TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: USA Positives

1. Default Re: USA Positives

At least we have a good kicker.

Default Re: USA Positives

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Itís hard to win road games on a weeknight. Iíll take the W.

What a weird game.
    Agree. A conference road win is good no matter what.

That 20 is more than 17.

We had no turnovers correct?

Blocked a FG.

Forced a fumble in 2nd OT.

Used up just enough time to tie the game in the 4th, without giving them time for a comeback
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Used up just enough time to tie the game in the 4th, without giving them time for a comeback.

Actually we have their coach and his TERRIBLE time management to thank for that. They should have had at least 1:30 to put together a drive but their coach completely botched that situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Actually we have their coach and his TERRIBLE time management to thank for that. They should have had at least 1:30 to put together a drive but their coach completely botched that situation.
    How many timeouts did they have?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    How many timeouts did they have?
    They had all 3 left when we were 1st and goal with just under 2 minutes left. Coach saved 2 of them for next week and let us run the clock out and score.

At absolute minimum you take a timeout after our 1st and 2nd down plays and have about a minute and 1 timeout left. I would have called timeout after Werts run to set up 1st down then after our 1st and 2nd down plays. That would have left about 1:30 and no timeouts.

We had 2 timeouts. So even if USA uses all their timeouts and gets a stop there they would still be able to kneel it out. Zero reason to do what their coach did and not to give your team a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    They had all 3 left when we were 1st and goal with just under 2 minutes left. Coach saved 2 of them for next week and let us run the clock out and score.

At absolute minimum you take a timeout after our 1st and 2nd down plays and have about a minute and 1 timeout left. I would have called timeout after Werts run to set up 1st down then after our 1st and 2nd down plays. That would have left about 1:30 and no timeouts.

We had 2 timeouts. So even if USA uses all their timeouts and gets a stop there they would still be able to kneel it out. Zero reason to do what their coach did and not to give your team a chance.
    Interesting, especially since they have burned us deep 3 times already. Looks like he was playing for OT as well. The old we are at home theory.

USA positives: One thing I saw more of in this game was "linemen push." I've often watched a game on TV where a back is held up at the line of scrimmage and offensive linemen get his back and push him forward--like a rugby scrum. This was the first game I actually saw us doing that with some success. With our offensive production every yard helps.

OL played well with leverage and push, lot of second level blocking. Our 3rd string center played extremely well.

DL looked good against the run but we still get minimal pressure on the QB. DEs are slow with no quickness.

WR are not good at all. Can't caught, can't block, lack route running ability and no speed.

Safety's other than #27 are always confused. DB play has been good all things considered.

LBs have been lights out. Best unit on defense. Fast, physical and aggressive.
    #36 is as good as advertised and #45 has shown up big.

WKJ is our best offensive weapon it saddens me that no one on the team is even close. #4 looks promising and #26 is fast as lightening. Other than that nothing to write home about from the slots.

RB we should only play two. #2 is good and #15 is starting hit his stride.

Malik Murray made some nice catches against USA. Heís a smooth, natural-looking receiver, IMO.

I donít think heís got the athleticism of Hood or Thompson, but both of those guys have jeopardized the ball recently.

Iím a bit surprised at how little weíve rotated WRs compared to the last couple of seasons. Michaud, Ransom, and Anderson are getting most of the reps there, with Carter getting some, too.

It seems like about six WRs got a lot of reps last season.

As far as RBs, we still need to play four (and hereís hoping Wright is back soon).

LaRoche is an excellent edge blocker, and if he learns to find holes, heíll make plays with the ball.

Kennedy is Kennedy.

Both Wright and King are both stout. They are tough for SBC defenses to being down cleanly. Both need to improve their blocking, especially the newcomer.
    Last edited by pete4256; 5th October 2019 at 02:34 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops