TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 98

Thread: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

  1. #61

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    That's not what I said. We have Houston, BYU, and Boise coming. Teams like THAT are who we need to continue scheduling! ONE game is not going to make or break anything but some our bruised little egos.

    BTW, you do realize that all of those except the FCS team that you mentioned are conference foes and are not going to change anytime soon right?
    I like "name brand" G5 teams, next best thing to any P5. And yes I'm well aware of who are Conferance foes are, Furman, Wofford, Elon, western Carolina Oops! Got my/our conferences mixed up. You want to know what bruises egos?, repeated 7-5 records in the SB. Most of us are resigned to the fact a P5 program is never coming to Statesboro. Troy yes, USA yes, CCU in their dinky little stadium, yes but Paulson stadium....

  2. #62

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    This. I honestly don’t get the fixation on this. What tangible benefit does the program get out of hosting a P5 other than message board fodder? Most of the teams that move the needle on attendance (for that one game) are likely losses. Most that are winnable likely have a negligible impact, attendance wise.

    We need wins, wins, and more wins. We need people questioning our streak of 10-win seasons because of our ‘weak’ schedule, rather than us ‘touting’ the fact that we ‘played’ (and got brutalized by) the eventual national champs, like I just saw posted from our school on FB.
    bingo, bingo, see Appy as reference. Playing P5's is important and since we are going to keep playing them, imo, it would be nice to have a P5 home game every 10-15 years or so, what the heck.

  3. #63

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Yep, playing Wake Forest in Paulson will double our budget and change the trajectory of our whole program all by itself overnight. The other 70,000 or so living alumni that we have that aren't already boosters will immediately open their checkbooks and give til it hurts.
    dont forget the Savannah market, once we crack that it will be like Augusta high cotton baby, rolling in the dough along with a 33% increase in our fan base.(smile). We need to be the best GS can be. Be that like Appy, Boise, UCF, Memphis. Just be the best we can.

  4. #64

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Can't wait for the new AD to come in and not get any P5's at home either. TFL will be in meltdown mode as always asking for his/her head.

    LIke I said before, if you want to donate $3M to give up a home and home and do a 2 for 1 please do so. While you are at it, increase season tickets to 10K so we can upgrade the suites/press box. Oh and while we are fantasizing, let's get 5K boosters.

    Our fans want steak on a dollar menu budget.

    Too much of our Alumni are perfectly willing to pay steak prices, provided they get to eat it in Athens. That's probably the biggest hold back to our program moving forward.

    Y'all, I really don't give a rat's behind if we play a P5 in Paulson anytime soon. I just want to WIN.
    A sharp decline by that team in Athens would help, but we aren't selling more season tickets just by getting beat at home by a P5. We've got to #1: GET BETTER. Get back to whipping most of the teams we play regardless of where the game is played. I don't worry about keeping away from running a particular kind of offense due to P5's be unwilling to face it, AKA - being scared of it!

    You want to give up money games to play teams in Paulson? Well, we better dang well WIN that game or at the very least, put the fear of Bjesus in the them. That ain't going to happen until we improve our offensive production. Let's hope that gets back on track next season.

    In the meantime, I'm VERY content to winning those games on the road if we can and if we lose - taking our money to the bank and keeping that loss behind closed doors where half our Alumni didn't even realize we were playing that weekend. You know that we are going to promote the #!%@# out of the game when we get a P5 in Paulson, and when we do that - we'll get a chance to engage the attention of those Alums we want to convert into season ticket holders, losing that game imop - hurts us more than helps us.

    IMOP- the best plan is to schedule 1 winnable P5 on the road each year (only because we need the money), a H/H with an OOC G5 and just WIN those games. If we get into the undefeated G5 discussion late in the season each year and can win our conference/make it to the CCG nearly every year, then we will see season ticket sales rise, then we will see Paulson expansion.
    We don't have enough seats to make any $ on a home P5 game right now anyway, so that expansion is important to pad that loss of revenue when we do schedule P5s at home.


    We do that, and get talked about with the unbeaten G5 teams late in the season for several years and you'll see a rise in attendance, ticket sales and recruiting even without a home P5.

    It only helps us if we win the home P5. Some of y'all want BAMA in Paulson. I'd pay extra for that NOT to happen.
    Being undefeated near or at the end of the season would do more for our program right now than anything or any P5 we could get to come to Statesboro. Regardless of SOS, just don't lose and we get in the discussion and probably even the Access Bowl if we win our CCG.

  5. #65

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Bringing a P5 program into Paulson would benefit the program a number of ways.

    1. It would legitimize us in "big boy football" in the eyes of the casual fans who probably still think we play in Division II or something. And before you dismiss those fans, earn their support and I hear their money spends just as good as all you top dollar booster's money does.

    2. It breaks the ice on getting other future games in Paulson. If we host a P5 school, have a good showing in regard to game day atmosphere, experience for that team, etc, regardless of the results on the field, those coaches and AD's talk, and they can share how good it was for their (the P5 school) program to play in Statesboro due to recruiting, etc.

    3. If we get enough of them, we're bound to win one sooner or later. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Get them in Paulson and lets see what the kids can do.

  6. #66

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Bringing a P5 program into Paulson would benefit the program a number of ways.

    1. It would legitimize us in "big boy football" in the eyes of the casual fans who probably still think we play in Division II or something. And before you dismiss those fans, earn their support and I hear their money spends just as good as all you top dollar booster's money does.

    2. It breaks the ice on getting other future games in Paulson. If we host a P5 school, have a good showing in regard to game day atmosphere, experience for that team, etc, regardless of the results on the field, those coaches and AD's talk, and they can share how good it was for their (the P5 school) program to play in Statesboro due to recruiting, etc.

    3. If we get enough of them, we're bound to win one sooner or later. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Get them in Paulson and lets see what the kids can do.
    +1, if all these other "poor" G5 programs are doing it, why can't lacking funds GS do it. Those other schools seem to get by.

  7. #67

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Too much of our Alumni are perfectly willing to pay steak prices, provided they get to eat it in Athens. That's probably the biggest hold back to our program moving forward.

    Y'all, I really don't give a rat's behind if we play a P5 in Paulson anytime soon. I just want to WIN.
    A sharp decline by that team in Athens would help, but we aren't selling more season tickets just by getting beat at home by a P5. We've got to #1: GET BETTER. Get back to whipping most of the teams we play regardless of where the game is played. I don't worry about keeping away from running a particular kind of offense due to P5's be unwilling to face it, AKA - being scared of it!

    You want to give up money games to play teams in Paulson? Well, we better dang well WIN that game or at the very least, put the fear of Bjesus in the them. That ain't going to happen until we improve our offensive production. Let's hope that gets back on track next season.

    In the meantime, I'm VERY content to winning those games on the road if we can and if we lose - taking our money to the bank and keeping that loss behind closed doors where half our Alumni didn't even realize we were playing that weekend. You know that we are going to promote the #!%@# out of the game when we get a P5 in Paulson, and when we do that - we'll get a chance to engage the attention of those Alums we want to convert into season ticket holders, losing that game imop - hurts us more than helps us.

    IMOP- the best plan is to schedule 1 winnable P5 on the road each year (only because we need the money), a H/H with an OOC G5 and just WIN those games. If we get into the undefeated G5 discussion late in the season each year and can win our conference/make it to the CCG nearly every year, then we will see season ticket sales rise, then we will see Paulson expansion.
    We don't have enough seats to make any $ on a home P5 game right now anyway, so that expansion is important to pad that loss of revenue when we do schedule P5s at home.


    We do that, and get talked about with the unbeaten G5 teams late in the season for several years and you'll see a rise in attendance, ticket sales and recruiting even without a home P5.

    It only helps us if we win the home P5. Some of y'all want BAMA in Paulson. I'd pay extra for that NOT to happen.
    Being undefeated near or at the end of the season would do more for our program right now than anything or any P5 we could get to come to Statesboro. Regardless of SOS, just don't lose and we get in the discussion and probably even the Access Bowl if we win our CCG.
    +1, most alumni arnt staying in Bulloch county, "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing.

  8. #68

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Bringing a P5 program into Paulson would benefit the program a number of ways.

    1. It would legitimize us in "big boy football" in the eyes of the casual fans who probably still think we play in Division II or something. And before you dismiss those fans, earn their support and I hear their money spends just as good as all you top dollar booster's money does.

    2. It breaks the ice on getting other future games in Paulson. If we host a P5 school, have a good showing in regard to game day atmosphere, experience for that team, etc, regardless of the results on the field, those coaches and AD's talk, and they can share how good it was for their (the P5 school) program to play in Statesboro due to recruiting, etc.

    3. If we get enough of them, we're bound to win one sooner or later. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Get them in Paulson and lets see what the kids can do.
    I couldn't disagree more.

    1: Only winning those games will legitimize us in "big boy football", and it doesn't matter where we win those games for that to happen. I'd rather take eat their lunch and take their money! Until we win those games, that Alumni base that would rather sit in Athens isn't going to care if we get beat at home by a Clemson. They wouldn't care if we won a game at home against Wake Forrest either as they have no respect for weak P5s. We've built this program on WINNING. That % has dropped, our support rises when we raise that %. (It's helped when uga's % drops)
    And GAST isn't going to be legitimized by GT driving a few extra blocks to play them. They might even win the game as bad as GT is. But we have to understand that GAST HAS the seats to cash in if GT brings 40k. I'm not sure how motivated GT fans will be though considering they have a hard time finding their way to fill Bobby Dodd even when facing an ACC team.

    2: Regardless of the on field results? Really? So that we can impress some P5 ADs on how nice it is to come beat GA Southern? Sounds like the same idea of us not running what they have the hardest time stopping so they will play us more and have a better chance of beating us... home or away. WHAT? No, I say we run what gives them nightmares and if they have the balls to schedule us, we run it down their throats whenever and wherever they want to try and stop it. Paulson should be a hostile environment on the field and GA Southern should be a well known risk... I like it that way..

    3. Let's see "the kids" start hanging 35 to 40 points on the board every Saturday before we bring the wolves to Paulson how about it? Let's go undefeated and see what the kids can do in the Access Bowl how about it? Let's see if the kids can win the Sun Belt each year and win some more of those P5s on the road so we can then offer them a shot at redemption in Paulson. Maybe set up a scheduling deal with some P5 teams as away money games with a clause that says IF we pull off the win, they have to give us a H/H or They can then keep their $ for that loss in exchange for coming to Paulson (which converts that game into a h/h series with built in game hype). IDK, but until we start winning these games, I'm fine playing them on the road. And we need more seats in Paulson to recover the loss of revenue for not playing that game on the road. We need the money for our budget. We can't afford these home P5s right now unless you are suggesting we still play our money game on the road in addition to these home P5s. It that case, you are making our schedule out to be more like a P5 schedule, but without P5 recruiting or their $. That is a formula for a terrible winning %. Which leads to drop offs in attendance, ticket sales and donations. Which makes us more dependent on P5 money. WINNING - regardless of SOS raises All of those things.

    Eventually, YES. I'd love to play some good P5's in Paulson. But we have fallen off in our ability to win. Only winning can turn this around, no amount of losing to P5's at home is going to put us back on the right track. And until we can win in the Sun Belt and these away P5 games, there is little reason to believe we have a decent chance of making those "shots". I don't follow basketball, really don't like the sport - but I'm guessing a game plan built around just shooting 3 pointers would lose you more games than you'd win. And right now, that's all it would be.

  9. #69

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Bringing a P5 program into Paulson would benefit the program a number of ways.

    1. It would legitimize us in "big boy football" in the eyes of the casual fans who probably still think we play in Division II or something. And before you dismiss those fans, earn their support and I hear their money spends just as good as all you top dollar booster's money does.

    2. It breaks the ice on getting other future games in Paulson. If we host a P5 school, have a good showing in regard to game day atmosphere, experience for that team, etc, regardless of the results on the field, those coaches and AD's talk, and they can share how good it was for their (the P5 school) program to play in Statesboro due to recruiting, etc.

    3. If we get enough of them, we're bound to win one sooner or later. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Get them in Paulson and lets see what the kids can do.
    1. I think that's highly debatable. You're willing to give a team a free home game just to get a Power 5 in your own stadium and that will "legitimize" us?

    2. I doubt anyone in any P5 fan base will know or care if they're the first team to come to our stadium. Why would they view coming to play at Paulson any differently than coming to play ULM or App State? We're just another Sun Belt team to them. But even if your average fan is going to do research on what kind of home opponents we had or have, you still have Boise, Houston, and BYU there. How much are lower-tier P5s really going to look down on that?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  10. #70

    Default Re: State Announces Home and Home with Tech

    Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    I couldn't disagree more.

    1: Only winning those games will legitimize us in "big boy football", and it doesn't matter where we win those games for that to happen. I'd rather take eat their lunch and take their money! Until we win those games, that Alumni base that would rather sit in Athens isn't going to care if we get beat at home by a Clemson. They wouldn't care if we won a game at home against Wake Forrest either as they have no respect for weak P5s. We've built this program on WINNING. That % has dropped, our support rises when we raise that %. (It's helped when uga's % drops)
    And GAST isn't going to be legitimized by GT driving a few extra blocks to play them. They might even win the game as bad as GT is. But we have to understand that GAST HAS the seats to cash in if GT brings 40k. I'm not sure how motivated GT fans will be though considering they have a hard time finding their way to fill Bobby Dodd even when facing an ACC team.

    2: Regardless of the on field results? Really? So that we can impress some P5 ADs on how nice it is to come beat GA Southern? Sounds like the same idea of us not running what they have the hardest time stopping so they will play us more and have a better chance of beating us... home or away. WHAT? No, I say we run what gives them nightmares and if they have the balls to schedule us, we run it down their throats whenever and wherever they want to try and stop it. Paulson should be a hostile environment on the field and GA Southern should be a well known risk... I like it that way..

    3. Let's see "the kids" start hanging 35 to 40 points on the board every Saturday before we bring the wolves to Paulson how about it? Let's go undefeated and see what the kids can do in the Access Bowl how about it? Let's see if the kids can win the Sun Belt each year and win some more of those P5s on the road so we can then offer them a shot at redemption in Paulson. Maybe set up a scheduling deal with some P5 teams as away money games with a clause that says IF we pull off the win, they have to give us a H/H or They can then keep their $ for that loss in exchange for coming to Paulson (which converts that game into a h/h series with built in game hype). IDK, but until we start winning these games, I'm fine playing them on the road. And we need more seats in Paulson to recover the loss of revenue for not playing that game on the road. We need the money for our budget. We can't afford these home P5s right now unless you are suggesting we still play our money game on the road in addition to these home P5s. It that case, you are making our schedule out to be more like a P5 schedule, but without P5 recruiting or their $. That is a formula for a terrible winning %. Which leads to drop offs in attendance, ticket sales and donations. Which makes us more dependent on P5 money. WINNING - regardless of SOS raises All of those things.

    Eventually, YES. I'd love to play some good P5's in Paulson. But we have fallen off in our ability to win. Only winning can turn this around, no amount of losing to P5's at home is going to put us back on the right track. And until we can win in the Sun Belt and these away P5 games, there is little reason to believe we have a decent chance of making those "shots". I don't follow basketball, really don't like the sport - but I'm guessing a game plan built around just shooting 3 pointers would lose you more games than you'd win. And right now, that's all it would be.
    1. What gives us a better chance of beating those teams - playing in Paulson or playing at their stadium?

    2. When I said regardless of results, I meant the experience surrounding the game NOT taking into account the outcome. I see that I could have worded it differently.

    3. Any games we schedule now will be 3-5 years down the road, so my hope is that our team is out of this current funk by then and more competitive overall. You seem really bitter about this past season, as I'm sure we all are, but that poor offensive performance has to be the exception not the rule. Otherwise it wont matter who we schedule because we'll get run out of any stadium we play in.

Similar Threads

  1. Home and Home announced vs Liberty Flames
    By Joseph in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 29th December 2017, 02:22 PM
  2. Replies: 71
    Last Post: 5th June 2016, 08:25 PM
  3. Georgia State v. Army - Home & Home Arrangement
    By EagleLaw in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 27th August 2015, 10:33 AM
  4. Home and Home with Kent State
    By willgsu in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 9th April 2014, 08:58 AM
  5. To make Football fun next two years ODU home/home
    By gsu1moretime in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th March 2013, 07:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •