TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ga Tech players

Default Re: Ga Tech players

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    I didn't say one style is better or worse but I think it's pretty apparent that this is a fundamentally different offense that requires fundamentally different players. It's obviously less physical if you're shifting defenders to the side and not plowing through them. I like Debesse and I think we will have a very effective offense next season.
    Hmm . . . our personnel--at all positions--looked pretty effective running a zone read-based option offense in 2014.

Specifically, I'd imagine some of the 6'2" OL that Tech fought G5 programs for every year are back in our pool.

While DeBesse possibly wants taller QBs, it will certainly be nicer when/if we're competing only against Kennesaw and the service academies for "QBs" like Jerick McKinnon, Matt Dobson, Kevin Ellison, Lamar Jordan, Shai Werts, et al.

Several of those players were literally waiting for a Tech offer that never came. With PJ gone, we're less likely to whiff on the Tevin Washingtons and settle for the "next tier" of prospective Tech QBs (although that "next tier" yielded some remarkable players, as you see).
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveEAGLE24 View Post
    Agree 100%. Though we run more than we pass it seems apparent we are recruiting the same type athletes as other top tier Sun Belt schools. On paper our offense isn't much different than said schools, we just approach things differently. It's very obvious by our lack of offensive production against P5 teams since Fritz left. I'm not complaining, I'll take a 10-3 record any day!
    I disagree with both of these statements.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

3. Default Re: Ga Tech players

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Hmm . . . our personnel--at all positions--looked pretty effective running a zone read-based option offense in 2014.

Specifically, I'd imagine some of the 6'2" OL that Tech fought G5 programs for every year are back in our pool.

While DeBesse possibly wants taller QBs, it will certainly be nicer when/if we're competing only against Kennesaw and the service academies for "QBs" like Jerick McKinnon, Matt Dobson, Kevin Ellison, Lamar Jordan, Shai Werts, et al.

Several of those players were literally waiting for a Tech offer that never came. With PJ gone, we're less likely to whiff on the Tevin Washingtons and settle for the "next tier" of prospective Tech QBs (although that "next tier" yielded some remarkable players, as you see).
    Monken took air raid recruits and made a run to the semi final. Competent coaching can do wonders with almost any personnel but it does not mean it's what the coach prefers and will target in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I disagree with both of these statements.
    There's only one GT 2019 offensive signee who had any interest in us and that's dual threat QB Jordan Yates. Looking at our signees, most of our guys had interest from Troy, G-State, CCU, USA and some Ark State and Texas State. We're competing against other Sun Belt schools for recruits much more than Tech.
    A successful program requires quality coaches. Help us keep ours.
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

I'd like to know "on paper" how our offense isn't much different than the rest if the conference.

Do people think you could take Troy or ULL or even App State's rosters and playbooks and run it 85% of the time and have success on offense?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Our playbook shares more in common with Wofford than it does any of the teams in our conference.

The exception being we may likely have some pass/route concepts that are similar to other teams in the conference, but our running game isn't anything like the rest of the Sun Belt.

Hell even Coastal isn't an option team, even with an option OC.

6. Default Re: Ga Tech players

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Our playbook shares more in common with Wofford than it does any of the teams in our conference.

The exception being we may likely have some pass/route concepts that are similar to other teams in the conference, but our running game isn't anything like the rest of the Sun Belt.

Hell even Coastal isn't an option team, even with an option OC.
    Say what you want but the recruiting trail shows that we're targeting the same players as other Sun Belt schools and very few targeted by Tech.
    A successful program requires quality coaches. Help us keep ours.
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

7. Default Re: Ga Tech players

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    Say what you want but the recruiting trail shows that we're targeting the same players as other Sun Belt schools and very few targeted by Tech.

PJ’s retirement was announced fairly late in the recruiting cycle. Also, not sure whether GT had made offers on anyone we got-since they likely have known for months PJ was leaving.

Nothing happens in a vacuum, and PJ’s program was very similar to what we want. This cycle might not be a good example, but we will wind up with a bunch of people who would have gone there. We will definitely benefit.

Just think about the o line guys. The folks we need are much more along the lines of what GT had than what most teams recruit.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'd like to know "on paper" how our offense isn't much different than the rest if the conference.

Do people think you could take Troy or ULL or even App State's rosters and playbooks and run it 85% of the time and have success on offense?
    I guess I was referring to overall effectiveness. Other top tier Belt schools get their yardage on slant routes and swing passes and we get the same yardage just a different way. They will have a few deep passes and we will have some longer runs. Unlike under a true option scheme, our offense now doesn't have the 'talent-negating, TOP effect. We, like App, Troy, UL, and A-State basically out recruit other peer schools. We win the games we are supposed too but when we are clearly outmatched against a P5 it shows, at least on offense.

Point being, we don't have to have a specific type of player for certain positions on offense like a PJ or Monken style offense, so we basically recruit the same type athlete as other Belt schools now and thanks to our winning tradition we win many of those recruiting battles. IMO it's better this way because there's no shortage of athletes in our area and we don't necessarily have to have the same attitude towards recruiting as we did in the past. The way coaching turnovers go at this level we can't expect to always have a home rune coach like Russell, PJ, Monken, Fritz or even Lunsford. Idk maybe we can...but not having an extremely unique offense like flex bone will help when those situations inevitably occur. I'm babbling on at this point but no I don't see Tech's coaching change having a major impact on our future recruiting, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by progressiveEAGLE24; 8th January 2019 at 01:55 AM.
    Peterson, taking care of business now. Peterson, still on his feet! Peterson, still on his feet! Peterson!! Still on his feet!

I guess I was referring to overall effectiveness. Other top tier Belt schools get their yardage on slant routes and swing passes and we get the same yardage just a different way. They will have a few deep passes and we will have some longer runs. Unlike under a true option scheme, our offense now doesn't have the 'talent-negating, TOP effect. We, like App, Troy, UL, and A-State basically out recruit other peer schools. We win the games we are supposed too but when we are clearly outmatched against a P5 it shows, at least on offense.

Point being, we don't have to have a specific type of player for certain positions on offense like a PJ or Monken style offense, so we basically recruit the same type athlete as other Belt schools now and thanks to our winning tradition we win many of those recruiting battles. IMO it's better this way because there's no shortage of athletes in our area and we don't necessarily have to have the same attitude towards recruiting as we did in the past. The way coaching turnovers go at this level we can't expect to always have a home rune coach like Russell, PJ, Monken, Fritz or even Lunsford. Idk maybe we can...but not having an extremely unique offense like flex bone will help when those situations inevitably occur. I'm babbling on at this point but no I don't see Tech's coaching change having a major impact on our future recruiting, I could be wrong.
    +1, Our battle now is which 3 star can we get over all the other G5 programs in the south. IMO, we really don't compete with P5's, we can toss out an offer but.......

We are still running a unique offense. We are not similar to stAte at all. We are also dissimilar to Troy. App has been somewhat close to what we ran this year, but they are going to be going away from that moving forward. They will start to look more like stAte. Which is good....it's what our defense is built to stop so I'm glad that's the direction they're going.

What you saw this year was a slow burn rebuild because of the massive amount of turnover we've had the last 4 seasons. Some of what we saw too was a lack of knowing how teams would defend us and having to make some assumptions early on because no one in our conference runs an offense like this, unlike when Monken started in the Socon and you could base your approach on how other teams had defended Wofford. If you haven't watched any DeBesse clinic video, you should. It's pretty eye opening.

Monken didn't make us as good as we were in 2013/2014 in one offseason. 2010 was a gritty *** year that we struggled through most of the time. 11/12 is where he built that team into what it was. Even still, Lunsford had a better first season than Monken did.

And clearly outmatched by a P5 team? Yea....the best one in the country who just embarassed the hell out of Bama. Of course we were outmatched in that game for our second game this year. Even still, we held up better than Bama did. If we didn't have every ILB get injured in that game, maybe we contest some of those deep middle throws and bring the scoring down even more....but we won't know that.

We are going to have a different recruiting strategy than the majority of teams out there. Someone who would have been interested in an offense like GT once ran would definitely want to take a look at us as an FBS option now, especially if they don't want to go the service academy route.