TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

They should have had 8 teams in the beginning.
    Soaring on to the Sunbelt! GATA Eagles!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Given our performance against teams like Maine and USA, not even in the top 40.

We have had a couple brilliant games, and a few really bad ones.

Gotta really work on consistency

Undefeated with wins over 3 ranked teams wouldn’t get us in the top 40? Haha okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

A G5 could definitely make the playoffs as it’s structured now. UCF’s problem was they played NOBODY OOC.

This year would be the perfect scenario for a G5 to get in the playoffs. But they would have to be undefeated and have a couple of impressive OOC wins. The flip side is it’s stupid for a G5 to play a tough schedule because that is going to minimize your chances for the Access Bowl.

Hopefully when this thing goes to 8 the OOC schedule for G5’s will become an important part of the team that’s selected.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

4. Default Re: Hmmm, an 8 team P5 playoff now being talked about

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Hypothetically, had Southern gone undefeated THiS year, beating an otherwise unbeaten LSU, and very good Minnesota team, where would we be ranked?
    Higher than App is ranked now. LSU and Minnesota are significantly better than USC and UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    A G5 could definitely make the playoffs as it’s structured now. UCF’s problem was they played NOBODY OOC.

This year would be the perfect scenario for a G5 to get in the playoffs. But they would have to be undefeated and have a couple of impressive OOC wins. The flip side is it’s stupid for a G5 to play a tough schedule because that is going to minimize your chances for the Access Bowl.

Hopefully when this thing goes to 8 the OOC schedule for G5’s will become an important part of the team that’s selected.
    Houston could've made it in 2016 if Tom Herman wasn't running around auctioning himself. They beat Oklahoma and a top-10 Louisville. 2009 Boise could've had a conversation as well. If the AAC wants to be in the conversation they can't choose to play only teams that will give them home-and-homes like Maryland and Pitt.

No one can tell me it's fair to put UCF in over any of the teams that made it in 2017 when they basically won their G5 conference and they beat the mess out of a bad Maryland team.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

SOS boys, your OOC schedule better enhance your overall SOS. Appy in OOC games beats 2 P5 but because they play in SB that kills their SOS. No G5 as things stand now will make the playoffs because the committee will pull out their SOS card and end the discussion debate. What do you think the knock on UCF was, hint SOS.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    SOS boys, your OOC schedule better enhance your overall SOS. Appy in OOC games beats 2 P5 but because they play in SB that kills their SOS. No G5 as things stand now will make the playoffs because the committee will pull out their SOS card and end the discussion debate. What do you think the knock on UCF was, hint SOS.

Playing in the SunBelt does hurt, but you gotta do more than beat a 4-8 and 6-6 P5. And UCF’s OOC SOS was a joke. They didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs either year.

You know how Boise State got into the top 5 in 2009? It sure as heck wasn't because the WAC was any good that season. They got that high because they beat a team that won the Pac-10. They didn't have any other Power 5 teams on the schedule that year.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

App would have been AT LEAST #15 if they ran the table this year and hadn't lost to us. The week we beat them, there were a lot of teams ahead of them that lost and they would have simply been ahead of the other G5 teams.

As it is, they clawed back into the Top 20.

SOS is certainly an argument but going undefeated in the Sun Belt isn't as easy a task as it sounds. How often has that happened for the champion of the conference ?
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

The SoS argument is dead and should be for any GS fan.

Look at the difference between our schedule and App's.

Who fared better this year?