TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendance for App St game

Default Re: Attendance for App St game

Students are mostly filling up their section. That's more than alumni can say.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

2. Default Re: Attendance for App St game

Quote Originally Posted by KCEagle View Post
    I'm absolutely pinning this on the students. I'm not trying to be confrontational and I do not know if you are a student or not, but with the downturn in ticket sales the students absolutely make the difference.
    This logic just makes no sense to me. I just don't understand how our piss poor attendance is squarely on the students not showing up when their section is the most full every game. Students aren't responsible for declining ticket sales, and the general admission sections being empty. You're right that students haven't come out like they have in the past, and it could have something to do with the fact that the freshman through junior class this year have yet to see a football team with a winning record play in Paulson stadium. Also, just wanting to point out that the mid-deck hasn't had student overflow seating since the first half of the 2014 season. Once they found out that there was a demand for that space in some of our bigger games, they nixed the student overflow thing pretty fast. Overflow is now just the grass hills even when the mid-deck is half empty. A lot of people don't realize that I think.

The bottom line, GS football attendance this season(so far), STINKS. Maybe football is just getting in line with basketball, body fluid poor attendance.

4. Default Re: Attendance for App St game

Guys.

Look at the stands at our away games......

Our attendance could use some work, but damn. Most of the other schools in this conference can’t put 5k actual live humans in the stadiums.

Remember a couple years ago when we played Troy at their place? I saw probably 500 people in that stadium-and that was a home game-and they were a good team.

I have no idea where some of these places dream up attendance figures, but they have absolutely no correlation to the number of people who actually show up.

When I’m in Paulson, I am thankful for the 15 or 17 k loud fans we have, because it’s damned sure at least 3x what most of these places muster

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Guys.

Look at the stands at our away games......

Our attendance could use some work, but damn. Most of the other schools in this conference can’t put 5k actual live humans in the stadiums.

Remember a couple years ago when we played Troy at their place? I saw probably 500 people in that stadium-and that was a home game-and they were a good team.

I have no idea where some of these places dream up attendance figures, but they have absolutely no correlation to the number of people who actually show up.

When I’m in Paulson, I am thankful for the 15 or 17 k loud fans we have, because it’s damned sure at least 3x what most of these places muster
    Lots of home side tickets left for App... Not cool

6. Default Re: Attendance for App St game

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Lots of home side tickets left for App... Not cool
    There will be a large push on Sunday. Especially if we perform well against NMSU and App ends up ranked.

Win and they will come!!

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    This logic just makes no sense to me. I just don't understand how our piss poor attendance is squarely on the students not showing up when their section is the most full every game. Students aren't responsible for declining ticket sales, and the general admission sections being empty. You're right that students haven't come out like they have in the past, and it could have something to do with the fact that the freshman through junior class this year have yet to see a football team with a winning record play in Paulson stadium. Also, just wanting to point out that the mid-deck hasn't had student overflow seating since the first half of the 2014 season. Once they found out that there was a demand for that space in some of our bigger games, they nixed the student overflow thing pretty fast. Overflow is now just the grass hills even when the mid-deck is half empty. A lot of people don't realize that I think.
    It makes sense because ticket sales have historically stayed in a smaller window relative to the number of students showing up. 2007 Furman attendance was 23,373. 2016 ULM attendance was 25,735. Many other games in the same time frame have been in the 13-16k range. I am confident if you emailed the ticket office and asked for a breakdown of attendance- season tickets, walk up sales, and student attendance, the difference between these 23k+ games and the 16k games is the difference between 3k students showing up versus 8-9k+ showing up.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here. It's just simple math. I would almost guarantee season tickets and walk up sales have never fluctuated more then 2-3,000 for any season or one game but we have seen massive swings in student attendance.

You are posting on the message board and so if you are a student you are likely at every game. I am not criticizing you. Nor am I interested in "calling out the ol frats" or willing to go around to large student tailgates to ask them to go into the game. You are spot on in that many of the students haven't seen a consistent winner. Success breeds success and hopefully they will come to the App. game, get hooked, and keep coming back.

And I did not know that about overflow so thank you for sharing. Many of us remember in years past pre-expansion there was always a section held for opposing teams' fans and it was always empty and looked terrible. Sure enough about mid way through 1st quarter an announcement would be made that students could use as overflow, and I know that happened with the mid-deck previously, but I did not realize it's been since 2014.

My point was what will motivate the students who are not coming to get to the games? And then if we can get them there Athletics staff will be forced to figure out where to put the ones that cannot squeeze into the student section. The way attendance has been this year that would be a great problem to have.

You are saying "don't blame us we're filling the student section," and I am saying "that's great but where did your other 5,000 friends go that used to fill every other nook and cranny of Paulson?" I am not saying students are the only reason, but I am saying students are the biggest reason. You are right too, we're just looking at it differently.

9. Default Re: Attendance for App St game

Quote Originally Posted by KCEagle View Post
    It makes sense because ticket sales have historically stayed in a smaller window relative to the number of students showing up. 2007 Furman attendance was 23,373. 2016 ULM attendance was 25,735. Many other games in the same time frame have been in the 13-16k range. I am confident if you emailed the ticket office and asked for a breakdown of attendance- season tickets, walk up sales, and student attendance, the difference between these 23k+ games and the 16k games is the difference between 3k students showing up versus 8-9k+ showing up.

I'm not trying to be obtuse here. It's just simple math. I would almost guarantee season tickets and walk up sales have never fluctuated more then 2-3,000 for any season or one game but we have seen massive swings in student attendance.

You are posting on the message board and so if you are a student you are likely at every game. I am not criticizing you. Nor am I interested in "calling out the ol frats" or willing to go around to large student tailgates to ask them to go into the game. You are spot on in that many of the students haven't seen a consistent winner. Success breeds success and hopefully they will come to the App. game, get hooked, and keep coming back.

And I did not know that about overflow so thank you for sharing. Many of us remember in years past pre-expansion there was always a section held for opposing teams' fans and it was always empty and looked terrible. Sure enough about mid way through 1st quarter an announcement would be made that students could use as overflow, and I know that happened with the mid-deck previously, but I did not realize it's been since 2014.

My point was what will motivate the students who are not coming to get to the games? And then if we can get them there Athletics staff will be forced to figure out where to put the ones that cannot squeeze into the student section. The way attendance has been this year that would be a great problem to have.

You are saying "don't blame us we're filling the student section," and I am saying "that's great but where did your other 5,000 friends go that used to fill every other nook and cranny of Paulson?" I am not saying students are the only reason, but I am saying students are the biggest reason. You are right too, we're just looking at it differently.
    +1. I think I posted this already somewhere, but when I was going to games as a student in 2014, 2015, and 2016, the student section was absolutely crammed. It was impossible to find your spot if you left to use the bathroom or get food. The two games I've been able to make it to this year, we end up sitting in the student section (seats are in LL), and it isn't too hard to find a spot even into the 2nd quarter. But as others have said, it's tough to convince students who may have grown up as a fan of another team or just aren't huge football fans, to come see a team play that won 7 games the last two years. It'll take time to get those folks on board.

The difference IS from the students mainly

#s scanned this year has been in the 2500 to 3500 range
    Its also the reason our number from Ark State and homecoming were so different about 1200 more students came because of homecoming

Previous high attendance years - student attendance was closer to 6000+
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.