TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 App Game......

1. Default 2014 App Game......

I was bored, so I went back and watched the 2014 game against App......

Wow! I had kind of lost track of just how sweet this team looked......

Blocking-everywhere! And stuff which was actually complex. Beautiful shifts, pulling guards to run over and overload a side for the RB. Just beautiful stuff! (at least way more complex than guys just standing around.)

Questions:

-How come we make everything look so freaking impossible now? (blocking has just turned full dumpster compared to those days.)

-When will we ever use formations that make sense again? (This bobsled thing is really pissing me off..... We waste so many guys in the backfield now-and either they don't seem to be fast enough to throw a good block, or they don't know where to do it. I've never understood the logic of having so many guys in the backfield.....The 2014 gang would often use only an A back and the second back would line up forward to the side. That guy could be a pitch man, could throw a block, whatever. I liked that formation a lot.)

-How the hell come Ruse is not back here right now?

And yes. This seems like praise for Fritz. He was a good coach. Especially for that to be his first year. But I will never be able to overlook the horrible way he left.

Default Re: 2014 App Game......

I don’t expect to dominate every conference mate like we did in ‘14 and somewhat in ‘15, although it was definitely a beautiful time to be an Eagle. Those two years felt the same as our domination during most SoCon years when I as a youngster would actually complain that it got boring showing up at Paulson already knowing the outcome. These past few years have made me realize that I would never again think it’s boring to dominate. Anyways, we need to be competing for conference championships again and not just playing spoiler to App State’s success

3. Default Re: 2014 App Game......

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveEAGLE24 View Post
    I don’t expect to dominate every conference mate like we did in ‘14 and somewhat in ‘15, although it was definitely a beautiful time to be an Eagle. Those two years felt the same as our domination during most SoCon years when I as a youngster would actually complain that it got boring showing up at Paulson already knowing the outcome. These past few years have made me realize that I would never again think it’s boring to dominate. Anyways, we need to be competing for conference championships again and not just playing spoiler to App State’s success
    Yep.

Watching that game again also made me appreciate Ellison and Upshaw even more.

Hell, Ramsby and Breida.

All on the Same team.

What a boat load of talent

Everything makes more sense when you stop trying to convince yourself Fritz is overrated.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

That’s also what happens when you put together an offensive staff that has some really good you g coaches on it....

Alex Atkins - Now OL coach at FSU
    Dell McGee - Now RB coach/assistant head coach at UGA
    Chad Lunsford - Now our head coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Back to jcountry's original point. Regardless of the difference in talent level. We ran some thing in an OC's first year that was more complicated, and we made it look simple. Last year, in an OC's second year, we ran something simpler, and made it look more complicated.

7. Default Re: 2014 App Game......

We just needed the first 2 years to feel out the SBC defenses.

8. Default Re: 2014 App Game......

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Back to jcountry's original point. Regardless of the difference in talent level. We ran some thing in an OC's first year that was more complicated, and we made it look simple. Last year, in an OC's second year, we ran something simpler, and made it look more complicated.
    This is what I don't understand......

It's not rocket science.

Just look at the O line during that game. They looked on par with the very best Navy, GT, or Army lines..... Speed, athleticism, and MOST IMPORTANTLY understanding of what they were doing.

There seemed to be no confusion about who, where, or when to block.

Looks so fluid and easy.

My main concern these days is the understanding part. Last season (and the season prior,) stuff just looked so confused. I really don't think these guys are understanding what they are supposed to be doing. With the simple plays we ran (poorly,) most of the season...... It's very tough to understand what these guys are being told.

It is what it is for 2020, but I would feel much better if we at least had a Co-Oc.

14/15 also had a bunch of option OL on the roster....guys that had good feet and were quick to get downfield who had been with coaches good at developing them for their entire career.

The recruiting from 16/17, which is what we're relying on right now, did not recruit that kind of OL. And we damn sure had a dropoff in player development for a while there.

Find me an OT on our roster right now that looks like Garret Frye. Find a H-back that looks like Govan, Dean, or Ward (2015 version). Find me a center that looks like Manrey Saint-Amour.

Some of our issues are in fact personnel related. It's not 100% our issue but it does have a pretty big impact. This year is where we should see if our coaching and recruiting has gotten us close to what we need it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    14/15 also had a bunch of option OL on the roster....guys that had good feet and were quick to get downfield who had been with coaches good at developing them for their entire career.

The recruiting from 16/17, which is what we're relying on right now, did not recruit that kind of OL. And we damn sure had a dropoff in player development for a while there.

Find me an OT on our roster right now that looks like Garret Frye. Find a H-back that looks like Govan, Dean, or Ward (2015 version). Find me a center that looks like Manrey Saint-Amour.

Some of our issues are in fact personnel related. It's not 100% our issue but it does have a pretty big impact. This year is where we should see if our coaching and recruiting has gotten us close to what we need it to be.
    In the press release from when we announced signing the guy from Jacksonville University Lunsford said how excited he was to have somebody that was already use to playing offensive line in an option attack.