TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Walk on punter

1. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    Coach Lunsford has coached ST play for years and knows the “how and why” and what mistakes were happening and plausible fixes.

“If” we could sit down with him and speak candidly to what we see as fans, that perspective would surely help us understand things better.

In PK and Punting, the difference in ok/good/great can literally be determined by split seconds. One extra step, misstep, or poorly angled snap can make or break you.
    We aren't talking about OK.

That position is a huge problem.

When literally 80% of the people around me in the stands are cussing every time we go to punt, there is a very obvious problem.

We got super lucky. I don't like depending on luck.

Default Re: Walk on punter

The scrimmage Saturday seemed to enforce that this still needs to be an area of emphasis. Glad there is some young talent joining to help us go GTG.

whoever is our punter this season, GET THE PUNT OFF QUICKLY!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I get that.

But I donít think that was the main problem.

I havenít put a timer to it, but I bet most kicks were almost 4 seconds from catch to air.

Thatís way too long. No matter the distance, any halfway decent defense can be all over the kicker in that time.
    You're talking about something completely different than what we were talking about.

I acknowledged what you're talking about in my first comment, and the problem with how long the kick takes is exacerbated by the fact that the formation is shallow....meaning that blockers get there even faster.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    You're talking about something completely different than what we were talking about.

I acknowledged what you're talking about in my first comment, and the problem with how long the kick takes is exacerbated by the fact that the formation is shallow....meaning that blockers get there even faster.
    I agree. It seemed our punter was a yard or two closer to the line of scrimmage compared to prior years and the result was a few blocked punts and numerous near misses.

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    I agree. It seemed our punter was a yard or two closer to the line of scrimmage compared to prior years and the result was a few blocked punts and numerous near misses.
    The shallow depth of the formation coupled with how slow he is to get punts off. If he was a bit quicker it wouldn't be as bad. However, the time from snap to kick is fairly high.

I knew App would key on it and they did, blocking one. They were the first to really use it against us. I'm surprised more teams didn't just come after it.

7. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I knew App would key on it and they did, blocking one. They were the first to really use it against us. I'm surprised more teams didn't just come after it.

People can talk “bullseye” and whatever..... But that particular bullseye was on our backs pretty much every game. For some reason, the staff just didn’t address it.

I think a lot of it was just luck. I remember more than a couple of plays, I just looked away as that hand jive was happening. I was totally expecting to hear the ball getting slapped down. Other teams got very close on numerous occasions.

We were just so lucky that didn’t turn into 6 or 7 blocks and three pick 6s.

I would play the new guy right now. It cannot be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    People can talk “bullseye” and whatever..... But that particular bullseye was on our backs pretty much every game. For some reason, the staff just didn’t address it.

I think a lot of it was just luck. I remember more than a couple of plays, I just looked away as that hand jive was happening. I was totally expecting to hear the ball getting slapped down. Other teams got very close on numerous occasions.

We were just so lucky that didn’t turn into 6 or 7 blocks and three pick 6s.

I would play the new guy right now. It cannot be worse.
    The staff did address it. Numerous times. Trust me, if a bunch of message board fans saw it, they did too.

They are obviously continuing to address it through recruiting as well.

How do you get a pick 6 on a punt?

No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

10. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    How do you get a pick 6 on a punt?

Like this: