TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Sun Belt be next

1. Default Re: Will the Sun Belt be next

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Sigh. Full societal shutdown? **** outta here.

I take it you didn't make really great grades in biology... Or economics. That's Ok. Your skills lie in other areas.

(This situation is dangerous as hell. Look at Italy. If that scenario happens here, we would see a healthcare and economic collapse.)

This thing is closely related to MERS-which lived and spread very well in high temperatures. If this thing doesn't die out with warmer weather, we got big problems. Hell-the entire EU closed itself off for 30 days. Canada is doing the same. We will likely follow. All this isn't going on because health experts think this bad boy is a mild cough or a little sniffle.

Even with a best-case scenario, we are looking at an economic depression. This is a world-altering event.

Default Re: Will the Sun Belt be next

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I take it you didn't make really great grades in biology... Or economics. That's Ok. Your skills lie in other areas.

(This situation is dangerous as hell. Look at Italy. If that scenario happens here, we would see a healthcare and economic collapse.)

This thing is closely related to MERS-which lived and spread very well in high temperatures. If this thing doesn't die out with warmer weather, we got big problems. Hell-the entire EU closed itself off for 30 days. Canada is doing the same. We will likely follow. All this isn't going on because health experts think this bad boy is a mild cough or a little sniffle.

Even with a best-case scenario, we are looking at an economic depression. This is a world-altering event.
    Color me unimpressed.

It's a world altering event because we're making it so.

I'm legitimately more worried about dying in a motor vehicle accident on the way to work than I am of dying from the Corona virus.

3. Default Re: Will the Sun Belt be next

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Color me unimpressed.

It's a world altering event because we're making it so.

Think about that last sentence. Real hard.

Back in '29, a dude couldn't get his $$$$ from the corner bank.... He got pissed and griped to his friends and neighbors. We know the rest.

Nothing is ever a big deal-until it is.

Panic is what matters in these situations. Doesn't matter what the source of the panic is, the panic becomes a snowball rolling downhill.... Just keeps getting bigger and harder to stop. Regardless of whether we look back on this and say "wow-what an overreaction!" or "Holy crap! We waited too long-this thing really got out of hand!" The panic is very real, and in many ways, it's all that matters.

Things start small. Whether it's a guy who can't draw on his bank account. Whether it's a dr in china trying to tell the world about a strange new contagion..... Everything always starts small. And it's not a big deal-until it is.

(Ten days ago, I didn't think this was any kind of a deal at all.... Wasn't a blip on my radar. Not trying to play like I know the answers. Just illustrating how critical and dangerous this situation is. This very well could lead to an economic collapse. 25T in debt is certainly not where I would prefer we start this dance.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Think about that last sentence. Real hard.

Back in '29, a dude couldn't get his $$$$ from the corner bank.... He got pissed and griped to his friends and neighbors. We know the rest.

Nothing is ever a big deal-until it is.

Panic is what matters in these situations. Doesn't matter what the source of the panic is, the panic becomes a snowball rolling downhill.... Just keeps getting bigger and harder to stop. Regardless of whether we look back on this and say "wow-what an overreaction!" or "Holy crap! We waited too long-this thing really got out of hand!" The panic is very real, and in many ways, it's all that matters.

Things start small. Whether it's a guy who can't draw on his bank account. Whether it's a dr in china trying to tell the world about a strange new contagion..... Everything always starts small. And it's not a big deal-until it is.

(Ten days ago, I didn't think this was any kind of a deal at all.... Wasn't a blip on my radar. Not trying to play like I know the answers. Just illustrating how critical and dangerous this situation is. This very well could lead to an economic collapse. 25T in debt is certainly not where I would prefer we start this dance.)
    The situation isn't any more dangerous than many other life risks. The overreaction is about public relations and the need to be seen "doing something" because ignorant people will believe that government, doctors, etc "should" be able to prevent these things. Media organizations are loving the 24 hour daily hype which increases fear and panic of the ignorant.
    Imagine if CNN reported on all 7800 daily fatalities in the US. People would freak. These restrictions on freedom hurt the economy for the sake of hoping healthcare providers can cope with a slower spread.
    I don't agree with shutting down 270 million for the sake of 50 million. The 50 million should abide by recommendations and take precautions. 270 million should go about our business.
    Before you blast me I get that you may be worried about vulnerable family and friends - take precautions. I've personally dealt with the deaths of both parents, all grandparents, many close uncle's, aunt's, and cousins. I've learned that life is short and I intend to enjoy it. I'm in no hurry, but I'm ok with whenever death comes.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    The situation isn't any more dangerous than many other life risks. The overreaction is about public relations and the need to be seen "doing something" because ignorant people will believe that government, doctors, etc "should" be able to prevent these things. Media organizations are loving the 24 hour daily hype which increases fear and panic of the ignorant.
    Imagine if CNN reported on all 7800 daily fatalities in the US. People would freak. These restrictions on freedom hurt the economy for the sake of hoping healthcare providers can cope with a slower spread.
    I don't agree with shutting down 270 million for the sake of 50 million. The 50 million should abide by recommendations and take precautions. 270 million should go about our business.
    Before you blast me I get that you may be worried about vulnerable family and friends - take precautions. I've personally dealt with the deaths of both parents, all grandparents, many close uncle's, aunt's, and cousins. I've learned that life is short and I intend to enjoy it. I'm in no hurry, but I'm ok with whenever death comes.
    This. It's a massive overreaction that's crippling an already shaky economy. The lives these measures supposedly save will likely be offset by the number of people facing dire financial situations due to this panicky response.

Everyone is too busy "looking concerned" instead of wondering whether any of this makes sense.

If no measures were taken, 40-80% of the population of the US would contract the virus this year, according to expert models. The CDC puts the *actual* case fatality rate at about 1%. Let's go to the low end. That means 130,880,000 Americans will get the virus. What's 1% of that? 1,308,800 people. One million fatalities. About the same number of all people who have ever died fighting for the US in a war in history. And that's before you account for the overwhelming of the health care system. If you have, say, 20 ventilators and 100 critically ill patients, basically 80 people will die who would not have if they had access to medical care. So, that 1% rate can rise into the 3-4% range nationally. What's 4% of the 130,880,000? 5,235,200 deaths. That's about the same as the entire population of South Carolina. It's a bigger population than over half the states.

Essentially, if we took no measures whatsoever to stop this thing, about 80% of people would get it and you'd quite possibly be looking at deaths in the eight figures and a CFR as high as 7-8%.

The idea behind what we're doing now is to keep the amount of sick people under the maximum amount that the healthcare system can handle. This keeps the overall fatality rate as low as possible. If the healthcare system gets overwhelmed, the fatality rate skyrockets. This is not a flu bug. This isn't something anyone alive has a built up immunity to. It's not going to go away any time soon, and if **** hits the fan here like it has in Italy, come September, football will be the last thing anyone is thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by BravesBrownsGS View Post
    If no measures were taken, 40-80% of the population of the US would contract the virus this year, according to expert models. The CDC puts the *actual* case fatality rate at about 1%. Let's go to the low end. That means 130,880,000 Americans will get the virus. What's 1% of that? 1,308,800 people. One million fatalities. About the same number of all people who have ever died fighting for the US in a war in history. And that's before you account for the overwhelming of the health care system. If you have, say, 20 ventilators and 100 critically ill patients, basically 80 people will die who would not have if they had access to medical care. So, that 1% rate can rise into the 3-4% range nationally. What's 4% of the 130,880,000? 5,235,200 deaths. That's about the same as the entire population of South Carolina. It's a bigger population than over half the states.

Essentially, if we took no measures whatsoever to stop this thing, about 80% of people would get it and you'd quite possibly be looking at deaths in the eight figures and a CFR as high as 7-8%.

The idea behind what we're doing now is to keep the amount of sick people under the maximum amount that the healthcare system can handle. This keeps the overall fatality rate as low as possible. If the healthcare system gets overwhelmed, the fatality rate skyrockets. This is not a flu bug. This isn't something anyone alive has a built up immunity to. It's not going to go away any time soon, and if **** hits the fan here like it has in Italy, come September, football will be the last thing anyone is thinking about.
    Everything will go back to normal within the next couple of months and businesses will open and media will be talking about other things. And the remaining Covid19 deaths will be out of sight, out of mind of most people like deaths from MRSA, the flu, and medical errors.

Either that, or football will in fact be the last thing you're thinking about as you say because we'll be in bread lines.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

This isn't something people are just gonna move on from. It's here and it's not going away. There will not be a 2020 football season. There will still be restrictions on travel and movement into 2021. Whether you agree or not is up to you. But it will happen.

I'll bet any amount with anyone that there will be football in 2020.

I have very very strong doubts, but if there is, there will be no fans in attendance. Which for most CFB programs would make it not worth playing and you might see them decide to sit out.