TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Presidential Search Update

1. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Redesignation would be stupid.

Just call us Georgia Southern.

GT is a university, but no one ever refers to them 'Georgia Institute of Technology University'

MIT is a university too. No one ever refers to it by the U.

Definitely don't change the name. Not a good (or necessary) idea.
    That's not what he meant. The USG designates us as a regional university and not a research university. That means they don't have to give us the same resources and funding that schools like Georgia State get even though we're doing the same educational work. Almost every independent educational accounting body ranks Georgia Southern alongside Georgia State but the USG refuses to give us our due. We can keep the name, we just need the regents to stop playing games and pretending that we aren't a major player in Georgia's higher education system.
    A successful program requires quality coaches. Help us keep ours.
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

GT is a university, but no one ever refers to them 'Georgia Institute of Technology University'

Definitely missed what he was saying here. He wasn't calling for a name change -- just a change in our classification within the University system of Georgia.

https://youtu.be/Aq_1l316ow8
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

4. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    That's not what he meant. The USG designates us as a regional university and not a research university. That means they don't have to give us the same resources and funding that schools like Georgia State get even though we're doing the same educational work. Almost every independent educational accounting body ranks Georgia Southern alongside Georgia State but the USG refuses to give us our due. We can keep the name, we just need the regents to stop playing games and pretending that we aren't a major player in Georgia's higher education system.

Apologies.

I definitely misunderstood.

I am definitely not a fan of the BOR and their stunts. I was not familiar with this one..

Unfortunately, I think the BOR situation is unlikely to change anytime soon.

The state of GA govt is the problem here. They just don't care a single whit about anything in the state outside of metro Atlanta and Athens. I discovered how bad this was when a major manufacturer wanted to move here a few years back. Would have brought @1000 jobs. I was so excited, I called my county commissioner and we talked about an incentive package. Our county scraped together $10 million. I asked how much the state was willing to kick in... His response was $0..... (Guess where that manufacturer moved.... Not GA.) Savannah appears to be perfectly situated to have major auto manufacturers in that area. Every single one of them went to SC, Alabama or Tenn (except Kia.) There's a reason for that-it's our incompetent state govt.

This state really had some messed up govt on many levels.

any chance the new president will redesignate the 'Armstrong campus' to 'Savannah campus'? it'll help everyone unfamiliar with the merge better understand where it's located. i'm not sure why it was designated that in the first place.

hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

6. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    any chance the new president will redesignate the 'Armstrong campus' to 'Savannah campus'? it'll help everyone unfamiliar with the merge better understand where it's located. i'm not sure why it was designated that in the first place.

hail southern
    It was named the Armstrong Campus because the Armstrong members on the merger committee threw a b**** fit, and they all agreed to name it that to “preserve the Armstrong legacy.” It most likely won’t be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    It was named the Armstrong Campus because the Armstrong members on the merger committee threw a b**** fit, and they all agreed to name it that to “preserve the Armstrong legacy.” It most likely won’t be changed.
    Maybe 10 years from now when there may be some confusion about "what is Armstrong?", may just change it to GS Savannah campus, since IT IS GS!

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Maybe 10 years from now when there may be some confusion about "what is Armstrong?", may just change it to GS Savannah campus, since IT IS GS!
    That’s what I’m thinking/hoping.

I still call it “Armstrong State”.

9. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Finalists will interview with the BoR on Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Finalists will interview with the BoR on Wednesday
    Thanks. Any idea when they will decide?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"