TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Will any other team in Sunbelt advance.

Default Re: Will any other team in Sunbelt advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    That's really not being patronizing. That's just the reality of the situation we're in. I shudder to think where our football program would be if Erk retired and we just said "well, winning championships was fun and all, but it's pretty hard, so mediocre is fine".

I DO want us to play the tough schedules, and I'm even fine with taking 1 game each from those tough teams. I just don't want to see us lose games against UNC-Asheville (finished 16-36), Charleston Southern (23-36), ULM twice (27-31), App State (22-31), Kennesaw State (27-29), and Georgia State (15-41).

If we had won just two of the 4 games we lost to ULM, App, and GAST (3 of the 4 worst teams in the conference), then we have a regular season title and a potential shot at an at-large.

Btw, this would be patronizing:

I'm 35 years old and the last time we went to the CWS/Big Dance was when I was in 2nd grade. If this pace holds, I might see us go twice more before I hit 100!

PS: Mercer went in 2014, and they even won a game.
    Baseball is a very different game than the others in the discussion. If the 1995 Braves play a crappy team like the 1984 Braves, there’s still a good chance the ‘84 team wins one out of 3 games. Football is the other end of the spectrum and basketball somewhere in between.

You’re talking about losing 4 games to 3 opponents in baseball? That’s just life. Like when we beat Florida in a single game several years ago when they were ranked #1 in the country

We play cupcake mid week schedules that destroy our RPI, especially when we lose to some of the worst teams in the country.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

I agree those losses hurt, but mid week it has to be close by due to classes. So ATL, Macon and Charleston schools are what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by gsufanatic View Post
    Baseball is a very different game than the others in the discussion. If the 1995 Braves play a crappy team like the 1984 Braves, there’s still a good chance the ‘84 team wins one out of 3 games. Football is the other end of the spectrum and basketball somewhere in between.

You’re talking about losing 4 games to 3 opponents in baseball? That’s just life. Like when we beat Florida in a single game several years ago when they were ranked #1 in the country
    Every baseball team loses to lesser teams. I get that. But we seem to get nicked a lot with bad losses.

In 2017 we got series wins over 3 of the top 4 Sun Belt opponents and still ended up the 5th seed. Why? Because of so many bad conference losses including a series loss to Georgia State.

The 2009 team is probably the best baseball team I can remember us having and even though we beat ( I think) 3 teams that hosted regionals that season we took ourselves out of at-large consideration by losing multiple games to teams like Furman and North Florida.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Coastal played mid week games against Wake(twice), Clemson(twice), Illinois(twice), NC State, and UNC.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Coastal played mid week games against Wake(twice), Clemson(twice), Illinois(twice), NC State, and UNC.
    I'll follow you over here. Still waiting for an answer. How much do you give to Eagle Fund? How many season tickets? I mean, you obviously "care" about the success of GS Athletics, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Every baseball team loses to lesser teams. I get that. But we seem to get nicked a lot with bad losses.

In 2017 we got series wins over 3 of the top 4 Sun Belt opponents and still ended up the 5th seed. Why? Because of so many bad conference losses including a series loss to Georgia State.

The 2009 team is probably the best baseball team I can remember us having and even though we beat ( I think) 3 teams that hosted regionals that season we took ourselves out of at-large consideration by losing multiple games to teams like Furman and North Florida.
    We won the conference tourney and we’re in a regional in 2009.

We won the conference tourney and we’re in a regional in 2009.
    Yes, but we arguably underachieved, took too many bad losses, and lost to the #3 and #4 seed in that regional.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Aside from Illinois, those are in state opponents. What is your point?

10. Default Re: Will any other team in Sunbelt advance.

Aside from Illinois, those are in state opponents. What is your point?
    Where do you think Coastal is located?