TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boone Weekend

Default Re: Boone Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by GSUALLDAY25 View Post
    So I’m thinking about heading up to Boone for the first time ever for the game. For anyone who has ever been before, any recommendations on things to do or see besides attending the game and also where to stay in general? I plan on making it a weekend getaway and also checking out some hiking trails.
    It’s a beautiful area-Blowing Rock the town has some good restaurants & nice shops, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mtn, Mast General Store in Valle Crucis. Our group has been going for 18 years.
    Rick Kinney
    Class of 1980
    Irmo, SC

2. Default Re: Boone Weekend

Blue Ridge Parkway of course......Blowing Rock, nice town & Banner Elk downtown small buy nice.

On one App game trip in a Blowing Rock restaurant bar I got a small App college ban to play Statesboro Blues. On their break at the bar I asked if they knew anything about the song. Only the drummer knew it was a written by Blind Man Willie McTell and not the Allman Brothers. I told them it was about Statesbroro, GA home of GS. They had no idea, at first 2 were not happy but I bought them a round of beers :-), and they had a good laugh. Who knows you may see the next Eric Church or Like Combs around Boone.

Linville Falls, Linville Caverns, First Mast Store, Zip-lining, biking the Virginia Creeper (1 hour away) tons of water falls and hiking. Grandfather Mountain is expensive and not worth it in my opinion. All the stores still close early like 6:00 except restaurants and bars. Parking is a pain downtown Boone but a few hotels are walking distance to the stadium. No game day parking at the Mall.

Apps fan base growth thinned out the inbred gene pool and fans are not bad as they were in the late 90s. It was terrible back then.
    "I believe political correctness is one of the most dangerous movements facing America." Erk Russell

Quote Originally Posted by gsudarlin View Post
    Player came flying out of bounds on a play and broke Keel's leg.

Guy can still run a faster 5k than me
    Broke and dislocated his ankle. I was about 10 feet from him when it happened, one of the more gruesome things I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    Broke and dislocated his ankle. I was about 10 feet from him when it happened, one of the more gruesome things I've ever seen.
    You probably weren't standing too far from me then...

I loved that he wanted to be on the sidelines in the midst of everything. inhale vigorouslyed that something like that happened but he definitely didn't let it slow him down or keep him away!!

Stay away from the Green's Hotel (Motel?).

Rent a cabin. It has snowed almost every time I've been. Make sure to get one with an outdoor jacuzzi. Nothing like a cold beer in a hot tub in the snow.

Catch the tram to the game, don't walk a mile uphill to the Stadium - check times and don't miss that tram. I've done it, carrying a child - it ain't fun.

Here's a little cool spot to check out - especially if you have kids: http://www.exploreboone.com/things-t.../mystery-hill/

It is a hostile town. Their fans/town really support their program - don't let yourself get mad about it. If "Southern hospitality" exist there, I haven't seen it!
    I try to appreciate it and we get a good laugh about it and usually a story or two.

RENT THAT CABIN! Try VRBO.com They really are reasonable even for only two compared to a nice hotel room Rented one for just me and the wife one time. And if you get at least one other couple to go with you, it can be cheaper than a hotel.

Don't forget that this year's game is on Halloween night. And it's on a Thursday.

Blowing rock is neat with their scenic walk through, worth checking out at least once and not far away.

[QUOTE=gsudarlin;971377]You probably weren't standing too far from me then...

you are correct.

We have done the cabin thing as well and had a blast. This was 15 years ago, but the highlight of the night before the game was someone in our group figuring out several App St assistant coaches had their numbers listed in the phone book. There may have been calls about every hour or so that night to ensure they didn’t need anything 😁

Went twice about 10 years ago and stayed at the Honey Bear campground or something like that. it was only a few minutes from campus. We had an RV at the time, but they also had cabins that you could rent. Had some friends rent one and enjoyed it.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    We have done the cabin thing as well and had a blast. This was 15 years ago, but the highlight of the night before the game was someone in our group figuring out several App St assistant coaches had their numbers listed in the phone book. There may have been calls about every hour or so that night to ensure they didn’t need anything 

I wonder if the LSU coaches have listed numbers?

10. Default Re: Boone Weekend

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    We have done the cabin thing as well and had a blast. This was 15 years ago, but the highlight of the night before the game was someone in our group figuring out several App St assistant coaches had their numbers listed in the phone book. There may have been calls about every hour or so that night to ensure they didn’t need anything 
    Extra style points!