TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Debesse and this team...

1. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I don’t want to bash anyone on those teams, but I think this group should be much MUCH better on defense in general, and Werts is probably equal to Ellison.

RBs are a question mark, but a minor one I think. We have a lot of great options there.

Special teams, much better-no question. We have a super kicker, and we have been good on kickoff returns.

Overall, I think this team will be much better.
    Thats a brave statement on the special teams. When they finally turned it over to KOO in 2015, he was 7-9 with a long of 48 and 28-28 on Xp's. Plus, Nowicki avg over 40 yds per punt. Bauerle is slow as a turtle and has no leg.

Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    I won't they would've started but i believe WK3 and LW would've for sure seen a lot of playing time. LW would've played over LA Ramsby and WK3 would be doing the same as he's doing now.
    At QB, Werts may not ever be as good as Ellison at the option game, but he'll be good, he can make runs Ellison couldn't and is way more consistent throwing deep balls.

RB: Matt Breida is one guy that doesn't have an analogue in this offense but Kennedy averaged 7.8 yards a carry last season and will be playing more back.

Offensive Line: These guys haven't peaked yet. I think they'll compare to at least the 2015 line fine.

Receiver: People complain the unit has no speed, but being able to catch the ball is more important than speed (not like receiver unit was that fast in 2015 either). Also, Kennedy and Najee Thompson are both going to be big receiving threats wherever they play anyways (we threw more to Wesley Fields and Kennedy last year more than our receivers).
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th August 2019 at 04:53 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

3. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

The 2018 advanced rushing stats were almost exactly the same as 2015's except for 2 areas: Power Rate (converting short yardage) and Highlight Yards/Opp (turning 10 yard runs into 80 yard runs). The first can be put on the OL, but the second is all on the RBs.

2014 is a different animal. I don't know that we'll get there this year, but I expect to get to that point for 2020. For this season, I want to see a 2010 -> 2011 type leap.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    The 2018 advanced rushing stats were almost exactly the same as 2015's except for 2 areas: Power Rate (converting short yardage) and Highlight Yards/Opp (turning 10 yard runs into 80 yard runs). The first can be put on the OL, but the second is all on the RBs.

2014 is a different animal. I don't know that we'll get there this year, but I expect to get to that point for 2020. For this season, I want to see a 2010 -> 2011 type leap.

And a little bit on downfield blocking.

We were still struggling with that at times.

5. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

KLAK, I'm not sure if you keep an eye on your GATAdb website statistics but I visit it quite often. Just wanted to say i appreciate all the time and effort you put into GS football. From youtube to GATAdb, it's phenomenal.

6. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

KLAK, I'm not sure if you keep an eye on your GATAdb website statistics but I visit it quite often. Just wanted to say i appreciate all the time and effort you put into GS football. From youtube to GATAdb, it's phenomenal.
    Traffic is low, but that's not the point. All of this is a labor of love and I'd do it even if I was the only one who looks at it. I appreciate the kind words though.

7. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Thats a brave statement on the special teams. When they finally turned it over to KOO in 2015, he was 7-9 with a long of 48 and 28-28 on Xp's. Plus, Nowicki avg over 40 yds per punt. Bauerle is slow as a turtle and has no leg.
    I think Bass is better than Koo.

Koo was very good by our standards, but could choke on big kicks. Bass seems to need feel pressure.

100% agreed on punts. That’s a huge problem

8. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Traffic is low, but that's not the point. All of this is a labor of love and I'd do it even if I was the only one who looks at it. I appreciate the kind words though.
    What he said!

Your resources are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I’m not going to say we can’t improve but the reality is how many starters on this 2019 team would have started over the 2014 and 2015 guys?
    So 5 years in fbs so far and we still aren't fielding a team that is better than our fcs recruits? Like fritz said when he arrived, this is the most talented team he has ever seen. He inherited a gold mine. So monken has put together our best recruits in the last 10 years? Looks that way
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    So 5 years in fbs so far and we still aren't fielding a team that is better than our fcs recruits? Like fritz said when he arrived, this is the most talented team he has ever seen. He inherited a gold mine. So monken has put together our best recruits in the last 10 years? Looks that way
    We're more talented on defense today without question. 2014-2015 would have an edge at linebacker over 2018, but that gap is going to close a lot this season.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.