TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 LastLast

Thread: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglebacker View Post
    Byington has the philosophy he has. It isn’t going to change. We will remain a guard oriented team with heavy 3 point shooting emphasis. It just remains to be seen if that style will get us to the NCAA tourney
    Yep, we knew that when we got him, he coaches a lot like his mentor Crimmins. Well we are all pulling for the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Took 6 years for Coach K at Duke to win a ACC championship. It takes time to build a championship caliber program. Think of the shape our program was in when Coach B took over. He came in and made us competitive right away but had to do a patch job and depend on transfers and JC guys. He then went the HS route and we knew there would be a few lean years and there were but now we know we are competitive every year. We are no Duke or UNC or UK so being at or near the top of our league has us all spoiled. We always want more. Make it to NCAA then we got to get a win. Not enough to just make it. I’m certainly wanting us to win our conference championship game and make the tournament but in a 1 bid league it is dang hard to do because there are 8 other programs in our league that want the same thing. Much easier to Coach in a P5 conference where just breaking even gets you in the tournament. Unfortunately, some of our fan base compares our job to a Vandy or UGA or Ole Miss where just an average season gets in the tournament. We have to have a great season to get in and even then 1 off shooting night gets you upset and out of any tournament. I’m pulling for these guys to get it going down the stretch and win the whole thing which I know they can do but I also see some very talented teams ahead of us that can do the same thing. I see USA, UALR, TSU, UTA, Gag and App as very evenly matched and all could win this thing just like us. I really see TSU and USA fighting this thing out even though USA almost lost to a bottom dweller CCU team yesterday. Just goes to show that any given game any team in our conference can beat any other team. Going to be a heavy of a finish. Go Eagles!
    In year 4 coach K made the NCAA tournament. That would have been his first senior class. Back in those days, it was harder to have a quick turn around because players played 4 years of ball before going to the NBA. So the better teams were JR and SR top heavy. Also, freshman were not ready to play right away like they are today.
    In his first six seasons at Duke coach K has 1 regular season championship, 1 ACC tournament championship and 3 NCAA tournament appearances. CB has zero regular season championships, zero SB tournament championships and zero NCAA appearances. I don't see the pattern between the two careers. Also, Coach K had another NCAA appearance in his first 7 season. Unless CB pulls a rabbit out the hat, he will have zero.

Coach MB best year came in season 2. That was a roster of mostly CY players and Wiedeman (transfer) That was probably his best coaching job, but roster construction was key. It had 3 blue collar, clean the glass, stay in the paint type players. Wiedeman, Coye Simmons and Angle Matias. If Matias doesn't go down that year, it's a good chance we win the SB tournament.
    Building with HS players? We have gotten away from that now, we had 10 players getting minutes before Lamar left the team, 5 of those players came the way of transfers or JUCO college. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out that we have not been going the HS route as of late.

CB has done a good job building the program and getting the program to a good place, but IMO we have reached our ceiling with him. I hope I'm wrong about that because I really like him and I love GS basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    In year 4 coach K made the NCAA tournament. That would have been his first senior class. Back in those days, it was harder to have a quick turn around because players played 4 years of ball before going to the NBA. So the better teams were JR and SR top heavy. Also, freshman were not ready to play right away like they are today.
    Also, Coach K had 4 NCAA appearances in his first 7 season. Unless CB pulls a rabbit out the hat, he will have zero.

Coach MB best year came in season 2. That was a roster of mostly CY players and Wiedeman (transfer) That was probably his best coaching job, but roster construction was the key. It had 3 blue collar, clean the glass, stay in the paint type players. Wiedeman, Coye Simmons and Angle Matias. If Matias doesn't go down that year, it's a good chance we win the SB tournament.
    Building with HS players? We have gotten away from that now, we had 10 players getting minutes before Lamar left the team, 5 of those players came the way of transfers or JUCO college. Nothing wrong with that, just pointing out that we have not been going the HS route as of late.

CB has done a good job building the program and getting the program to a good place, but IMO we have reached our ceiling with him. I hope I'm wrong about that because I really like him and I love GS basketball.
    THIS

4. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Iím laughing that someone tried to compare the careers of CB and Coach K...

Quote Originally Posted by GSUALLDAY25 View Post
    Iím laughing that someone tried to compare the careers of CB and Coach K...
    Five months ago I was on the Folly pier and guy comes up to me with his family after seeing my Georgia Southern shirt and says, ďGeorgia Southern. Iím real close friends with Mark Byington. Heís got one hell of a team this year, and will be a Cinderella in March.Ē

His kids were there hanging on his every word, so I didnít chuckle.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...yzewski-1.html

Check his record at Army, then check out that he won a championship at Duke 1985-1986 when he started coaching at Duk e in 1980. As I said, it’s a much easier job at Duke because all he has to do is break even in conference to make it to the NCAA tourney. He doesn’t have to win it all like he would have at Army where he didn’t have one NCAA tournament appearance. Sorry for the confusion. But, when you are in a 1 bid conference and the standard is winning the conference tournament to get in the NCAA tournament then there is very little room for error. Coach K has plenty of room for error as does the majority of power 5 coaches. If you compare Coach K’s first 7 years of coaching to coach B then I think coach b has done pretty dang well. Coach K had some awful years at Army. I certainly think coach K is a great basketball coach but that is not the point. The point is it takes time to build a program. Yea, it’s a pretty dang high ceiling in the job he is in and conference he coaches in and not many coaches can break through that ceiling. Give him the job at UGA or Vandy or Ole Miss and the ceiling gets a lot lower. I’m pulling for the team but if I were betting each year I wouldn’t bet on any SunBelt team making the tournament because it’s impossible to tell who is going to be able to get through the tournament.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...yington-1.html

Just for reference here is the coaching record of Coach B first 6 years. Holler at me if you want but it looks pretty dang impressive to me. That same record at any P5 school would have had multiple NCAA tournament appearances by now. Enjoy beating him up all you want but you will miss him when he is gone. He has consistently put a winner on the court and very rarely gets blown out of any game which is difficult to do considering todayís climate of basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...yington-1.html

Just for reference here is the coaching record of Coach B first 6 years. Holler at me if you want but it looks pretty dang impressive to me. That same record at any P5 school would have had multiple NCAA tournament appearances by now. Enjoy beating him up all you want but you will miss him when he is gone. He has consistently put a winner on the court and very rarely gets blown out of any game which is difficult to do considering today’s climate of basketball.
    Price had some good teams too. It's getting close to time for a GS basketball team go to a post season and a real post season that you don't have to pay to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Price had some good teams too. It's getting close to time for a GS basketball team go to a post season and a real post season that you don't have to pay to enter.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I liked Price too but I think his undoing was academics, not W-L. Got our program in a mess APR as I recall. That is the other impressive part about coach B, he has graduated every senior so far. In basketball...not easy to do.