TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Thread: This season is a case study in why offensive explosivieness matters

Default This season is a case study in why offensive explosivieness matters

One thing I'm not sure people have caught in the last two games...we went for (and converted) 4th and shorts. That's something we wouldn't have done last season, and not because CCL has gotten bolder. On stats like Power Rate and stuff rate, we're clearly better than last year and a more sure thing to pick up a couple of yards running. We are also having fewer 3-and-outs that aren't caused by self-inflicted errors and we've run 157 plays in the last two games (I don't know what the number is only with regulation, but it's still really high for our snail pace on offense). I honestly wouldn't be shocked if our median yards a play (which is mostly insensitive to explosiveness and more indicative of consistency) to date is actually higher than last season.

Of course last year was the exact opposite (a lot better in explosiveness than consistency), and clearly that seems to be more important. I think the pass to Mark Michaud the second OT was the second-longest TD of the season other than Justin Tomlin's long run against Maine.

So as a result of having no explosiveness and better consistency, you end up with long, time-consuming slogs down the field. In spite of what the TOP mavens say, these long drives don't wear down the defense but just increase the chances of having a drive killed by a penalty, turnover, or negative play.

So how do you get more explosiveness?

IMO with 2 things:

1. Better blocking on the perimeter. I've seen more than a few plays this season that would've gone for a lot more yards if someone hadn't whiffed on a block. That can be an issue with position coaching, inexperience, a talent problem, or some combination. It may or may not get fixed this season.

2. Better passing. I think this will get better as this season goes on as we are discovering what passing concepts will work for our team and throwing out the stuff that isn't working.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

2. Default Re: This season is a case study in why offensive explosivieness matters

Very few explosive runs of 25 plus yards this year. We just aren’t very exciting to watch. I expected so much better this year. Oh well I m just hoping we get to 6 wins and a bowl this year but that is far from a given

Default Re: This season is a case study in why offensive explosivieness matters

I know I've been harping on OL consistency, but I've also been pretty disappointed in our WR blocking.

WR blocking is the difference between big gains and TDs.