TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Season

Default Re: Strange Season

Is there any truth to the rumor we will be having a dance off competition similar to the "hair guitar" and "ribbon gymnastics" as a middle finger to the SBC officials? Maybe we can match Garns up against "Gene Gene the Dancing Machine".

http://www.thegeorgeanne.com/youtube...ca77d1d2b.html

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...679D&FORM=VIRE

2. Default Re: Strange Season

Quote Originally Posted by soccereagle View Post
    There were good signs against CCU but my concern lies in the offensive plays we see that have ABSOLUTELY no creativity and deception which you need in our style. The guys definitely overcame the play calling at times with their athleticism and the o line got some push so I remain encouraged they are improving. Will CBD get in his own way is my concern. Can anyone explain to me the lack of motion and why we stop behind the QB, or not have all 2-3 plays ready to play a little uptempo? Or am I crazy?
    Reading my mind.

Motion and up tempo are not rocket science.

Why on earth do we burn clock every single play (except on one final drive where we can’t?)

3. Default Re: Strange Season

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    Is there any truth to the rumor we will be having a dance off competition similar to the "hair guitar" and "ribbon gymnastics" as a middle finger to the SBC officials? Maybe we can match Garns up against "Gene Gene the Dancing Machine".

http://www.thegeorgeanne.com/youtube...ca77d1d2b.html

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...679D&FORM=VIRE
    IDK if the refs care about those competitions.

My guess would be no.

But I sure am in favor of giving them the middle finger any way possible.

Officiating is getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by soccereagle View Post
    There were good signs against CCU but my concern lies in the offensive plays we see that have ABSOLUTELY no creativity and deception which you need in our style. The guys definitely overcame the play calling at times with their athleticism and the o line got some push so I remain encouraged they are improving. Will CBD get in his own way is my concern. Can anyone explain to me the lack of motion and why we stop behind the QB, or not have all 2-3 plays ready to play a little uptempo? Or am I crazy?
    There's much better people than me on this board to explain this, but here's how I understand it.

You have to get the dive working in order to force the safeties to cheat up into the box. This gives them much less time and space to read a potential pitch play, which ends up leaving their assignment free. However, the dive isn't working right now even without safety help. Our RB's are running straight into a wall nearly every dive play, so the safeties can just sit back and follow their assignment freely. That's why on so many of our pitch plays, there's already a guy waiting on Shai and whoever the pitch man is. My only guess to the lack of motion, is that it allows Shai to read who his assignment is prior to the snap, and motion might move that safety out of place causing some confusion. But that's just my guess.

TL;DR: The dive sets up any option/pitch plays. The dive isn't working.

Thanks KDarnell! I get the importance of the dive in TO but man if that isn’t working well why not change a couple things up? Seems like uptempo would at least run them down a little. We did stretch the field more which again runs them down. IDK but some signs of encouragement from CCU game. Can’t wait to get down there this weekend.

I think this board uses the term dive pretty liberally. I’d love to see this offense run a zone dive without putting the ball on the ground.
    Go Eagles!!

It's hard to argue with a guy like Debesse who's watched endless hours of tape and knows what needs to happen for his offense to be successful. Reps help but man it's hard to watch this offense over and over do the same thing and not be successful. Last year bought a another year no matter but it's obvious at this point that improvement is capping quick and expectations for major turnaround are low. Why not throw your QB a bone and let him do what he does best. "Plan" to run the ball more and throw the ball more and hope he can turn it around. Significant change may or may not work but what's to lose? A commitment to the Xs and Os no matter always seems to get our coaches in trouble. We have the talent. Letem roll!

8. Default Re: Strange Season

Not sure there is a choice! Buy out is $800k. Getting expensive up here in Big Boy football time to stop making excuses Bowl Game or Bust!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I'm in on Lunsford being the guy for the long haul. Going from 2-10 to 10-3 was an extraordinary jump, so I expected to have some regression this season due to both the schedule and basic statistics. I think the thing to remember is that he has been a part of winning programs throughout his career, he knows what it takes to be successful, and I think he is going to do what he can to get this program to what is an acceptable level by GS standards. I think if he sticks around for 2-3 years we will all look back at this year and realize that the foundation was laid for something great down the road. I'm sure he sees the personnel issues and will address them with recruiting, and sees the coaching issues and will hopefully look at himself and his staff and do what they can to not make the same mistakes again.

At the end of the day, I dont foresee this team being much more than what they are now - a pretty solid defense that will have an occasional lapse, a conservative offense that lacks big play potential, and a solid kicker. We will scratch and claw for 6 wins, and if we get them those extra practices will be critical to get a jump start on next season.
    It's hard when we are a program so used to winning to have to go through rough times. But continual turnover isn't the answer. I think last season should buy Coach Lunsford a little time. He showed that he is capable, unlike Summers before him who was absolutely and undoubtedly in over his head and will likely be seen as the worst coaching hire in program history. It may take a couple of years to get it rocking, but I can remember way back when Satterfield took over at App and was having a rocky time. Their fans were screaming, but they stuck with him and look where they are now. I think it's worth giving Coach a little time, rather than saying "Oh, we barely beat USA and CCU -- Fire everyone!!"
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTeacher View Post
    It's hard when we are a program so used to winning to have to go through rough times. But continual turnover isn't the answer. I think last season should buy Coach Lunsford a little time. He showed that he is capable, unlike Summers before him who was absolutely and undoubtedly in over his head and will likely be seen as the worst coaching hire in program history. It may take a couple of years to get it rocking, but I can remember way back when Satterfield took over at App and was having a rocky time. Their fans were screaming, but they stuck with him and look where they are now. I think it's worth giving Coach a little time, rather than saying "Oh, we barely beat USA and CCU -- Fire everyone!!"
    Agreed. Satt went 11-13 his first two seasons at App, and they've gone 47-11 since. I'm not saying CL will have THAT level of success, but continuity goes a very long way, and not counting his interim period he's gone 13-6.

Now I do think that there needs to be a change at OC, and I hope CL goes for who he think gives us the best chance to win, not someone who makes the most people happy.