TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Let's just win 8 games and make this a moot point. But no if you've traveled to our bowl games you'd know we'd get in over another 6 win team, say Gag State. Simply because we have real fans and not inflated numbers. I mean the bowl game last year sold out of beer because of the number of our fans. Hopefully the bowl committee also saw the Aviator sold out of beer the night before the game. Just look at the hotel rooms sold in the 2 bowl games. Look at how we travel to away games compared to the rest of the conference.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

2. Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

If the dive play starts working, the team can go to a bowl. If they can't figure out why the dive play is so ineffective this year, there will be serious problems. Entire system is predicated on that dive play.

Quote Originally Posted by gsuoption View Post
    If the dive play starts working, the team can go to a bowl. If they can't figure out why the dive play is so ineffective this year, there will be serious problems. Entire system is predicated on that dive play.
    We're 5 games in, I don't think it's going to get any better this season.

4. Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    We're 5 games in, I don't think it's going to get any better this season.
    Then they have to start throwing screens and attacking the perimeter to open up the dive, instead of going to the dive 50 times a game when it isn't working.

Quote Originally Posted by gsuoption View Post
    Then they have to start throwing screens and attacking the perimeter to open up the dive, instead of going to the dive 50 times a game when it isn't working.
    I would love to see some stats on the dive this season vs last. My impression is that it’s been more effective in 2019. It may be that we’ve had fewer stuffs on that play in 2019, though.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

6. Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I would love to see some stats on the dive this season vs last. My impression is that it’s been more effective in 2019. It may be that we’ve had fewer stuffs on that play in 2019, though.
    Really?

I must really be misunderstanding what a dive play is.

It does work a little from time to time, but overall I think it’s pretty bad. I can’t imagine it being worse last year.

According to GATAdb (this is just the run game in general, not dives alone), 2019 is the lowest success rate we've had on the ground since 1998 at 37.7%. 2018 is 7th lowest at 40.7%.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    According to GATAdb (this is just the run game in general, not dives alone), 2019 is the lowest success rate we've had on the ground since 1998 at 37.7%. 2018 is 7th lowest at 40.7%.
    “Success rate” is not as useful for “dive” plays because getting 4.9 yards on first and ten is technically “unsuccessful” according to the stat. In the real world, that’s a good result for a run-first team. Even two or three yard gains are “ok” in that scenario.

Our “stuff rate” against non-top-ten-FBS defenses is just 12.4%, which is significantly better than last year’s 15.9%.

Of course, this is for all runs, not just “dives.” I don’t have time to scan and compare RB stuff rates. I do know that Fields’ stuff rate last season was abnormally high, which speaks to how much trouble we had running inside, especially when defenses expected it.

What we haven’t done (barring the Maine game) is break many long runs—of any sort.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

9. Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

“Success rate” is not as useful for “dive” plays because getting 4.9 yards on first and ten is technically “unsuccessful” according to the stat. In the real world, that’s a good result for a run-first team. Even two or three yard gains are “ok” in that scenario.

Our “stuff rate” against non-top-ten-FBS defenses is just 12.4%, which is significantly better than last year’s 15.9%.

Of course, this is for all runs, not just “dives.” I don’t have time to scan and compare RB stuff rates. I do know that Fields’ stuff rate last season was abnormally high, which speaks to how much trouble we had running inside, especially when defenses expected it.

What we haven’t done (barring the Maine game) is break many long runs—of any sort.
    Correct... at least just by watching the game, the dive is getting stuffed a lot or gaining small chunks here and there. Basically no big plays are happening with the dive this year, and that is unusual for a DeBesse offense. Once you start hitting that dive, everything else falls in line. Attacking the perimeter starts to hit big plays, you can get big plays in the passing game, but the dive just isn't working well this year.. This offense usually produces a couple of plays per game where they break off a huge run on the dive, because its been effective and then they have to start worrying about option pitches and throws... At New Mexico you regularly saw long TD runs (in fact, they led the nation in them) right up the gut after the offense got into a groove.

Hopefully they can use the bye week to start patching up the problems and get some things going to open it up... but based on my limited knowledge of this offense, having seen it here and at New Mexico, that dive play absolutely has to work.

Our success rate is also going to be distorted from bad snaps, penalties, and negative plays caused by pitch screw-ups or whatever.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.