TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     

View Poll Results: Predict our 2019 conference record.

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8-0

    5 7.58%
  • 7-1

    10 15.15%
  • 6-2

    25 37.88%
  • 5-3

    11 16.67%
  • 4-4

    13 19.70%
  • 3-5

    1 1.52%
  • 2-6

    1 1.52%
  • 1-7

    0 0%
  • 0-8

    0 0%
Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 121

Thread: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

  1. #1

    Default Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Here is my breakdown of our conference opponents based on what I've seen so far:

    UL-L. Look pretty good, and I figured they would be. The good news is that the game is at home and they are a running team and aren't that strong on defense.

    @South Alabama - Was impressed by what they did versus Nebraska, in the second and third games, not as much so. They are also running it more than they have been (that's good). Feel a lot better about playing these guys on a short week.

    Coastal Carolina - This team is looking pretty good so far, glad they are at home. I will wait to see if they can blow out a bad UMass on the road before passing judgement.

    @App State - Looks like they've kept a good bit of their running game in place (and are still getting explosive plays) and added a dink-and-dunk passing game. They have definitely regressed on defense. They are not what they were last year, though it's Boone on a short week.

    @Troy - Maybe the most worrisome offense for us of the entire conference. Kaleb Barker threw it all over a USM D that's supposed to be good. At least they look to have fallen off on defense some.

    ULM - FSU game aside, I don't think these guys are that great. Their offensive scheme will still be a problem, but thank goodness Marcus Green and RJ Turner are gone.

    @Ark State - I think Blake Anderson has himself a more competent offensive staff this time around. They will not stop us, though, unless we stop them.

    Georgia State - Their whole offense is Ellington, their defense is still bad. A team we should still beat.

    I'm thinking 2 or 3 losses in conference.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Statesboro, GA
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    It's impossible to predict anything because of the inconsistent play on offense. It doesn't seem like coach speak to be taking one week/play at a time.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    BillyBob broke it down very well....It wouldn't surprise me if we sweep everyone but realistically I do not see us winning both road games at App and Troy...I am going with 1 conference loss and that one is on the road.
    Fix the mistakes and we are a very good football team especially defensively!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    I'll admit I'm a cup half empty guy by default. The individual athletes look solid but coaching took a step back. We look unprepared and that took some effort given last years performance. This is CCL's first full season go with this staff and what I see is disappointing. If we chase the wrong answers solving problems this is going to be a loong season. I think we may be capable of doing that unfortunately. CCL is a young HC and may find the learning curve a bit obtuse. We win 2 maybe 3.

  5. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by EaglesFlyFBS View Post
    I'll admit I'm a cup half empty guy by default. The individual athletes look solid but coaching took a step back. We look unprepared and that took some effort given last years performance. This is CCL's first full season go with this staff and what I see is disappointing. If we chase the wrong answers solving problems this is going to be a loong season. I think we may be capable of doing that unfortunately. CCL is a young HC and may find the learning curve a bit obtuse. We win 2 maybe 3.
    A lot depends on Werts.

    He is athletic enough to make stuff happen in spite of stupid playcalling.

    CL really needs to examine the staff. This rough season so far is almost entirely on them. 12 players on the field is something comment staffs rarely do..... Much less twice in a game.

    IDK if anything can be done about playcalling on offense, but it’s bad and actually getting worse. We blow soooo many series by running the exact same play the first time, almost every time.

    Debeese’s playcalling was probably as bad last season, but every once in a while Werts, Kennedy, or Fields could make something happen with a totally blown play. Tomlin is awesome, but he isn’t quite as good at pulling rabbits out of his hat yet.

    If CL sits down and looks at our offense without werts, he should be able to recognize we have a serious problem. It ain’t the players. When you literally call the same damned thing every series (and usually 3x on the first series,) nothing good will happen.

    I don’t think we have much of a playbook. I don’t think we ever will with DeBeese

  6. #6

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    A lot depends on Werts.

    He is athletic enough to make stuff happen in spite of stupid playcalling.

    CL really needs to examine the staff. This rough season so far is almost entirely on them. 12 players on the field is something comment staffs rarely do..... Much less twice in a game.

    IDK if anything can be done about playcalling on offense, but it’s bad and actually getting worse. We blow soooo many series by running the exact same play the first time, almost every time.

    Debeese’s playcalling was probably as bad last season, but every once in a while Werts, Kennedy, or Fields could make something happen with a totally blown play. Tomlin is awesome, but he isn’t quite as good at pulling rabbits out of his hat yet.

    If CL sits down and looks at our offense without werts, he should be able to recognize we have a serious problem. It ain’t the players. When you literally call the same damned thing every series (and usually 3x on the first series,) nothing good will happen.

    I don’t think we have much of a playbook. I don’t think we ever will with DeBeese
    What would you change about playcalling?

  7. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    What would you change about playcalling?
    Remember the stuff Fritz did?

    The tricky stuff with misdirection?

    That crap usually worked wonderfully.

    Do at least a little of that and give us some dimension.

    Opponents know that we will run a dive at least twice per series, and maybe we will pop a throw three times a game. Sure, it’s nice to see the ball in the air a few times, but there are more sure-fire ways to keep defenses honest and get some points.

    Other than the simple reverse against Ark, we don’t see any attempt at misdirection or trickery. Just none.

    I don’t think DeBeese is capable of running it with those wrinkles if he hasn’t at least tried that stuff.

    Supposedly, DeBeese was the offenseive genius behind Fritz. I’m beginning to doubt that.

    Overall, we screw around with the dive way too much. If the holes ain’t there, it ain’t gonna work. And when the other team is allowed to bring everything they have and all their relatives to stack us, the holes will never be there.

    I just can’t wrap my head around why our offense STILL is much more Stowers than Fritz. We damned sure have the athletes to do better.

    Conservative is one thing. Predictable to this point means we are gonna get our ***** kicked.

  8. Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Remember the stuff Fritz did?

    The tricky stuff with misdirection?

    That crap usually worked wonderfully.

    Do at least a little of that and give us some dimension.

    Opponents know that we will run a dive at least twice per series, and maybe we will pop a throw three times a game. Sure, it’s nice to see the ball in the air a few times, but there are more sure-fire ways to keep defenses honest and get some points.

    Other than the simple reverse against Ark, we don’t see any attempt at misdirection or trickery. Just none.

    I don’t think DeBeese is capable of running it with those wrinkles if he hasn’t at least tried that stuff.

    Supposedly, DeBeese was the offenseive genius behind Fritz. I’m beginning to doubt that.

    Overall, we screw around with the dive way too much. If the holes ain’t there, it ain’t gonna work. And when the other team is allowed to bring everything they have and all their relatives to stack us, the holes will never be there.

    I just can’t wrap my head around why our offense STILL is much more Stowers than Fritz. We damned sure have the athletes to do better.
    So would you run more wham, load, speed, triple, or something else?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Remember the stuff Fritz did?

    The tricky stuff with misdirection?

    That crap usually worked wonderfully.

    Do at least a little of that and give us some dimension.

    Opponents know that we will run a dive at least twice per series, and maybe we will pop a throw three times a game. Sure, it’s nice to see the ball in the air a few times, but there are more sure-fire ways to keep defenses honest and get some points.

    Other than the simple reverse against Ark, we don’t see any attempt at misdirection or trickery. Just none.

    I don’t think DeBeese is capable of running it with those wrinkles if he hasn’t at least tried that stuff.

    Supposedly, DeBeese was the offenseive genius behind Fritz. I’m beginning to doubt that.

    Overall, we screw around with the dive way too much. If the holes ain’t there, it ain’t gonna work. And when the other team is allowed to bring everything they have and all their relatives to stack us, the holes will never be there.

    I just can’t wrap my head around why our offense STILL is much more Stowers than Fritz. We damned sure have the athletes to do better.
    I think the Fritz/Reuse offense worked better and looked better because offensive line play was so much better. It didn't look too great against App or Ga State in 2015 when we got know push up front. The line has struggled early but looked better in the first half on Saturday. I think as that improves, our offense will look more dynamic. We shouldn't forget the amount of turnover on the offensive line this year.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Predict our 2019 Conference Record

    Klak be gentle.

    Paul Johnson was a total and complete ball hawk. He watched every move of every player and every ref on every play at every moment. CCL inhales vigorously at this. He has to improve his overall management of the game. Much of this season so far is on him...

    8 games into the season last year after two losses we curb stomp Coastal. The offense remains vanilla through the entire game. Less than half way through the third quarter he brings in back ups with a 30 pt cushion. Power five teams aren't bringing in backups with 30 pt cushions. OPEN UP THE PLAY BOOK at some point. The answer to your question is yes. Run something other than what you run over and over and over and over and over.

Similar Threads

  1. Predict our 2018 baseball record
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 17th January 2018, 09:46 AM
  2. Predict the W/L record for baseball in 2010
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22nd December 2009, 05:29 PM
  3. Predict the 2009 Season Record
    By Joseph in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 23rd November 2009, 08:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •