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    So GS gets to the NIT finals at the Garden, no big deal right?, right.
    well they are used to playing in empty stadiums lol.

Still say the Baylor win is bigger than a NIT final. Making 3 NCAA's in 5? 7? years is what gets you recruits and national exposure. Ron Hunter was on national tv as a broadcaster because of the NCAA tournament, where was the NIT championship coach?