TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 73

Thread: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

  1. #31

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The SoS argument is dead and should be for any GS fan.

    Look at the difference between our schedule and App's.

    Who fared better this year?
    Heck, App isn't even as good as they were last year but because they have 2 lower-tier P5s instead of Penn State they can finish ranked.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  2. #32

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    I believe every P5 in the country would have to have 3 loses for an undefeated G5 to even sniff the playoffs in the current system regardless of schedule.

    2017 UCF had a win over #16 and #22 and were #12 at the end of the season. Ahead of them were zero undefeateds, five 1 loss, five 2 loss, and a 3 loss. #13 was a 4 loss.

    2018 UCF had a win over #19 and were #8 at the end of the season. Ahead of them were three undefeateds, two 1 loss, and two 2 loss. #9 was a 3 loss.

    In their Access Bowl with a redshirt freshman QB playing for their injured starter, they lost by one score to an LSU team that dominated a UGA team that ended the season at #5 and many were arguing deserved a spot in the playoffs. As time expired, one of the announcers....one who was likely arguing for UGA to be in the playoffs...said with a touch of snark for which I would have enjoyed punching him in the throat "....and UCF proves they don't belong in the playoffs." That bit should say it all for anyone who thinks the G5 has "a chance" in the current system because it's the attitude of a lot of the people who make the choices.

    Oh, and UCF only got as high as the did in 2018 because of where they started. So a G5 has to also do really good the year before the year they get a chance. When pollsters do **** like put a ****ing 4-8 Nebraska team in the top 25.....

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    29,102

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The SoS argument is dead and should be for any GS fan.

    Look at the difference between our schedule and App's.

    Who fared better this year?

    And this is why I hope things change when it goes to 8 teams. Right now there is ZERO reason for a G5 to have a tough OOC schedule unless you are going for playoffs or bust. If App has LSU on their schedule this year instead of South Carolina they wouldn’t have even been in the discussion.

    Right now if you are the AAC champions you are basically guaranteed the Access Bowl unless you screw up and schedule a tough OOC opponent. So they are going to take the sure thing and not risk it.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    In their own mind! ;-)
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    UCF had 12 perfect seasons in a row?
    In their own mind! ;-)

    GSU 10 wins over UCFs 1 win during our 11 game series. Just wanted to say that.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Hypothetically, had Southern gone undefeated THiS year, beating an otherwise unbeaten LSU, and very good Minnesota team, where would we be ranked?
    Between 23 & 18
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,053

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    And this is why I hope things change when it goes to 8 teams. Right now there is ZERO reason for a G5 to have a tough OOC schedule unless you are going for playoffs or bust. If App has LSU on their schedule this year instead of South Carolina they wouldn’t have even been in the discussion.

    Right now if you are the AAC champions you are basically guaranteed the Access Bowl unless you screw up and schedule a tough OOC opponent. So they are going to take the sure thing and not risk it.
    I can see your point Half, but we must progress and not regress. A top ratted P5 + a middle ranked P5 not only pays high revenue but we should be able to keep one close and beat the other or maybe both at top strenth. I know that doesn't mean much as far as P5 teams as far as the playoffs are concerned , but a great bowl against a P5 team, beating them, getting national recognition while getting a very good payout to support our sports teams would be great even if we did not make the P5 playoffs.

    I'm in favor of a G5 8 team playoff. If the top ranked G5 team can make a great bowl then they should be allowed to go just as the AAC teams will be allowed.

    *******There are plenty of bowls for the other teams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Their are over 2200 viewers on the board at this time but no responses?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  8. Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    I'm fine with a G5 playoff - beats playing Liberty in a bowl on Dec 21st, with hopes next year of winning the SB, being ranked, and getting to play a powerhouse like UAB.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post
    I'm fine with a G5 playoff - beats playing Liberty in a bowl on Dec 21st, with hopes next year of winning the SB, being ranked, and getting to a powerhouse like UAB.
    We could play Liberty in a G5 playoff. Would that make it more palatable for you?

  10. Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

    Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    We could play Liberty in a G5 playoff. Would that make it more palatable for you?
    If we did, both teams would for sure be playing at a MUCH higher level than this year. But, while I think we can bring our program back up to the level of Appy, CFU, Memphis, Boise St, etc, I don't believe Liberty could. JMHO.

Similar Threads

  1. This year's 128 Team Playoff
    By NWGaEagle in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16th December 2014, 07:15 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •