TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    What I don't get is why the CFL doesn't do it and why other failed minor leagues didn't do it. You have a chance to showcase elite high school athletes and people who will potentially be potential pro-bowlers and you can get them on the cheap.

If people like half-n-half are right that UGA and Alabama get huge crowds at least in part because they showcase elite athletes and not because they have huge fan bases, wouldn't that help them?
    The CFL and USFL both has done similar. The CFL tried to sign Hershel Walker as a Freshman, and the USFL did sign him as a Junior. At that time, the NFL would not accept Juniors. Later, I think Rocket Ismael signed with the CFL as Sophomore. (Could be wrong though)
    Last edited by Chris Eagle; 7th May 2019 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    The CFL and USFL both has done similar. The CFL tried to sign Hershel Walker as a Freshman, and the USFL did sign him as a Junior. Later, I think Rocket Ismael signed with the CFL as Sophomore. (Could be wrong though) At that time, the NFL would not accept Juniors. Later, I think Rocket Ismael signed with the CFL as Sophomore. (Could be wrong though)
    There are a lot of regulations in place that keep the CFL from being a developmental league for the NFL.

What the NFL needs is a true minor league system, aimed at 18-23 year olds instead of post-college (and post-NFL) players.

I guess NFL Europe was a decent developmental league for older guys, but the NFL needs to have more teams, more players, and whatever else to takes to get what MLB has. Maybe a third-world location would help keep operating costs down?

This would obviously hurt NCAA football as a business, but who cares about that? Put college football back in its place, like college baseball.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

3. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    There are a lot of regulations in place that keep the CFL from being a developmental league for the NFL.

What the NFL needs is a true minor league system, aimed at 18-23 year olds instead of post-college (and post-NFL) players.

I guess NFL Europe was a decent developmental league for older guys, but the NFL needs to have more teams, more players, and whatever else to takes to get what MLB has. Maybe a third-world location would help keep operating costs down?

This would obviously hurt NCAA football as a business, but who cares about that? Put college football back in its place, like college baseball.
    Imagine a scenario where 40 or so "elite" college football programs split from their respective institutions and became individual franchises. The athletes were no longer students at that university but employees of that franchise. They would be paid according to their individual contracts and would not attend classes or receive a diploma from the university though both the university and the football franchise would exist on the same campus under the same name. Basically removing the "student" from "student athlete." The NFL can then dip into this minor league for talent and those not selected to play in the NFL will eventually age out and have the option of getting their college degree somewhere or doing whatever else.

4. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Imagine a scenario where 40 or so "elite" college football programs split from their respective institutions and became individual franchises. The athletes were no longer students at that university but employees of that franchise. They would be paid according to their individual contracts and would not attend classes or receive a diploma from the university though both the university and the football franchise would exist on the same campus under the same name. Basically removing the "student" from "student athlete." The NFL can then dip into this minor league for talent and those not selected to play in the NFL will eventually age out and have the option of getting their college degree somewhere or doing whatever else.
    That would be real messy from a legal standpoint.

Trademarks, copyrights, TV rights would seem to make that completely impossible.

I do like the concept, tho. The NCAA and NFL have been very abusive of their power.

5. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Why would the NFL want this? What they have now works perfect for them.

6. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    I think it’s less about what the NFL wants and more about what the elite programs want

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    I said the same earlier. Why would the NFL spend good money to have it's own developmental league when the NCAA does it for them for free?
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

8. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

I think it’s less about what the NFL wants and more about what the elite programs want
    You think the elite programs don't want to keep the top 18-21 year olds?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I said the same earlier. Why would the NFL spend good money to have it's own developmental league when the NCAA does it for them for free?
    And that’s why we’re at this current corrupt, immoral impasse.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    And that’s why we’re at this current corrupt, immoral impasse.
    Disagree x 1000. The corruption comes from people breaking the rules to get a head and many players not valuing a free and potentially life changing education. That's not the NFL's fault.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive