TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Simple solution. Only sell beer on the press box side of the stadium. Make beer sales one beer per customer per time to limit beers being passed to persons under 21. Have security monitor people walking from the press box side to the student side and check IDs of anyone carrying beer to further avoid beer from entering the student section. Those wishing to sit in a family friendlier area can simply purchase their season tickets on the no-alcohol side of the stadium in the second level. Meanwhile having concessions with beer - or better yet a few breweries setting up windows - on the press-box side will offer a nice incentive to those fans who wish to have a beer during the game to purchase season tickets for that side of the stadium.
    Nothing is that simple, but I get your point. I sit on the press box side so I do not have the sun blasting into my face (been there done that) and enjoy the shade from the press box. If I were faced with being uncomfortable or staying home then I would probably choose staying home (where ironically I can drink since I am not driving). I am sure others would face that dilemma as well, which is why I said a detailed study is needed. If the pros of alcohol sales outweigh the cons then they should probably do it. If they can find ways to address the cons and try to strike a balance then that may be ideal, but you need to know the concerns of the fan base and donors to make an informed decision.

Edit: actually put the alcohol sales in the brightest/hottest area to help drive up sales! LOL

I think having a 1 beverage per purchase limit is actually pretty smart. It limits how much 1 person can drink, it keeps the line long as you'll have those people who will be right back in line for another, and it diminishes the opportunity for passing a beer along (why am I waiting in line for 10 minutes so WE can have a beer when I can wait in line for 5 and I can have a beer).

Also, to gwinnetteagle88's point which has been posted NUMEROUS times and has been overlooked - the revenue from alcohol sales is not program changing. If we had 30,000+ attending every week, with only 7-8k being students, then I could see where the math may make more sense. But right now, a good bit of our attendance that can afford to drink 2-3 beverages per game already get it through Luxury Boxes, Bishop building or Eagle club seats with beer garden.

3. Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I think having a 1 beverage per purchase limit is actually pretty smart. It limits how much 1 person can drink, it keeps the line long as you'll have those people who will be right back in line for another, and it diminishes the opportunity for passing a beer along (why am I waiting in line for 10 minutes so WE can have a beer when I can wait in line for 5 and I can have a beer).

Also, to gwinnetteagle88's point which has been posted NUMEROUS times and has been overlooked - the revenue from alcohol sales is not program changing. If we had 30,000+ attending every week, with only 7-8k being students, then I could see where the math may make more sense. But right now, a good bit of our attendance that can afford to drink 2-3 beverages per game already get it through Luxury Boxes, Bishop building or Eagle club seats with beer garden.
    I agree with this EXCEPT the revenue not being program-changing.

All revenue is program-changing. And we better stop passing this up.

People laugh at the Ted and those downtown clowns selling beer. You better believe they are making money off that beer, and you better believe they make a whole lot of $$$$$$ when some P5 comes there. (Or when some state program like ours of Kennesaw rolls on in with tens of thousands of actual fans.)

Like it or not, that’s our competition.... And they are plowing money into their program.

We better stop overlooking revenue. We will need every penny to stop from being overshadowed.

We gotta get past this blue law silliness and compete. A few hundred grand per season is money we cannot pass up. Competing against another team in state with a downtown stadium is a big deal. They will join a real conference before us if we keep playing like this is Sunday school.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

People laugh at the Ted and those downtown clowns selling beer. You better believe they are making money off that beer, and you better believe they make a whole lot of $$$$$$ when some P5 comes there. (Or when some state program like ours of Kennesaw rolls on in with tens of thousands of actual fans.)

Like it or not, that’s our competition.... And they are plowing money into their program.

We better stop overlooking revenue. We will need every penny to stop from being overshadowed.

We gotta get past this blue law silliness and compete. A few hundred grand per season is money we cannot pass up. Competing against another team in state with a downtown stadium is a big deal. They will join a real conference before us if we keep playing like this is Sunday school.
    If our budget is $30,000,000, and we increase it to $30,200,000...that changes the program? I'll have to disagree with you there. Yes I agree that every bit of money is important, but the crusade for beer sells needs a better selling point than the missed revenue angle.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

Georgia State will already join a "bigger" conference before we do. They have the full affirmative support of the BOR and lots of token support from the City of Atlanta. They don't have to have fans.
    I don't oppose alcohol sales. In fact, I would like to see complementary beer discontinued and start selling it. Most people drink low risk amounts (2-3). Unfortunately, high risk use creates problems.
    The powers that be created clear bag policy, no umbrellas, no bottle tops, no tobacco use, no vaping - but let's sell or give away alcohol. It's just interesting to see how inconsistent bureaucracy can be. I don't care if people are drinking, smoking, snorting, or shooting at the game.

6. Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    If our budget is $30,000,000, and we increase it to $30,200,000...that changes the program? I'll have to disagree with you there. Yes I agree that every bit of money is important, but the crusade for beer sells needs a better selling point than the missed revenue angle.
    That logic doesn’t make sense to me. More revenue is more revenue. An extra $200k could pay for scholarships for an entire team of athletes. Thereby freeing up money for other needs. Using that same logic, I should throw away a winning lottery ticket just because I’ll only get 40% of the jackpot after taxes.

7. Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    Georgia State will already join a "bigger" conference before we do. They have the full affirmative support of the BOR and lots of token support from the City of Atlanta. They don't have to have fans.
    I don't oppose alcohol sales. In fact, I would like to see complementary beer discontinued and start selling it. Most people drink low risk amounts (2-3). Unfortunately, high risk use creates problems.
    The powers that be created clear bag policy, no umbrellas, no bottle tops, no tobacco use, no vaping - but let's sell or give away alcohol. It's just interesting to see how inconsistent bureaucracy can be. I don't care if people are drinking, smoking, snorting, or shooting at the game.
    There’s a difference between beer and heroine, Cliff.

Alcohol sales at Paulson was addressed at the coaches caravan in Statesboro.

Paraphrasing, but to the the best of my recollection it was stated that:

1) Alcohol sales were recognized to be an additional potential revenue source.
    2) The Board of Regents was perceived to be not in favor of doing so, and not excited about the SEC allowing sales.
    3) The powers that be in Statesboro would take a “wait and see” approach until positive signs from the BOR were forthcoming.

CCL stated that he had personally witnessed a reduction in alcohol related issues with the crowd once beer sales began at a stadium previously.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    There’s a difference between beer and heroine, Cliff.
    to some yes, to others it is the same, a substance that produces a buzz. Folks with alcohol problems don't drink because their thirsty or like the taste of it. Heck, I like the taste of DR Pepper but I never bought a case of it and drove down back roads chugging it, now "yellow Coca-Cola ", oh my yes, the more the better(smile). It will be what it will be. What I'm not fond of is sitting next to or around someone who has been pounding them out in their tailgate party but decide that wasn't enough and have to get "sloppy drunk" to pull for their Eagles. I'm also not fond of upchuck in the bathroom stall because some half stepper can't hold is adult beverage. But other than those instances I got no problem with booze sales.

10. Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    Alcohol sales at Paulson was addressed at the coaches caravan in Statesboro.

Paraphrasing, but to the the best of my recollection it was stated that:

1) Alcohol sales were recognized to be an additional potential revenue source.
    2) The Board of Regents was perceived to be not in favor of doing so, and not excited about the SEC allowing sales.
    3) The powers that be in Statesboro would take a “wait and see” approach until positive signs from the BOR were forthcoming.

CCL stated that he had personally witnessed a reduction in alcohol related issues with the crowd once beer sales began at a stadium previously.
    My question is if it’s a BOR issue, why has Georgia State been allowed to sell beer for several seasons now? Don’t we have the same BOR?