TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     

View Poll Results: Who will lead the team in rushing for 2019?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shai Werts

    13 23.64%
  • JD King

    35 63.64%
  • Wes Kennedy

    2 3.64%
  • Logan Wright

    4 7.27%
  • Matt Laroche

    1 1.82%
  • Someone else

    0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

  1. #31

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Ideally, we WOULD have mirror images flanking each other: two Jericks, two Breidas, two Wesley Fields, etc.

    Then, you could do anything you wanted without showing any “tendencies” based on personnel.

    Speed is the most important attribute for a RB in this offense, but running IZ is the most important skill.

    Part of what we’ll always see is DeBesse adapting to his personnel. For instance, we saw Logan Wright on the field much more as the season went on.

    Part of that is that he proved himself a capable IZ runner.

    The other thing is that having him on the field enable us to run a lot of good plays with him leading Werts to the edge. I’m not sure it was technically a “load” scheme (ask Buzz), but it was functionally a lot like some of the stuff we did with Jerick and Swope in 2012 (UCA, for instance).

    I don’t see why we couldn’t run those same plays with LaRoche cut blocking, though.

    Anyway, there’s no real difference with RB1 and RB2 in our two-back sets. You’re seeing bigs and fasts lineup because everyone assumes our top four look like this:

    1 King
    2 Kennedy
    3 Wright
    4 LaRoche

    Written as a split-back two-deep, it just comes out as

    RB1 King, Wright
    RB2 Kennedy, LaRoche

    That’s just a coincidence. Think of it as

    A1: Ernest Thompson, JJ Wilcox
    A2: Mark Myers, Zzream Walden
    Based on your first two sentences, would we be best suited to ‘platoon’ the bigs and the fasts?

    BTW, Lunsford says on that video just posted on another thread that Wright had improved the most and was in position to be ‘the starter’ whatever that means. I’m really looking forward to seeing us all be pleasantly surprised at just what he can do. Just a couple of plays in particular last season gave me the impression that he’s potentially a sleeping giant and could be really special.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

  2. #32

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Oh, here’s a thought:

    Didn’t Bo Jackson and Lionel James (5’6” 171lbs) start beside each other at halfback in the wishbone at Auburn?
    “Little Train” James?

    Did Auburn not adjust their scheme a bit to feature Bo? Were they still running a pure ‘bone by then or did they do a lot of I formation stuff? Bo’s always described as a ‘tailback’.

    I really can’t remember.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

  3. #33

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    “Little Train” James?

    Did Auburn not adjust their scheme a bit to feature Bo? Were they still running a pure ‘bone by then or did they do a lot of I formation stuff? Bo’s always described as a ‘tailback’.

    I really can’t remember.
    IIRC, Auburn went to the I later in Bo’s career (after James was gone).
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  4. #34

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    IIRC, Auburn went to the I later in Bo’s career (after James was gone).
    Bo Jackson, though . . . Perhaps the most freakishly gifted and versatile athlete to ever play the game. He had all of the speed and elusiveness of a prototypical halfback, PLUS all the power and size of a fullback as a bonus. In almost any other example there tends to be some degree of trade off in tools/ability. Also, the ‘bone was what.they.did. And they changed it just for him. I thank you, though, for making me watch some old Bo Jackson highlights. He was amazing. His speed and that sprinter’s forward lean are similar to Breida’s.

    So, I hate to admit my lack of knowledge on the subject, but if you’re bored I’d be interested in seeing a breakdown on our various backfield formations and their respective personnel requirements. (it was a lot simpler back in the days of “two A’s, one B, and no TE’s”
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

  5. #35

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    BTW, Lunsford says on that video just posted on another thread that Wright had improved the most and was in position to be ‘the starter’ whatever that means. I’m really looking forward to seeing us all be pleasantly surprised at just what he can do. Just a couple of plays in particular last season gave me the impression that he’s potentially a sleeping giant and could be really special.
    I like Wright a whole lot, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s #1. He’s a great big guy who knows how to run the football. Is he fast? Fast enough, says I.

    To me, maybe the most interesting part of getting King eligible is how it affects Kennedy’s play count as a RB. Does he play more snaps at SLOT now?

    If so, we’d seem to have a glut of players at THAT position.

    With the lack of numbers at WR, I wonder whether Thompson and/or Murray are candidates to move outside. Both would add needed athleticism to WR.
    Last edited by pete4256; 21st August 2019 at 05:22 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  6. #36

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Probably one of the last video games I played and pretty much dead on. Whoever got to pick teams first.....


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,415

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    With King eligible I really hope we look at moving Thompson to WR. I don’t know how good of a blocker he is but if we can have Kennedy in the slot and Thompson at WR we get a lot more speed on the field. Of course still have to use it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    With King eligible I really hope we look at moving Thompson to WR. I don’t know how good of a blocker he is but if we can have Kennedy in the slot and Thompson at WR we get a lot more speed on the field. Of course still have to use it though.
    Having Kennedy, Murray, Hood, Thompson, Lewis, and Tarver at slot is overkill, as that’s just one position that plays maybe half the offensive snaps. We played three slots TOTAL last season.

    We need the help at WR, where we like to rotate and usually have two on the field. We’re very thin there unless some young guys figure to contribute.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

  9. #39

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    I would think a "thunder and lightning" combo would be good for this offense. Go up the middle with the bigger guy to set up the option with the faster guy as the pitch man. That's kind of what you do in the flexbone anyway, right?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    REgardling football Scheduling.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    28,415

    Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I would think a "thunder and lightning" combo would be good for this offense. Go up the middle with the bigger guy to set up the option with the faster guy as the pitch man. That's kind of what you do in the flexbone anyway, right?

    But as we saw with Brieda this offense works really well when you have lightning going up the middle too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Similar Threads

  1. My guess on the 2019 football schedule
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 1st March 2019, 01:34 PM
  2. Predict the two-deep for the skill positions on offense
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 20th July 2016, 04:20 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11th January 2014, 08:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •