TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Option Offense

Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Originally Posted by Touchdown
    I'll say this though. IF we ever do run the {INSERT ANY OFFENSE HERE} at this level, with the right coaching staff.... You'd see it's success like no other place. An FBS program, located in the perfect recruiting spot with no player restrictions (military life or Academic),... It'd really be something.

No. That doesn't fix it at all. Not even close.

Go ahead and test your theory. Plug in the offense that LSU runs, or UGA and the like. Plug in an offense that requires we have a true pocket passing QB, 5 OL at the top of their game and NFL caliber WRs.

See how far down the line we get on recruiting those skill sets. Sure, we could get App State level and other Sun Belt - but that doesn't exactly rocket us to the top and sustain us in the top 25.

But.. . we can get just about the best players for the other system I mentioned. You can't simply run any scheme and get the best players for that scheme here when the majority of the rest of the country is going after those same guys including the entire P5. We can be good, and get good players. We can win a lot probably with any system.

But have a scheme that wins like it has nowhere else in the FBS? No. There is only 1 system that fits that equation. The P5s won't run it and that leaves the G5 their choice of players who are especially blessed to run it. The only G5s really running it are the service Academies and GT WAS doing it. ALL of them have special recruiting restrictions limiting it from reaching its full potential.

Given my choice, I'd run the flex. I'm not really here to push it though over our gun option right now though.
    I'm am saying that there is no doubt we need to stay with an option based offense and not just "insert any offense" here.
    We just need to do what we do better and be healthy.
    We'd be stinking it up right now even worse with any other scheme with all the coaching turnover we've had and injuries.

Stay the course...... Live by it and die by it, the option is who we are.

I’m right and you are biased. It’s okay that you love the option and think it’s the only thing that could work here. You are wrong but you are going to think that way until the day you die and that’s okay. Hell I love the option too and hope we find a way to make it work but there are several other offense including what LSU does that would work here and we could recruit for (I really hope we never run what UGA is running...I don’t even want UGA running it). But nothing I can say to make you see otherwise.

Anybody who says that we can only recruit for the option is saying that Ga State and App are both better places to be than Ga Southern. That may be what you think but it’s not what I think.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 12th November 2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Richrappa View Post
    We have won 1 SunBelt..App State?, Troy?, ArkState?...
    Done with the traditions arguments..
    GROW OR DIE..ask LSU coach..
    Richrappa

Re: Option Offense

Nope. Can we move to a modern offense?

Spoken like a true VanGorder.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I’m right and you are biased. It’s okay that you love the option and think it’s the only thing that could work here. You are wrong but you are going to think that way until the day you die and that’s okay. There’s nothing I can say to make you see otherwise.
    our highest levels of success have come with the flex/TO and CF's 2014-15 season. All other attempts except for last season have failed miserably. Well, I take that back, the Ham Bone with #8 running it was pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Do you still wear that Members Only jacket your mom bought you?
    Don’t know about Joe, but I do. It matches my vintage Kangol.

Chicks love that combo.
    Last edited by pete4256; 12th November 2019 at 10:01 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Go ahead and test your theory. Plug in the offense that LSU runs . . .
    If we had LSU’s staff, I don’t think the roster would matter much at all. Coaching is more important than players in college football, and we would almost certainly score a lot of points. We have around league-average talent on offense, and a top-notch NCAA staff would get results from that.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

No. That doesn't fix it at all. Not even close.

Go ahead and test your theory. Plug in the offense that LSU runs, or UGA and the like. Plug in an offense that requires we have a true pocket passing QB, 5 OL at the top of their game and NFL caliber WRs.

See how far down the line we get on recruiting those skill sets. Sure, we could get App State level and other Sun Belt - but that doesn't exactly rocket us to the top and sustain us in the top 25.

But.. . we can get just about the best players for the other system I mentioned. You can't simply run any scheme and get the best players for that scheme here when the majority of the rest of the country is going after those same guys including the entire P5. We can be good, and get good players. We can win a lot probably with any system.

But have a scheme that wins like it has nowhere else in the FBS? No. There is only 1 system that fits that equation. The P5s won't run it and that leaves the G5 their choice of players who are especially blessed to run it. The only G5s really running it are the service Academies and GT WAS doing it. ALL of them have special recruiting restrictions limiting it from reaching its full potential.

Given my choice, I'd run the flex. I'm not really here to push it though over our gun option right now though.
    I am saying that there is no doubt we need to stay with an option based offense and not just "insert any offense" here.
    We just need to do what we do better and be healthy.
    We'd be stinking it up right now even worse with any other scheme with all the coaching turnover we've had and injuries.

Stay the course...... Live by it and die by it, the option is who we are.
    What App ran under Satterfield was a hair breadth away from being a triple option offense. Hell they actually ran option better than we did in 16/17.

They also remembered that you have to have an effective and efficient passing game. And their offense actually encouraged a passing game.

They are literally about to be back in the top 25, and if they win this week could potentially be the first SBC team to be ranked in the CFP rankings, after being the highest AP ranked SBC team. The inertia from all that doesn't just go away, you ride it and it helps you when you do stumble to be able to make it back up. I'm liking what they're doing and what they've built for a lot more than how we're looking right now. I get that we have personnel issues and I've been a big advocate for patience with the OL issues, however we're not scheming around our issues either it seems. And we don't really have an answer right now for when our ground game is shut down....we just don't.

I love being a heavy run based team....but we've got to get better at passing the ball too. And it needs to be more a part of our offense instead of just a novelty. That's the only way you're going to recruit more skilled QBs and actually hang onto the talent you get at WR. We do a good job of getting WRs here but then they leave after they get 1 pass a season.

I'd take the Fritz offense with 15 or so passes a game thrown in. Still run dependent, but enough passing to open up the run game a bit more.

I THINK I'm right and you are biased. It’s okay that you love the option and think it’s the only thing that could work here. You are wrong but you are going to think that way until the day you die and that’s okay. Hell I love the option too and hope we find a way to make it work but there are several other offense including what LSU does that would work here and we could recruit for (I really hope we never run what UGA is running...I don’t even want UGA running it). But nothing I can say to make you see otherwise.

Anybody who says that we can only recruit for the option is saying that Ga State and App are both better places to be than Ga Southern. That may be what you think but it’s not what I think.
    "Fixed it for you"

You are not right. I know you believe you are, you always do. (But who doesn't believe their own opinion is right?)
    You aren't even right about what I said. I didn't say that nothing else will work here or that we can't do what App State is doing as good as them.
    In fact I said that we could. We could win like them here (and get beat on Thursday nights by an option team ).

Note: You DID say ANY offense, which includes what UGA is doing - so maybe you can admit a mistake with the "ANY offense" insert?

I didn't say we couldn't do what LSU is doing. I'm saying that LSU is going to be able to do that A LOT better than us.

And don't even try to put words in my mouth with your nonsense about anyone disagreeing with you must think GAST and APP are better places to be than Southern.

I'm simply saying that we can be much better than APP STATE (and have been) when we do what we do correctly (instead of trying to do what they do), including a gun based option - not just the flex.

I am saying that if we run LSU's offense, we can win. But we will be a lot weaker version of what they do.

By contrast, we could be the BEST option team in the country, which would give us a fighting chance when we face the LSU's of the world (like Army/Oklahoma last year) AND dominate our conference at the same time. I don't want to be as good as App ---- I want to be BETTER. The option gives us that (the FLEX amplifies it!).
    Jumping back and forth between schemes and coaches is killing us. The last thing we need to do is now back peddle and say.. "Let's do that! See, See... LSU just beat BAMA... we should change!"

I’m right and you are biased. It’s okay that you love the option and think it’s the only thing that could work here. You are wrong but you are going to think that way until the day you die and that’s okay. Hell I love the option too and hope we find a way to make it work but there are several other offense including what LSU does that would work here and we could recruit for (I really hope we never run what UGA is running...I don’t even want UGA running it). But nothing I can say to make you see otherwise.
    This is the biggest disconnect every time this debate comes up.

Someone says “The flex would continue to work well consistently at GS” and everyone hears “The flex is infallible and is the only way to win here or anywhere”. I don’t think I’ve ever heard even the most ardent flexboner suggest that.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

10. Default Re: Option Offense

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    What App ran under Satterfield was a hair breadth away from being a triple option offense. Hell they actually ran option better than we did in 16/17.

They also remembered that you have to have an effective and efficient passing game. And their offense actually encouraged a passing game.

They are literally about to be back in the top 25, and if they win this week could potentially be the first SBC team to be ranked in the CFP rankings, after being the highest AP ranked SBC team. The inertia from all that doesn't just go away, you ride it and it helps you when you do stumble to be able to make it back up. I'm liking what they're doing and what they've built for a lot more than how we're looking right now. I get that we have personnel issues and I've been a big advocate for patience with the OL issues, however we're not scheming around our issues either it seems. And we don't really have an answer right now for when our ground game is shut down....we just don't.

I love being a heavy run based team....but we've got to get better at passing the ball too. And it needs to be more a part of our offense instead of just a novelty. That's the only way you're going to recruit more skilled QBs and actually hang onto the talent you get at WR. We do a good job of getting WRs here but then they leave after they get 1 pass a season.
    Said about as well as it can be said, especially the last paragraph. Until we make throwing the ball an integral part of the offense what you see is what we're gonna be.