TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post Season Bowl Predictions

Default Re: Post Season Bowl Predictions

I have a little knowledge as to the bowl selection process and I can tell you that it isn't completely up to the particular Bowl, as to the which teams play in its bowl. The conferences play a huge part in placing their teams in bowls and so does ESPN.

ESPN owns the Camellia Bowl along with a lot of other bowls. ESPN is concerned about one thing: filling a time slot with a game, so it can sell advertisements. It does not care one bit, how many people show up in the stands. It is only concerned with programming.

Thus, given our record and the fact the game is on the main ESPN channel, it is not surprising at all we are in the Camellia Bowl and not the Cure Bowl. It would have been great for the Cure Bowl had Southern been there, but in the end, the Cure Bowl really had no choice in the matter.
    Heath Vickers
    Degree from Georgia Southern - BBA in Accounting in 2006
    Jacksonville, Florida

2. Default Re: Post Season Bowl Predictions

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    1. NO
    2. DG
    3. Camelia
    4. Cure
    5. Arizona

Cure only even gets to consider us if DG and Camelia pass on us
    Oh yeah, that’s right, that makes sense, thanks. I guess I assumed Cure was selecting sooner because they made the announcement sooner. It looks like many years of DG and Camelia for GS going forward.

Well the Sun Belt media guide states the pecking order, but says it has nothing to do with record.

But then this year the SB said the conference champ will be be going to NOLA in a press release. Then within the last few days, said that the loser of the SB CCG is going to Cure. So it's different than years past where it was based on location/potential ticket sales.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Oh yeah, that’s right, that makes sense, thanks. I guess I assumed Cure was selecting sooner because they made the announcement sooner. It looks like many years of DG and Camelia for GS going forward.
    Well, don't necessarily take it as gospel, because I'm sure none of the selections of the various bowls with SunBelt tie-ins are made in a complete vacuum, as others have pointed out. There does appear to be a stated pecking order, though, albeit one with the 'guiding hands' of the conference and apparently ESPN overseeing the process. I'm sure they all get together and run through the various potential scenarios to see if any potential team/location match ups just don't make sense.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose