TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    There are no rules that say what the endorsement has to be or what can be paid for it. Using the car dealership example, All they would have to do is put a picture up in their dealership or take a picture with the kid and one of their cars, and here's a bag full of money to go to our school. All this is going to do is allow the boosters that were already paying the big time recruits to do so legally and out in the open. What's to keep Nike from paying a kid that is an absolute no brainer superstar like Zion a million dollars to come to Oregon? If they are going to pay him $90M or whatever he just got after he graduates, who cares whether they cut one or two million off the top and give it to him a year early?

The major issue with that is that the coach/school has a contract already. So Zion can't wear addidas if Duke is a nike school.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    The major issue with that is that the coach/school has a contract already. So Zion can't wear addidas if Duke is a nike school.
    Well Nike probably isnt going to pay Zion to go to an adidas school.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    It was just an example, and it doesn't have to be about shoes. But in my example, Oregon IS a NIKE school, so no conflict with the school's contract.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

I can see this becoming a problem for building "team". Star QB and RB wearing Rolex and flashing chump change while the 3rd string DB is still shopping at Goodwill.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I can see this becoming a problem for building "team". Star QB and RB wearing Rolex and flashing chump change while the 3rd string DB is still shopping at Goodwill.
    This is the most insidious problem. The soul of the very institution of college sports will be damaged.

The appeal of college sports for me is based on the peculiar constraints unique to them: amateurism, academic burden, limited term of eligibility, etc. Without all of those, it becomes something different and substantially inferior to what it is.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

6. Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Heck, most P5 conferences are semi - pro anyway. Just go ahead and split from the NCAA and be done with it. P5 schools can't stand giving G5 schools a few crumbs. P5 conferences are all about the money, not amateur athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Heck, most P5 conferences are semi - pro anyway. Just go ahead and split from the NCAA and be done with it. P5 schools can't stand giving G5 schools a few crumbs. P5 conferences are all about the money, not amateur athletics.
    Hate to break it to you, but so are all G5's. Just on a smaller budget and scale.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

8. Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but so are all G5's. Just on a smaller budget and scale.
    No comparison. Most P5's recruiting budgets are bigger than total athletic budgets for G5 schools. I don't see any G5 conferences with their own TV channels. Go check merchandise and royalty income for P5 schools versus G5 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    This is the most insidious problem. The soul of the very institution of college sports will be damaged.

The appeal of college sports for me is based on the peculiar constraints unique to them: amateurism, academic burden, limited term of eligibility, etc. Without all of those, it becomes something different and substantially inferior to what it is.
    It was already damaged with the transfer rule in my opinion. There was once a very wise coach that preached the concept of TEAM>me. The transfer rule changed that concept to ME>team.

No comparison. Most P5's recruiting budgets are bigger than total athletic budgets for G5 schools. I don't see any G5 conferences with their own TV channels. Go check merchandise and royalty income for P5 schools versus G5 schools.
    There's no way that any Power 5 spends low 8 figures a year on recruiting, even across all sports. Not even close. That's beside the point I guess, but I thought I'd just point that out.

The fact that college sports makes money, though, doesn't mean it's not amateur athletics. Even most Power 5 football players don't go to the NFL and in basketball an even smaller percentage of college players will ever make a roster. So the NCAA needs to make rules to protect the interests of these athletes and not make rules in the interest of athletes who should be in developmental/semi-pro leagues instead of college.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.