TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Chad Lunsford our Dabo Swinney?

Default Is Chad Lunsford our Dabo Swinney?

So I became interested in Dabo Swinney more after we promoted Lunsford but from watching a lot of the behind-the-scenes features on ESPN on Clemson leading up the championship game I'm seeing more parallels between Swinney and Coach Chad Lunsford.

Both were promoted interim coaches with no previous coordinator or head coach experience (obviously). Both have an obvious enthusiasm for the job and are players coaches and really seem to relish the working with young men aspect of the job. Both surround themselves with great coordinators that compliment them well. Lunsford has more a macho game face and doesn't have that same big grin Dabo does when being interviewed after a win but in a lot of ways he feels like the same guy.

I was listening to Joel Klatt and Colin Cowherd and Cowherd brought up something I found was interesting...Nick Saban has a not-so-great reputation as a coach to work under, and that Nick Saban has lost significantly more assistant coaches while Swinney has largely held on to his. Klatt said Nick Saban runs a "factory" and Dabo a "family". I thought it was an interesting comparison.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Default Re: Is Chad Lunsford our Dabo Swinney?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    So I became interested in Dabo Swinney more after we promoted Lunsford but from watching a lot of the behind-the-scenes features on ESPN on Clemson leading up the championship game I'm seeing more parallels between Swinney and Coach Chad Lunsford.

Both were promoted interim coaches with no previous coordinator or head coach experience (obviously). Both have an obvious enthusiasm for the job and are players coaches and really seem to relish the working with young men aspect of the job. Both surround themselves with great coordinators that compliment them well. Lunsford has more a macho game face and doesn't have that same big grin Dabo does when being interviewed after a win but in a lot of ways he feels like the same guy.

I was listening to Joel Klatt and Colin Cowherd and Cowherd brought up something I found was interesting...Nick Saban has a not-so-great reputation as a coach to work under, and that Nick Saban has lost significantly more assistant coaches while Swinney has largely held on to his. Klatt said Nick Saban runs a "factory" and Dabo a "family". I thought it was an interesting comparison.
    I think that was him keeping his emotions in check all season, cause he damn sure let it out after the bowl win. Nothing macho about that.

Plus, I don't think I've ever seen such a look of pure joy like he had on his face toward the end of the App game.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Plus, I don't think I've ever seen such a look of pure joy like he had on his face toward the end of the App game.
    Or the bowl win. Fell to the ground in tears/joy. Then teared up during the ESPN interview. I'm not saying he's going to stay here 10 years but he honestly cares about GSU. Obviously he worked here under 4 different staffs for a reason. He loves GS and the Boro.

Saban has also had every OC and DC hired away as head coaches. I think I saw (was a dinner so was in the background at BWW) that the Clemson DC wants to stay and not pursue a HC gig. That says something and backs up the family atmosphere. Say what you want about Saban running a business, but look at the number of Bama players that make it to the NFL and not to mention the 5 championships in 10 years.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

There is something to be said for the environment that Swinney has created at Clemson. From the outside looking in, it looks like the kind of place Erk created here. Every man seems to genuinely care about the guy next to him and play for the team. When the talent on the field is equal, it's the kind of thing that can push one team over the top.

I do agree that CL is working on building something similar. It's evident that he cares about his players and coaches, and it comes across without seeming fake or forced. The team will respond to that. It's what turns a 2-10 team into a 10-3 team.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post

Saban has also had every OC and DC hired away as head coaches. I think I saw (was a dinner so was in the background at BWW) that the Clemson DC wants to stay and not pursue a HC gig. That says something and backs up the family atmosphere. Say what you want about Saban running a business, but look at the number of Bama players that make it to the NFL and not to mention the 5 championships in 10 years.
    Bud Foster comes to mind.

There are some out there who are happy where they are and with what they have... and are willing to stay put and continue to invest. As much as I hope CCL is one of those guys, I absolutely would not blame him if he takes the money grab in 2-3 or whatever years. Why? Because if he has a bad season next year you will hear the grumblings of an unhappy fan base... you're only as good as your most recent season.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Yes! I agree. CCL and CDS are very similar in culture. Let’s build something special for the family or brotherhood. Fight for your brother. Family atmosphere. I will argue that Saban and Smart are building a business culture, do what your told and make the NFL. If you don’t measure up then you are dispensable. The use of fear intimidation and profanity is acceptable because the end justifies the means. The family culture says I will encourage and motivate through loyalty and brotherhood. I believe both systems work but I am so glad CCL follows the family culture. If I had a son and were choosing who to play for I would choose the CDS CCL way and I think many top athletes are choosing that as well including Lawrence and the Ross who could have gone to UGA or UA but didn’t. I’m also thinking Fields and a bunch of juniors feel the same way and have bolted those programs. Only time will tell which is more sustainable but I’m glad we have CCL!

In addition to other comparisons, both coaches (Swinney and Lunsford} place an emphasis on the importance that their faith plays in the development of the culture of the football programs they lead.
    West Georgia Eagle
    Temple, GA
    Class of 1981

It is obvious that both of these coaches truly love what they are doing and currently the schools they are coaching at. Sure, we are going to probably have some down years again, next year might be hard to beat our current record of 10-3, but Coach Lunsford has got our program headed in the right direction. Hopefully, no one will be calling for his coaching duties at another institute anytime soon but realize that if we keep winning, like this past year, could happen sooner than later. I sure wish we had been able to go to the Clemson game but I don't feel that bad losing our game to the new National Champions and for the Clemson Tigers joining us in the 15-0 Club.

Quote Originally Posted by West Georgia Eagle View Post
    In addition to other comparisons, both coaches (Swinney and Lunsford} place an emphasis on the importance that their faith plays in the development of the culture of the football programs they lead.
    But what does dabo think of the 5 F’s?

I think the constant "merry-go-round" of coordinators at Bama finally caught up with them Monday night. They got out-coached and out-played. Eventually, when you keep losing coordinators, etc. you're gonna find a dud.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31