TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

1. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Anybody want to comment on Coach B and the team after today. Beat a good UTA team by 20 at their place. Team played good D, got good shots on offense and made FTs. So, anybody else willing to acknowledge the excellent coaching job done today. BTW, TSU is a really good team and probably playing the best of any team in our league. They are controlling GagState now.
    I will. Great game by team and staff today. A well earned conference win! Hail Southern! However, that doesnít change the fact that Byington is undoubtedly going to underwhelm us all at the end of the season.

Weíve seen him win a regular season game in Arlington before, we just havenít seen him win in NOLA. Feel free to solicit us all for comments after that happens and Iíll gladly be the first in line to eat crow.

Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

So, unless he wins the SunBelt championship he has failed as a coach. Man, that’s tough. Don’t know that many coaches would want our job if that’s the standard. He has graduated all seniors, had us in the top 4 most seasons and we’ve been to semis and finals. I don’t think we can beat TSU or UALR this year because both of those teams are really talented. BTW, TSU has just beaten GAG so next Friday night will be huge in ATL. I think we are tied for 3rd.

There is no question CB always has us competitive, the question is when will he get one of his team's to NIT or NCAA's. We beat a sub 500 team today on their home court after they beat GagST, a conference win on the road is ALWAYS a good thing. Now, let's go up to GagSt and snap our 4 game losing streak to them. Come home and beat ArkSt and see where we land. Currently, Texas St and USA are playing the best basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    There is no question CB always has us competitive, the question is when will he get one of his team's to NIT or NCAA's. We beat a sub 500 team today on their home court after they beat GagST, a conference win on the road is ALWAYS a good thing. Now, let's go up to GagSt and snap our 4 game losing streak to them. Come home and beat ArkSt and see where we land. Currently, Texas St and USA are playing the best basketball.
    Competitive. Absolutely.

Can he make us serious contenders?
    I honestly donít think so.

The question is what is the standard for excellence for our menís basketball program? Is it solid graduation rates? Being competitive year in year out? Is it having players who are solid citizens?
    Does he also have to regularly Contend for a conference championship and get us to post season play?
    If we are satisfied with just the first three then fine.
    IMO, that standard would not cut it for our football program.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    Competitive. Absolutely.

Can he make us serious contenders?
    I honestly don’t think so.

The question is what is the standard for excellence for our men’s basketball program? Is it solid graduation rates? Being competitive year in year out? Is it having players who are solid citizens?
    Does he also have to regularly Contend for a conference championship and get us to post season play?
    If we are satisfied with just the first three then fine.
    IMO, that standard would not cut it for our football program.
    the last time our football team did it was 2014.

So, unless he wins the SunBelt championship he has failed as a coach. Man, that’s tough. Don’t know that many coaches would want our job if that’s the standard. He has graduated all seniors, had us in the top 4 most seasons and we’ve been to semis and finals. I don’t think we can beat TSU or UALR this year because both of those teams are really talented. BTW, TSU has just beaten GAG so next Friday night will be huge in ATL. I think we are tied for 3rd.
    Every now and then a SB championship would be nice(smile).

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    the last time our football team did it was 2014.
    And we eventually changed coaches.

8. Default Re: MBB - Eagles vs Bobcats (8pm / Strahan Arena)

So, unless he wins the SunBelt championship he has failed as a coach. Man, thatís tough. Donít know that many coaches would want our job if thatís the standard. He has graduated all seniors, had us in the top 4 most seasons and weíve been to semis and finals. I donít think we can beat TSU or UALR this year because both of those teams are really talented. BTW, TSU has just beaten GAG so next Friday night will be huge in ATL. I think we are tied for 3rd.
    You donít know many coaches who would want to coach for a program that has winning standards? Interesting. The football program has standards, why not the basketball program?

I donít recall anybody saying coach is, or would be a failure. IMO if somebody is paying you a quarter of a million dollars to do something, you canít be a failure, but you can underwhelm and/or underdeliver.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I will. Great game by team and staff today. A well earned conference win! Hail Southern! However, that doesnít change the fact that Byington is undoubtedly going to underwhelm us all at the end of the season.

Weíve seen him win a regular season game in Arlington before, we just havenít seen him win in NOLA. Feel free to solicit us all for comments after that happens and Iíll gladly be the first in line to eat crow.
    +1

This team has choked away five conference games this year they had no business losing. Six if you count the Little Rock game but that looked more like exhaustion that night. We are still in the hunt to be in the top four. We could and probably should be in first. The complaint is when we lose we often beat ourselves.