TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 21 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Option Offense

Default Re: Option Offense

Pop quiz... which offense historically throws the ball more at GS? Flexbone (Erk/PJ/Monken) or Gun Option (Fritz/Lunsford)

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Pop quiz... which offense historically throws the ball more at GS? Flexbone (Erk/PJ/Monken) or Gun Option (Fritz/Lunsford)
    I’d imagine strictly from memory that apart from Monken it’s pretty close.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I’d imagine strictly from memory that apart from Monken it’s pretty close.
    Top 10 passers (single season)
    1. Henton 1852
    2. Clark 1808
    3. Chapple 1774
    4. Ham. 1772
    5. Ham 1694
    6. Gross 1534
    7. Shaw 1476
    8. Ham 1405
    9. Hill 1262
    10. Revere 1247

4. Default Re: Option Offense

Top 10 passers (single season)
    1. Henton 1852
    2. Clark 1808
    3. Chapple 1774
    4. Ham. 1772
    5. Ham 1694
    6. Gross 1534
    7. Shaw 1476
    8. Ham 1405
    9. Hill 1262
    10. Revere 1247
    Not surprising to me at all. And what is the w - l record under each quarterback?

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Note: You DID say ANY offense, which includes what UGA is doing - so maybe you can admit a mistake with the "ANY offense" insert?

When did I ever retract from that statement? If we wanted to run what UGA does we most certainly could and I never said otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

6. Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Works two ways. The further we get away, and the more bad results pour in running this type of offense, the more everyone should realize switching from the flexbone was a stupid decision. Again.
    You're 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Not surprising to me at all. And what is the w - l record under each quarterback?
    I just find it interesting we threw more out of flexbone than shotgun option... you'd think being in the gun would correlate to increased passing. Granted this was just total yards and not attempts but I think it speaks to my point.

What I also notice is we need to find a true dual QB... like Shaw.

I’ve never once said I want us to be like LSU (although who could really oppose that right now I don’t know) but all this talk abo how we won’t be able to get top notch OL, NFL WR’s and all that is funny to me. Last time I checked we wouldn’t be going up against NFL DL and DB’s. It’s all relative.

Coaching matters. Doesn’t matter what offense it is. A well coached offense will work and a bad one won’t. That’s why you see Air Raids that work and Air Raids that dont. Option offense that work and option offenses that don’t. “Balanced” offenses that work and balanced offense that don’t. We can recruit for any system RELEVANT to our peers. So get a good staff and we can have a good offense of any kind. That’s not even a debatable fact.

And yes anybody who says otherwise is saying Ga State is a better place to be than Ga Southern because they have been able to recruit pro style passers, dial threat QB’s, really good WR’s, etc. So we can’t?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

I just find it interesting we threw more out of flexbone than shotgun option... you'd think being in the gun would correlate to increased passing. Granted this was just total yards and not attempts but I think it speaks to my point.

Yes, and teams throw more in general now than they did "back then" in the '80s and '90s. "We can throw better from the gun" is a myth. Of course, I wouldn't necessarily want a flexbone offense that didn't have a (shotgun) package for throwing the ball in passing situations, which we had in 2011.

We should be recruiting QBs like Shaw, and we should also be recruiting QBs like Jayson Foster. Both fit the mold of "most dynamic QBs under 6'1" that we can find."
    Last edited by pete4256; 12th November 2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

10. Default Re: Option Offense

The other thing about the flexbone QB's listed is that they all were smart, knew how to run the offense and could make the pitch. Oh they also had the option to audible and change the play .