TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

1. Default Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

This was at a school with no history, and is considered one of the worst jobs in the country.

Year 1 - 2012
    In 2012, UNM more than doubled its 2011 scoring output of 12.0 points per game, finishing at 25.8. The Lobos had the most improved rushing offense in the nation from 2011 to 2012, going from 113.3 yards per game (ranking 103rd in rushing in ‘11) to 301.3 yards per game (ranking fifth in ‘12). New Mexico also finished second in the nation in time of possession at 33 minutes, 47 second per game and 17th in turnover margin at plus-0.85 per game. The team had the fifth best improvement in turnover margin in the country after averaging minus-0.67 per game in 2011.

Year 2 - 2013
    In 2013, UNM scored 393 points, eight points short of the 1994 team’s school record of 401 points. The 2013 offense’s 40 rushing touchdowns were two shy of the 1971 team record of 42. The unit also produced 5,062 yards, becoming just the sixth Lobo offensive unit to surpass the 5,000-yard mark. Senior running back Kasey Carrier topped the 1,000-yard mark for the second consecutive season, finishing with 1,122 rushing yards in 10 games. Sophomore Cole Gautsche was the nation’s sixth-leading rushing quarterback with 777 yards, which beat out his freshman mark of 760 as the third most by a Lobo QB.

Year 3 - 2014
    In the 2014 season, UNM once again finished in the top five in rushing nationally, finishing fourth, averaging 310.4 yards per game. The Lobos were the only team in the nation to have finished in the top five from 2012-14 with an average of 300 yards or more, and that’s all under DeBesse. The Lobos were certainly explosive as well. Aside from Jhurell Pressley leading the nation with a 9.6 yards per carry average, UNM ranked in the top three nationally in most runs of 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards for the season, leading the nation in most 50 and 60 yard rushes (14 and 10 respectively). Pressley topped the 1,000-yard mark, the third straight year UNM has had a 1,000 yard rusher, and the Lobos tied Wisconsin for the most different 100-yard rushers in the season with five. All told, UNM had 11 100-yard rushing games in 2014, giving UNM 32 with DeBesse running the offense.

Year 4 - 2015
    In the 2015 season, the Lobos led the nation in total plays of 60 or more yards (11) and 70 or more yards (7). In addition, the team ranked second nationally in rushes of 30, 50, 60, and 70 or more yards, and was third in rushes of 40 or more yards. The Lobos added a deadly aerial attack as well and the team threw three touchdown passes of 80 or more yards in the final five games of the season, the most 80-yard completions in the history of UNM for a single season... The Lobo offense was prolific, scoring 48 rushing touchdowns, breaking the previous school record of 42, which was set in 1971 and tied in 2015. Those 48 touchdowns paved the way for a school record 477 points, and a school record 36.7-points per game scoring average. The Lobos also broke the school record for total offense, racking up an astonishing 5,939 yards. The team also set records for yards per play for the season (6.85) and for single-game total offense yards per play, as the team averaged 13.53 per play against Wyoming with 691 yards on just 51 plays. UNM also led the nation in rushing plays of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 yards or more, and UNM running back Teriyon Gipson led the nation in yards per attempt, averaging 8.75 yards per carry.

Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

Ok...so what's the issue here? Is it the OL performance as we all have speculated? Is Debesse being hamstrung by something else that is preventing the offense from being as effective?

Genuinely curious of your thoughts. I think we were all very excited when he was brought on, but the offense has been nothing to write home about.

3. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

The team is struggling through the transition this year... but they still won 10 games in year one and at least 6 this year.. But there is a lot of ability next year.

Logan Wright... JD King... Wes Kennedy... Khaleb Hood. They have also converted Iowa transfer Trey Creamer to a running back. Wright, Kennedy, Hood, and Creamer would be fantastic at the RB spots.

But the real improvement will be on the offensive line.. There are 6 offensive lineman that are pretty highly rated that are freshman this year, all DeBesse recruits... They have great size and are noted run blockers. Plus the recruits that come in this year on the offensive line. Many lineman return as well.

Shai Wertz will be in his 3rd year in the system, but ultimately he is a steady guy and not explosive. When New Mexico was good they had more explosive capability at the QB position.

To answer your question PowerEagle, I think the problems are:

A.) Wertz isn't explosive. He is steady. And he misses a lot of option reads. The QB run threat isn't what it needs to be in a great option offense. Jabari Laws at Army, Malcolm Perry at Navy, Donald Hammond at Air Force, TaQuon Marshall and Tobias Oliver at Georgia Tech, etc are all much better playmakers than Wertz. It's hard to imagine Wertz won't be the guy next year as a senior, but I don't think you will see AS explosive an offense as they had at New Mexico with Wertz.

B.) The offensive line is having significant problems. There is plenty of talent developing and should be a whole new unit next year. I would expect big performance increase here.

C.) The "Cruiser" position in the Debesse offense is the free roaming blocker who in theory opens a lot of the big plays. That position isn't playing well. Blocking needs significant improvement out of the Cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Ok...so what's the issue here? Is it the OL performance as we all have speculated? Is Debesse being hamstrung by something else that is preventing the offense from being as effective?

Genuinely curious of your thoughts. I think we were all very excited when he was brought on, but the offense has been nothing to write home about.
    Offensive line turnover. I believe we have 1 2018 starter playing right now. That's hampered DeBesse from opening up any passing attack like he did at UNM, and it's affected Shai's confidence in the pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post

We're hamstrung on the O-line for sure and we lack speed(minus WK3) in the backfield. QB play is not as good as it could be or either play calling isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gsuoption View Post
    The team is struggling through the transition this year... but they still won 10 games in year one and at least 6 this year.. But there is a lot of ability next year.

Logan Wright... JD King... Wes Kennedy... Khaleb Hood. They have also converted Iowa transfer Trey Creamer to a running back. Wright, Kennedy, Hood, and Creamer would be fantastic at the RB spots.

But the real improvement will be on the offensive line.. There are 6 offensive lineman that are pretty highly rated that are freshman this year, all DeBesse recruits... They have great size and are noted run blockers. Plus the recruits that come in this year on the offensive line. Many lineman return as well.

Shai Wertz will be in his 3rd year in the system, but ultimately he is a steady guy and not explosive. When New Mexico was good they had more explosive capability at the QB position.

A.) Wertz isn't explosive. He is steady. And he misses a lot of option reads. The QB run threat isn't what it needs to be in a great option offense. Jabari Laws at Army, Malcolm Perry at Navy, Donald Hammond at Air Force, TaQuon Marshall and Tobias Oliver at Georgia Tech, etc are all much better playmakers than Wertz. It's hard to imagine Wertz won't be the guy next year as a senior, but I don't think you will see AS explosive an offense as they had at New Mexico with Wertz.

B.) The offensive line is having significant problems. There is plenty of talent developing and should be a whole new unit next year. I would expect big performance increase here.

C.) The "Cruiser" position in the Debesse offense is the free roaming blocker who in theory opens a lot of the big plays. That position isn't playing well. Blocking needs significant improvement out of the Cruiser.
    Solid breakdown, thank you.

I agree with all your points, although I think Werts can be explosive. I dont know how many reads he misses, but you'd think by now he would be better but maybe it is what it is.

Trey Creamer not on the team
    believe he committed to Charlotte
    from some CC
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

I agree with most of this, but your post that Werts isn't explosive is nonsense. Compared to who? Favian Upshaw? Shai has made more than a few nice gains on plays where it looks like there's no room to run. It's one thing to criticize Shai in the passing game, but the idea he doesn't have the athleticism for the job is nonsense.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

I think we have to attribute the issues with the offense primarily to the injuries and resulting lack of experience on the offensive line. Games are won and lost in the trenches.

10. Default Re: Debesse Offense - Year 3 and 4 - New Mexico

I agree with the analysis of the problems. My issue and question is with the assessment of talent siting and waiting. QB is the MOST important position for ANY and ALL college teams so who is our QB?