TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rule on home attendance

1. Default Rule on home attendance

Noticed that CCU only averaged a little more than 10k for the year at home. Isn't it 15k to stay at the FBS level?

Default Re: Rule on home attendance

IIRC they changed that threshold a few years ago.
    “Show me a good and gracious loser, and I’ll show you a failure.” Knute Rockne-Notre Dame
    “Always remember….. Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David.” Shug Jordan- Auburn
    Eamus Aquila Anno Aquila AA000400

It used to be 17k now it's 15K once out of every two years and they give them every possible way around it to get that 15K reported every other year. Check the MAC. You'll see semi-honest reporting in say even years, then several thousand higher average on the odd years.

Estimated reporting, WTF is that? Reminds me of a great Mitch Hedberg joke: "I saw a lottery billboard and it said "Estimated jackpot: 25 million". See, I didn't know that **** was estimated. It would s*ck if you won and called up and they said "Oh we were off by two zeroes. We estimate that you are angry.""

I think some schools sued to get that rule changed. So now it's a rolling 2 year average. I think the only thing that happens if you don't meet the 15K requirement, is that you can't make a bowl.

Also per the NCAA rules you can report one of the below:
    Actual
    Tickets Sold
    Estimate
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I think some schools sued to get that rule changed. So now it's a rolling 2 year average. I think the only thing that happens if you don't meet the 15K requirement, is that you can't make a bowl.

Also per the NCAA rules you can report one of the below:
    Actual
    Tickets Sold
    Estimate
    It’s apparent that there is no interest from the NCAA in enforcing any accuracy regarding this issue. We’ve played in front of and I’ve seen on TV too many <5,000 face crowds for me to believe otherwise.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

I think they just don't care to enforce this. There is no way Coastal or ULM come even close to this. Georgia State makes up numbers unlike anything I've ever seen as well.

It's not even an average......They just have to average 15k one year out of every two. They can average 0 one year and 15k the next and be fine. There is a rule that they can be audited once every four years and must provide proof but that also includes that they can buy their own tickets as long as they pay something like one third of regular max ticket price. One MAC team bought over 50k of its own tickets one year to be able to pass the audit.

8. Default Re: Rule on home attendance

I thought it was an average of 15k, but over a course of two subsequent seasons.

IIRC, Idaho fell under 15k one season in the SBC and were under pressure to average 15k for the succeeding season.

Honestly - what is the benefit of the NCAA in enforcing this rule?

Most people realize that CFB attendance is related to winning, so teams that inhale vigorously are going to have bad attendance. And if a team has a few consecutive 8-11 win seasons where the program is on the upswing, and they STILL don't get fans, then what? The NCAA says "well its too bad but you're demoted to FCS now". I know the attendance issue is a good way to poke fun at other schools/programs, but at the end of the day, if a school has a low attendance average, it's really only detrimental to that team, and not to anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I thought it was an average of 15k, but over a course of two subsequent seasons.

IIRC, Idaho fell under 15k one season in the SBC and were under pressure to average 15k for the succeeding season.

The NCAA bylaw is "Once every two years on a rolling basis, the institution shall average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home
    football games." It sounds confusing but the way it is interpreted is that in any two year period, one of the years must show 15k. Here's one published audit:
    https://www.utsystem.edu/sites/defau...nce-report.pdf

Here's one actual NCAA form where the school fills it out and says "We pinky swear we had 15k average in either this year or that year."
    https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...divisionv2.pdf