TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any baseball updates?

Default Re: Any baseball updates?

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    What decade are you living in?, it's 2019 not 1969 or 79.
    Coastal Carolina just won the NC two fking years ago. Let’s stop pretending baseball is somehow non-inclusive
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Coastal Carolina just won the NC two fking years ago. Let’s stop pretending baseball is somehow non-inclusive
    Were they an at large?

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    What money do you want them to spend?
    Not that we have any more to spend, and not that I think we should take any from football. BUT, IMO we are going to be exactly where we are now until we spend more.

These are all "if we have a bunch of free money" items, not anything that I see as happening anytime soon. We have a nice facility, but are not at the top of the conference. We could definitely improve facilities. I don't know what our recruiting budget is, but I'm sure it could be improved significantly. Do we have someone whose sole job description is recruiting? I'd love to see a baseball only version of GATALifestyle for marketing, recruiting, and social media awareness. Where do our coaches salaries compare to the rest of the league? Do we need to pay more for more or better coaches. What does the operations and day to day staff look like? Could we hire someone to handle the tedious BS to take off Hennon's back? How about flashy alternate uni's????? KIDDING!

I don't know the answers. I just don't get the impression we are spending a lot of money on baseball. If we had it to spend and used it, I think we could see an improvement.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Our OOC schedule is as good as I've seen. With over 10 games against P5's and some traditionally high RPI teams, it's the type of schedule we need if we want any chance of an at-large. In fact, I think we could get in even if we come up just short of 40 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Not that we have any more to spend, and not that I think we should take any from football. BUT, IMO we are going to be exactly where we are now until we spend more.

These are all "if we have a bunch of free money" items, not anything that I see as happening anytime soon. We have a nice facility, but are not at the top of the conference. We could definitely improve facilities. I don't know what our recruiting budget is, but I'm sure it could be improved significantly. Do we have someone whose sole job description is recruiting? I'd love to see a baseball only version of GATALifestyle for marketing, recruiting, and social media awareness. Where do our coaches salaries compare to the rest of the league? Do we need to pay more for more or better coaches. What does the operations and day to day staff look like? Could we hire someone to handle the tedious BS to take off Hennon's back? How about flashy alternate uni's????? KIDDING!

I don't know the answers. I just don't get the impression we are spending a lot of money on baseball. If we had it to spend and used it, I think we could see an improvement.
    We just renovated the field which is one of the nicest in the Sun Belt and added a new scoreboard. We added a director of baseball ops position to take the “tedious BS off Hennon’s back”. Recruiting in baseball is all about money and how you spend your 11.7. You can’t hire more coaches because the NCAA caps it. You could pay them more but our return on investment with Coach Hennon is pretty good so unless you are going to really pay up, then you’d better be careful. I’m not about to get rid of BJ Green either. The guy churns out legit arm after legit arm. Viewing baseball through the lens of running it like a football team is a pretty bad comparison. Just saying we need to spend money is not the answer.

Now if you’d like my opinion, I do think we need to spend money and create a brand new hitting facility that’s indoor and state of the art. Our stadium itself is pretty sweet with the new wall and turf that’s been installed.

I'm not saying the big boys aren't trying to stack things in their favor, but it's more even in baseball than football or basketball. Last year 16 of the 33 at large bids were from non power 5 conferences. Coastal and Louisiana don't seem to be having problems hosting regionals and making tournament runs. Considering they're in our confernce our goal should be to be at their level, or heck at even with South Alabama.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I'm not saying the big boys aren't trying to stack things in their favor, but it's more even in baseball than football or basketball. Last year 16 of the 33 at large bids were from non power 5 conferences. Coastal and Louisiana don't seem to be having problems hosting regionals and making tournament runs. Considering they're in our confernce our goal should be to be at their level, or heck at even with South Alabama.
    That hurts the narrative of why we can’t get in the tourney rocking 31 wins.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    That hurts the narrative of why we can’t get in the tourney rocking 31 wins.
    The fact that we've won 33 or more in 14 of Hennon's 18 years is hurting your narrative of us always winning 31 games.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    The fact that we've won 33 or more in 14 of Hennon's 18 years is hurting your narrative of us always winning 31 games.
    That’s great and all but how many regionals have we been to and how many regional games have we won in those 18 years?

Quote Originally Posted by SigEp614 View Post
    That’s great and all but how many regionals have we been to and how many regional games have we won in those 18 years?
    Oh, I'm with you. In the long run, it's fair to say that we've underachieved. And if you think 'underachieve' is too harsh a criticism given overall W-L success and the fluky nature of how conference tournaments and regionals can play out, it's at least fair to say that we've hurt ourselves during the 3-4 seasons where we had the best chance to do damage in the postseason.

My original point is that the years where we don't take full advantage of older and more experienced talent on our roster is being exacerbated by the fact that dwindling numbers of non-P5 teams getting at-large bids make it very tough to advance to the postseason with a younger team or a roster that has big deficiencies in multiple areas.

Case in point was 2017. We weren't incredible and I wouldn't even call that the best GS team I've ever seen, but they were balanced and perfectly built to win tournaments and regionals. Getting three more outs in the SBC title game would have made us a dangerous 2 or 3 seed in regionals. Instead, we get left out in the cold while opposing coaches openly said we were deserving of a regional bid while 27-win P5s took up spots.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.