TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: So far this season.....

Default So far this season.....

What a really odd season for Georgia Southern. We have looked like one of the best teams in the conference on paper all year, but at times we have looked like one of the worst in the conference on the field. Then we go to Appy and beat them, and now we are in the hunt for the Eastern Division title in the Sun Belt.
    Ok, take the loss to LSU out of it, and the Eagles could have, and probably should have, beaten an 8-0 Minnesota. Then we lost to La-La in one of the uglier games the Eagles have played in a while, then we get two wins in overtime against teams that are not that good, then blow out New Mexico State, who is horrid, then beat a ranked team, what is going on?

My takeaways from the season so far.

1. If we had called the same type of offense we called against Appy, motion, actual triple option plays, I think we only lose to LSU so far. All season we have been begging to see the motion and the different sets and still it was just read option, or called dive over and over and over, and some games it was enough and others is was woefully bad. If they saved all that up for Appy then that was a mistake. If it is your offense then run it, make tweaks each week depending on who you are playing, but run your offense, not a sanitized version of it. I know Shai being out a few games hurt that, and no Wesley Kennedy really hurt too, but still you have to run your offense and see what happens.

2. Any team that tries to run on us is making a mistake. Our run defense is stout, and our pass defense is not. Do not be fooled by the last few games played in two monsoons and a mountain squall, the pass defense is just not there. Individuals in the secondary are making plays, but some of our youth in the backend is really showing at times. I think they are getting better, but they really need to.

3. The offensive line is making strides, they are starting to hold on to their blocks better. They are not where you want them, but since the beginning of the season they are much better than they were, they still need to improve, but that is one place we have really seen some improvement.

4. We still have a pretty average pass rush and it is hurting us because the longer the QB can hold the ball, the more time there is to pick that zone apart. I liked showing Appy more looks, I saw man-under 2 deep, man-under one deep, along with cover 2 and cover 3 last week and even a few blitzes, that is how good defenses play, they do some things well, but they adjust and learn how to do other things to give that weeks opponent trouble. No two weeks should a good defense look exactly the same. It should always be changing a bit.

5. Coaching not to lose is going to cost us a game if it doesn't stop. That prevent garbage before the half last week was just that, weak. Play the defense you have been having success with, not the three rushers eight in coverage garbage that allows the QB to be comfortable and make throws into the holes of the zone.
    Also on offense, when you get a big lead, you should expand the playbook, not contract it. Last week in the fourth quarter we called six straight called dive plays and while we hung on to the lead, it almost cost us the game, it probably should have cost us the game. We had Appy in the rocking chair last week, every time they thought they knew what was coming we adjusted and caught them off guard and hit a big play on them. The dive is a huge part of that, but it can't be the always when up by 10 points called play. We had multiple chances last week, to come out on first and 10 and run a play-action pass and put the dagger in their heart. Even a 5-yard pass would have turned into a long gain when the corners were crashing the edges as hard as they had to do to stop the pitch. One of those plays that goes for a score or even a 20-yard gain and Appy has no idea what to worry about next.

Lastly, this team has the ability to win out and win the east, they also have the ability to lose out and not go to a bowl. If everyone gets ready for each game that is left like they did for Appy, I will take my chances with this team. Last week, at times, we looked like the old Georgia Southern running the ball at will and making plays. That "look" has been sorely missing this year at times and we need to see it the rest of the season, not just one rainy night in North Carolina.

Great job last week Eagles, you surprised me, now lets go to Troy and win another one. We all know how you should look now, lets see it again.

Default Re: So far this season.....

The one offensive stat people overlook with this team is red zone scoring.

Last year we score 5.6 points per red zone visit, this year to date is 4.1. That's pretty low for an option team. If we scored in the RZ at the same rate as last season, we'd have the same scoring offense as last season with IMO a tougher schedule to date for the offense. right there you're around the border of being mediocre and good-but-not-great, and IMO our OL will be a good bit better next season with getting Brian Miller back and some of the guys we signed in the 2019 class maturing.

These next 3 games are going to almost seem like a different season. The quality in defenses will drop a good bit but they will also throw it better than anyone else we've played sans LSU, and they're going to move fast on offense too. Don't know what to expect. I'm honestly more confident we'll beat State at home than win either of these next two road games.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 8th November 2019 at 02:13 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

3. Default Re: So far this season.....

Whoa, there guys!!!!!

Be careful ever criticizing the crap playcalling at times, the prevent defense or the really weak pass coverage in various spots.

You might start to sound like me.

”Coaching not to lose” is the perfect way to summarize that 4th qtr. That was such a mess. Luck was on our side.

We have a whole thread about the offense in the fourth quarter. We freaking threw a pass on third down in that drive and it almost cost us the game. You don’t expand the playbook going against 20-25 mph winds in the pouring rain when everybody’s hands are frozen. App inhale vigorouslyed in the first and third quarter the same was we did in the fourth. If App couldn’t complete passes going against the wind, why would we be able to?

5. Default Re: So far this season.....

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    We have a whole thread about the offense in the fourth quarter. We freaking threw a pass on third down in that drive and it almost cost us the game. You don’t expand the playbook going against 20-25 mph winds in the pouring rain when everybody’s hands are frozen. App inhale vigorouslyed in the first and third quarter the same was we did in the fourth. If App couldn’t complete passes going against the wind, why would we be able to?
    Wasn’t just App.

Several times we have shifted from what was working to what damned well won’t.

I hate seeing that, but we have seen it time and time again.

Maybe having Kennedy back will help give DeBeese the comfort to continue being aggressive. Seems like the sun, stars, moon, and bluebird house all must align perfectly for us to do anything even halfway imaginative. Look how long it too to simply see motion.

If you weren't scratching your head in confusion after the first 5 games of the season your head ain't on straight. My only concern now is that it takes tooo long for this offense to mature or deploy a dynamic playbook. Four - FIVE games in! Somtn ain't right? What the heck took so long? App looked FCS in comparison and then we start that protect mess again. Please stop! It may work on paper but it ain't working for GS. Can we play simi protect or something.

If the wind and rain has been such an ally why play protect the long ball and give up certain points? The safeties are young but gees this protect stuff ain't working.
    Last edited by EaglesFlyFBS; 8th November 2019 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Wasn’t just App.

Maybe having Kennedy back will help give DeBeese the comfort to continue being aggressive. Seems like the sun, stars, moon, and bluebird house all must align perfectly for us to do anything even halfway imaginative. Look how long it too to simply see motion.
    We threw a ball to end zone on 4th and long in overtime against Coastal. The idea that the coaches are afraid to take risks just isn’t true. We run up the middle probably less than we did when Reuse was running the offense. There is a direct correlation between how much people complain about playcalling and how well the offensive line plays. Nobody complained about King going up the middle against NMSU and in the first half against App.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Wasn’t just App.

This...