TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: University of Alabama amazing student attendance strategy

Default University of Alabama amazing student attendance strategy

So i’m sure some of you have heard about this as I know UGA used to have it maybe they still do but Alabama has an app for students that tracks their location when students check in to sporting events and the longer they stay they earn points and rewards which they can use to earn gear and other items. I would love if there was anything we could do to this scale to boost student attendance at other events and also prevent 60% of students leaving at halftime

2. Default Re: University of Alabama amazing student attendance strategy

That's actually a good idea.

(I knew Alabama could have one.... Eventually.)

Default Re: University of Alabama amazing student attendance strategy

I’m not into bribing students to be at the games. If they want to be there they will be there.

I actually asked about this a year or so ago. They acted like they've been exploring the idea of something along those lines, but we're waiting on some software or something to get set up.

One of our marketing graduate assistants who finished up in May or so actually helped with a student rewards app during her undergrad at VT

Sounds like an evolution of the Student Eagle Club that rewarded students based on event attendance but was difficult to track. Would be a big win if GS could get on board with this.

6. Default Re: University of Alabama amazing student attendance strategy

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Sounds like an evolution of the Student Eagle Club that rewarded students based on event attendance but was difficult to track. Would be a big win if GS could get on board with this.
    Wouldn't be difficult to track now....

All you'd need is an app with proper permissions designed in.

(I have noticed a LOT of students leave in the 3rd or 4th quarter. I watched a bunch stream out-even at the App game..... Couldn't believe that.) IDK. People have a shorter attention span now I guess. We used to stay all the way to the bitter end of Stowers games (not sure how in hell we did that, but we never left early.)

Just hold a raffle each week-give away something cool. A top-of-the-line laptop or smartphone. Maybe free tuition for a month. Whatever. .

Make it so that student get 1 entry per quarter. If you are there after the singing of the alma mater, award 5 or 10 bonus entries. Problem solved.

I really like this idea! Make it apply to other sports as well! Everyone loves a prize.

Sounds like a great idea. Using location based services they can verify if someone was in the stadium the whole game vs. a quarter.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

8. Default Re: University of Alabama amazing student attendance strategy

I proposed something a couple of years ago similar to what South Carolina does. You get points for attending non-revenue generating sports during the school year ie volleyball, women’s/men’s soccer, etc. and the more points you accumulated, the more reward tiers you could climb. For U of SC students, the threshold everyone is trying to reach is priority status when claiming football tickets since they use a lottery system to distribute students ticket packages and the higher your points, the better your ticket package would be. Since our students get in for free to all games, we could come up with some other rewards that your points can be exchanged for like concert tickets, free swag, maybe even admittance to a completely catered students-only tailgate.

Where are the students going? Well that's simple the ones that are leaving are going to party etc. It's Saturday night around 7:30 pm and you are standing in 90+ degree heat when one person gets a text or idea "come to the blue room" or other location. That is when the masses start flowing out the gates. How do you fix this? Well you can try but probably won't...If they serve beer in the stadium to all areas that could help but that is for 21+ students and I highly doubt these are the ones that are leaving. How do other universities do it? Well it starts by our record last year and the hype around the program which has increased numbers at least at the beginning of the game. The larger colleges have larger student fan bases so if half the students don't attend then their student section is still full....I hope someone comes up with a plan I just don't see a fix to the "I'm leaving to go party" problem. But, we really need the students in the 4th quarter for the noise and the intensity they bring to the visiting side alone!

It's an "issue" at every school. Always has been, always will be. You see it at top schools like Bama and Georgia as well. Quite frankly, I think it will get worse as TV coverage continues to grow. Way too many other things going on to spend 4 hours "trapped" at a football game... especially for students.

The best way to "fix" this is to play opponents as local as possible to your school. They discussed this at length on one of the ESPNU radio shows this week. Think about GS, we always had decent attendance for games against Savannah State as compared to games against Maine or some school nobody has ever heard of. Georgia and GT should be playing us and GState on a regular basis. In turn, we should be hosting teams like Mercer, Citadel, and KSU. Those schools will bring fans and students will have their friends who attend those schools coming to visit.

Look how many fans we took to GT. You think Idaho or Long Island State bring that many?
    Last edited by Pike51; 13th September 2019 at 07:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.