TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm just taking a guess here:

I think our small OL splits and using King as as primary back is means to increase consistency on the IZ. We aren't getting the explosive plays between the tackles last season but without question we're doing better of getting at least 3 yards when running it up the middle. Our power rate is significantly better than last year and is better than 2014 and 2015 IIRC. WE seeem to have fewer three-and-outs (at least those not self-inflicted) as well.

And I think pretty much everyone will agree whether your standard running play is the dive or IZ you have to be able to run the play when the defense is giving it to you or the option won't work.
    How does that translate into featuring wkiii more?
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Better O Line play = no more stagnant or "disjointed" offense. Our issues are not about scheme or play calling. It's about 11 man execution.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    Better O Line play = no more stagnant or "disjointed" offense. Our issues are not about scheme or play calling. It's about 11 man execution.
    Plus Won.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

I think our small OL splits and using King as as primary back is means to increase consistency on the IZ. We aren't getting the explosive plays between the tackles last season but without question we're doing better of getting at least 3 yards when running it up the middle. Our power rate is significantly better than last year and is better than 2014 and 2015 IIRC. WE seeem to have fewer three-and-outs (at least those not self-inflicted) as well.

And I think pretty much everyone will agree whether your standard running play is the dive or IZ you have to be able to run the play when the defense is giving it to you or the option won't work.
    Wider splits in flex were to make it easier to open natural running lanes inside for the dive. Spread the defense out by use of a "spread" formation and just hit them in the soft spots. By tightening the splits, you're reducing the amount of space for inside running, especially because even on dives the OL has to climb to the second level. We have 2 combo blocks on 80% of our plays, and those guys are either not getting the technique right or don't have the space to climb free like they should.

The tight splits DO open up things for the outside, by pinching everyone inside. However a lot of free defenders flood outside because once again, we're having trouble getting to the 2nd level defenders.

Part of what has turned 1-2 yard gains into 3-4 yard gains is the backs hitting the line faster. When Fields hit the line last year he did well, but there were a lot of plays where he was hesitant getting to/through the line and he got stuffed a lot. Garrett had a higher success rate mainly because he hit the line a lot faster, and so did Wright. That can make a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    It can't, I mean it can't be THAT simple?(oh, yes Garns, it's that simple). Smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    Thanks to our tight splits we are allowing that DE to play both. Gotta find a way to make him commit or to pay for “mushing” the read.
    This is another problem from the tight splits. The DE doesn't have to move much at all. In the flex and in 14/15 our splits were a bit wider so the DE had to show more commitment to what he was doing on the mesh, especially if he wanted to try and play the dive. With what we're doing right now, the DE can shuffle his feet a little, look like he's staying out, and force the give inside while still being in on the tackle on the dive.

We've got to make that DE commit and not dictate the read.

I was chatting with Garrett about this a while back and asked him why they splits have gotten so tight. He said they've always been that tight, then I went back and showed him some game film of when he played. Most of the time they were 1+ yard splits...big difference to today, and most likely a contributing factor to our lack of success on the IZR/dive.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

For crying out loud O-line, move a guy back, or to the side or better yet on his buttocks. Then you will see a better offense. This isnt quantum physics, it's football in the trenches. Kennedy, no Kennedy, AP, no AP, Breida no Breida.

Did Debesse have tight splits at UNM?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    This is another problem from the tight splits. The DE doesn't have to move much at all. In the flex and in 14/15 our splits were a bit wider so the DE had to show more commitment to what he was doing on the mesh, especially if he wanted to try and play the dive. With what we're doing right now, the DE can shuffle his feet a little, look like he's staying out, and force the give inside while still being in on the tackle on the dive.

We've got to make that DE commit and not dictate the read.
    im assuming the tighter splits help with the angle to the perimeter it’s a little tougher from the gun.
    Go Eagles!!