Default GS FB - Coaches rewarded with bonuses

Aaron Stone
    GS Alum & Class of '95
    Health/PE Degree
    gsufans.com Donor
    gsufans.com member since 2007
    Sugar Hill, GA

Default Re: GS FB - Coaches rewarded with bonuses

They certainly deserve reward for a job well done, but the structure and scale of the bonuses is kind of absurd. You get $250,000 for winning 6 or fewer games, but if you win 10, you get $257,000! Not sure there's a way around it while paying them a sufficient base and not going broke when we succeed, but it's always kind of seemed silly. An extra $1,000 doesn't seem like it would be the thing that would get DeBesse extra motivated to earn that 10th win.

Regardless, congrats to the staff!
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    They certainly deserve reward for a job well done, but the structure and scale of the bonuses is kind of absurd. You get $250,000 for winning 6 or fewer games, but if you win 10, you get $257,000! Not sure there's a way around it while paying them a sufficient base and not going broke when we succeed, but it's always kind of seemed silly. An extra $1,000 doesn't seem like it would be the thing that would get DeBesse extra motivated to earn that 10th win.

Coach's continuity fund helps with those bonuses and raises.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post

I don't think that's really unusual for incentives.

I think I remember reading that Scott Frost's bonus for the national championship UCF decided to claim was something like $20k.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I don't think that's really unusual for incentives.

I think I remember reading that Scott Frost's bonus for the national championship UCF decided to claim was something like $20k.
    Oh, I agree it’s not just us, but likewise Frost (or any other G5 or lower-tier P5 Coach) deserves a lot more than that if they wildly exceed all expectations and bring immeasurable exposure to the University by winning a highly improbable NC.

It’s not unusual, but it’s emblematic of what’s wrong with the coaching contract market.

Let's say we did win the CFP next year and the bonus was $100K or $500K. Where would that money come from? We can't spend money we don't have.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Let's say we did win the CFP next year and the bonus was $100K or $500K. Where would that money come from? We can't spend money we don't have.
    Obviously it's a moot point, but if we were to win the CFP next year, we would not have a hard time finding the money. The financial impact of such a thing would be huge between increased donations, ticket sales, licensing, royalties, bowl revenue, etc. Hell, Adidas would probably step up and pay it all by themselves*. Depending on how you played it, something like that for a school like us could be monetized in a huge way.

*actually, this made my brain wake up to another perspective: perhaps we (the school) doesn't need to incentivize such accomplishments because the coach's non-coaching earning potential grows exponentially should they happen. CL could make millions upon millions in endorsements with his persona if he were to win the CFP.

Side note: this is a good article that surprised me as far as how much the big bowls pay out:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2018/01/01/how-have-college-football-playoff-payouts-compared-to-bcs-a-conference-by-conference-breakdown/#f1e7d3d29384