TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Justin Tomlin For The Win!

Default Re: Justin Tomlin For The Win!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    He was dressed in pregame warmups then came out of the locker room in shorts.

Take from that what you will.
    Per the coach's show, he dressed in warm ups to try and see how his shoulder was. CCL felt it wasn't good enough for passes and pitches, so he was in shorts and wasn't going to play regardless of score.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    Comparing redshirt freshman Werts to redshirt freshman Tomlin is laughable. Of course Tomlin is further along than than Werts was. Werts redshirt and freshman year was spent under perhaps the worst coaching staff in college football history. But what did Tomlin do on Saturday that Werts can’t do? I didn’t see anything. Werts is still more elusive, has a better arm and at least right now seems to be more careful with the football. Tomlin probably has better pocket presence, but Werts threw ten touchdown passes last year so I think he’s ok in that area.
    Werts doesn't break that 45 yd TD run; He hesitates and gains 3-5 yards or in the event he did break it, he gets caught @ the 20

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    Comparing redshirt freshman Werts to redshirt freshman Tomlin is laughable. Of course Tomlin is further along than than Werts was. Werts redshirt and freshman year was spent under perhaps the worst coaching staff in college football history. But what did Tomlin do on Saturday that Werts can’t do? I didn’t see anything. Werts is still more elusive, has a better arm and at least right now seems to be more careful with the football. Tomlin probably has better pocket presence, but Werts threw ten touchdown passes last year so I think he’s ok in that area.
    Werts is not a natural slasher like Tomlin is. I’m referring to that one-cut, then vertical explosion JT flashed in his long runs. That’s the best quality you can have running the zone-read stuff we run.

Overall, though, Werts is a more accomplished runner with flashy feet, elusiveness, strength, and toughness.

Tomlin threw the ball better in HS than Werts. If he continues to show the same pocket presence and delivery he showed Saturday while adding stronger, better throws, he’s got more upside as a passer. He’s not there yet, IMO.

Right now, he’s clearly behind Werts. If he plays a lot this season and comes into 2020 with a firm grasp of the offense, I could see a QB controversy at that point. Unless Tomlin takes a giant leap or Werts regresses (or is less than 100% when he returns), I don’t think we’ll have one in 2019.
    Last edited by pete4256; 10th September 2019 at 11:14 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Werts doesn't break that 45 yd TD run; He hesitates and gains 3-5 yards or in the event he did break it, he gets caught @ the 20

Now that’s rich.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Per the coach's show, he dressed in warm ups to try and see how his shoulder was. CCL felt it wasn't good enough for passes and pitches, so he was in shorts and wasn't going to play regardless of score.
    You don’t mess around with a bad throwing shoulder. Ask Chaz or Kevin Ellison.

Get that guy healthy!
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Wait—we were FBS in 2012 and 2013?

You’ve got to be honest with yourself about your track record. You have all but called Davis, DeBesse, Gillespie/Dean, and Cook incompetent. And you roundly criticized Fritz/Ruse when we didn’t throw the ball enough for your tastes.

Similarly, you’ve bashed every starting QB we’ve had, posting—at least once per season—that (insert starting QB) throws worse than the average HS QB and is holding our offense back.

You’re not always wrong, and you’ve turned in a very consistent body of work over time.

Why deny that?

The general basis of what you said is true...the post itself is greatly exaggerated though I’ve never come close to calling any of those guys incompetent...well maybe Cook (smile). If I called anybody incompetent it was that TERRIBLE OL coach we had under Summers. And that guy was horrible.

As for the QB’s, I mean yeah their arms have held us back. I didn’t realize that was an opinion I was all alone in. I don’t post atleast once a season that they are worse than the average HS QB though.

Keep exaggerating if it makes you feel better though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

7. Default Re: Justin Tomlin For The Win!

Tomlin redshirted last season, so . . .

JT is what I thought he was based on his HS film. The question is how much better can he get?
    Oh, you're right.

Not sure why I thought he was a redshirt. Thanks for the correction.....

Does anyone see potential for a two QB system?

Now that’s rich.

Just so we are clear I am not in the Oldfart camp on this one. I honestly can’t tell if he’s serious or trolling at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Now that’s rich.
    Rich? I thought it was just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    The general basis of what you said is true...the post itself is greatly exaggerated though I’ve never come close to calling any of those guys incompetent...well maybe Cook (smile). If I called anybody incompetent it was that TERRIBLE OL coach we had under Summers. And that guy was horrible.

As for the QB’s, I mean yeah their arms have held us back. I didn’t realize that was an opinion I was all alone in. I don’t post atleast once a season that they are worse than the average HS QB though.

Keep exaggerating if it makes you feel better though.
    I’m not sure if “exaggerating” is the right word. It’s possible I’m being “reductive.”

BUT when you write things like, “a competent OC would do _____,” that implies that an OC who does otherwise is incompetent.

At least to me.

Like I said, sometimes you’re right. But you definitively have an ideal offense in mind since 2012. Except for one quarter vs Samford and a couple of games in 2014 and 2015, we’ve fallen short of your ideal.

We’ve won a lot of games, though.
    Thanks, Rastabot!