TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Option Offense

Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEDAVIDSON View Post
    Remember the days we.played in FCS? We had the opportunity to possibly play 15 games a year. And win a national championship. In those days we loved Georgia southern football. Since.we.have moved up to the sun belt ( the conference that is lower than whale **** in the bottom of the ocean) we just like georgia southern football, let that sink in. In watching app state and carolina last night they are head and shoulders above any sunbelt program, they could play in any power 5 confrence and be successful.
    This is the core of the issue with fan apathy. There is nothing to play for. A Sunbelt title game? Some low end bowl game? Attendance is going to keep falling. Folks around here already have picked their FBS team of choice. We had a chance to change that some when we took them to OT at their place, but our lousy, could not handle the moment HC in that game made a stupid play call. The leadership has done a really good job of alienating a bunch of old time supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    All of which were recruited by CJM to run our true offense, which we have abandoned, along with many other things that made us great and endeared a lot of people to the program.

People are getting off the bus partner...…….hope you enjoy your new offense if you get it. You might be able to sit anywhere you want to watch it.
    On the contrary, most fans despise watching option offenses. Do you think it's a coincidence how so many penalties are geared against the defense, specifically pass defenses? It's not. That was done because people like to see passes. Not watching a dive on 3rd and 9. So, more likely, if the offense was changed and Georgia southern actually started to win doing it, the stands would likely begin to fill up more. The option is dead. But you're probably right, we're probably smarter than the other 99% of football teams in the FBS

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEDAVIDSON View Post
    Remember the days we.played in FCS? We had the opportunity to possibly play 15 games a year. And win a national championship. In those days we loved Georgia southern football. Since.we.have moved up to the sun belt ( the conference that is lower than whale **** in the bottom of the ocean) we just like georgia southern football, let that sink in. In watching app state and carolina last night they are head and shoulders above any sunbelt program, they could play in any power 5 confrence and be successful.
    If we were beating P5 teams and battling for the access bowl, the excitement would be the same. It's the fact that we have regressed as a program since making the jump. Option isn't effective anymore, we're not about to get well known teams for a home and home often enough, we're doing so so in the sun belt but can't beat low tier P5s etc. If all that changed, you'd see plenty of excitement. Do you not remember the first year we made the jump? Everything was buzzing, because we all thought we would build off that and things would continue to grow. Just hasn't happened for various reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Geecheeriverambler View Post
    This is the core of the issue with fan apathy. There is nothing to play for. A Sunbelt title game? Some low end bowl game? Attendance is going to keep falling. Folks around here already have picked their FBS team of choice. We had a chance to change that some when we took them to OT at their place, but our lousy, could not handle the moment HC in that game made a stupid play call. The leadership has done a really good job of alienating a bunch of old time supporters.
    The band wagon will fill up once we get things back on the rails and no one posting FCS nostalgia drivel will be anywhere to be found. Enjoy coming here after every loss to mope and tell us we've lost our way because we're not playing VMI and Samford while you still can.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I will agree that is true.... To a point.

GT did very well for a few years, and then opponents learned how to prepare.

Army was awesome the last couple of years-and I have a feeling they are suffering the same fate.

Once the surprise factor wears off and opponents in a new environment get used to playing you, I think the option advantage goes away.
    how do explain 3+ decades of success at Georgia Southern, and Navy running it? Maybe the flex has a ceiling but it ain’t the Sunbelt. If we ran a triple option offense in the Sunbelt we’d crush it year in year out. Now if we joined a P5 conference maybe we abandon but that happening in my lifetime I’m 38!
    Go Eagles!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I'm pretty sure their defense would have made a play or two.
    But we’re not talking about defense. Check the title of this thread.

The only thing that matters to GS’s performance is the offense, right?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

7. Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    how do explain 3+ decades of success at Georgia Southern, and Navy running it? Maybe the flex has a ceiling but it ain’t the Sunbelt. If we ran a triple option offense in the Sunbelt we’d crush it year in year out. Now if we joined a P5 conference maybe we abandon but that happening in my lifetime I’m 38!
    It was awesome at the FCS level. (but we played against scrub defenses most of the time.)

I love to see it when it works. It's the most beautiful thing in any sport-when it works.

I'm not convinced it will work consistently in the FBS. I want to see us be successful long term, not just have a good season or two followed by 3 or 4 down years.

Army is showing that it ain't good this year. Even freaking Gag beat them. I really think GT was the ceiling for option/flex/whatever at the FBS level. Few really good years, and then a long sad decline. (At the FBS, there are defensive consultants who work just to prepare for our type of offense.... And teams can afford to hire them and prepare really well. It's all about preparation.... And now that FBS takes it seriously, they can and will prepare.)

I'm very conflicted on this issue. On the one hand, option has been good for some outstanding stretches (especially in our early years.) But on the other hand, I remain unconvinced that it has the continuity to keep us where we need to be at this level. Just look at our time in the Sun belt. We were absolutely killing it at first, but once these teams learn to prepare right, we are struggling.

I am particularly concerned about the way LSU/Minn and Troy are choosing to play us. They don't seem to really be scheming or using much strategy, they are just overloading and collapsing our line all the time. They are bringing the freaking house every play, and Werts is getting sacked too much. Only a matter of time before he is seriously hurt. How many sacks yesterday? Nine.... That's a real bad day.

I really don't think we should be married to the option anymore. It seems to have a lot of downside at the FBS level. Especially when teams see how successful defenses are when they set up camp in our backfield.

OL, OL, OL. No matter what offense we run, whatever level football is played, OL and a decent defense wins the day. I’ll take an excellent OL and good players at other positions every week. Didn’t we focus on OL the last cycle and hopefully the next? Now the play calling......

9. Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    3+ decades, that depends on how you define “success” for us, JMHO.

10. Default Re: Option Offense

Here is what little I know from watching GS football since it started. When we were the most successful running the spread or triple option offense it was because we had a dual threat guy running it, which gave our coaches the ability to immediately counter what other teams were doing on defense. In those days opposing defenses stacked the box against us at their own peril. We do not have that type guy on our roster today. We have also lost the speed advantage we once had. From my perspective it is about improving the talent level at a few spots. Also, we are playing defense about like we always have. Plenty of times we had simply had to out score teams and win 42-35 etc. Our coaches are currently limited in what they can do. However, it is their responsiblity to upgrade the talent level which I think they are in the process of doing. The key will always be at the QB position. Solve that and every other position will get much better.