TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How is attendance shaping up from South Al game?

Default Re: How is attendance shaping up from South Al game?

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Jacksonville State averaged 19K last year and they have two national championship caliber teams in their state. Again, it's their winning pedigree that gets butts in seats moreso than Alabama or Auburn's success. UGA affects us just like the weather or what time the kickoff is or how many gates students can go in...it's all small chunks. The biggest loss was our 2017 season- this will be a rebuilding year for attendance, hopefully we put together a solid season and we can get more season ticket holders and transnational ticket purchases on a per game basis next year.
    18K and it would be more if not for AL and AU. Like I said winning is #1. If you think legit NC P5 teams do not affect attendance then no use in talking because that is dead wrong. If they go 2-10 expect more of their fans to sit home to watch the AL game.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Again, I'm not arguing that it doesn't affect us at all​ because it does but it is not the single biggest factor.
    and nobody said it was.

you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Kennesaw State 2017 Attendance: 6696
    Kennesaw State 2016 Attendance: 7768
    Kennesaw State 2015 Attendance: 4396
    Current Kennesaw State average: 6401

Mercer 2017 Attendance: 10545
    Mercer 2016 Attendance: 11237
    Mercer 2015 Attendance: 10692
    Current Mercer Average: 10229

UGA theory debunked. If we keep winning and don't have a good crowd on Senior day (basically the only Saturday home game left after this one) then we can talk about FBS apathy or UGA. Right now our team is all substance and no style, which wins games but doesn't sell the tickets. Would like to see us put at least a couple of beat-downs in the next 3 games and maybe we'll have a good crowd for App State.
    So their friends, family and a few students still went to games....I dont see any growth there either. None that matters statistically...ohhh nevermind.

Also again anyone want to tell me how App St basketball is doing with so many legit elite basketball programs in the state?

you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Kennesaw State 2017 Attendance: 6696
    Kennesaw State 2016 Attendance: 7768
    Kennesaw State 2015 Attendance: 4396
    Current Kennesaw State average: 6401

Mercer 2017 Attendance: 10545
    Mercer 2016 Attendance: 11237
    Mercer 2015 Attendance: 10692
    Current Mercer Average: 10229

UGA theory debunked. If we keep winning and don't have a good crowd on Senior day (basically the only Saturday home game left after this one) then we can talk about FBS apathy or UGA. Right now our team is all substance and no style, which wins games but doesn't sell the tickets. Would like to see us put at least a couple of beat-downs in the next 3 games and maybe we'll have a good crowd for App State.
    You actually proved the UGA theory. Both KSU and Mercer peaked in 2016. UGA has their title run in 2017 (attendance drops) and are currently undefeated (average is lower than previous years). For a casual fan, it is more fun to cheer for the team that is getting national attention and is discussed daily by the talking heads than the local team you have to seek out information and articles on.

Another factor is that since streaming TV shows is more popular (including the technology - chromecast, espn, roku, etc), it is alot easier to watch the game from home without the trouble of driving to statesboro, walking to stadium/riding the shuttle, waiting for shuttle after the game, being hot, being rained on, etc. May not be why we are down 10,000 people but I'm sure it contributes to some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SigEp614 View Post
    Just an anecdote but in my group of friends, several guys (5-6) just don’t want to go back to statesboro.

I know it sounds silly but their point is, all of their friends have graduated and moved on and other than the 3 hours while the game is playing, there’s nothing going on in statesboro that would make them want to go there. They’d rather just watch at home. Nothing to do with UGA either as they’re still die hard eagles from the couch

I don’t agree with them, but I sort of understand it. I just enjoy actually going to the game.
    This is also true. Nobody is traveling to Statesboro to watch bottom dweller Sunbelt football. If we start winning again, we'll get the predictable attendance boost. We still have a ceiling of about 20k or so average. It is what it is unless we make a UCF style New Year's 6 performance.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    You actually proved the UGA theory. Both KSU and Mercer peaked in 2016. UGA has their title run in 2017 (attendance drops) and are currently undefeated (average is lower than previous years). For a casual fan, it is more fun to cheer for the team that is getting national attention and is discussed daily by the talking heads than the local team you have to seek out information and articles on.
    No, it doesn't prove it. Those drops aren't much more than noise. After this game our attendance is going to be 25-30% less than the 2014-2015 norm. There's just no comparison.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    LOL.

you missed JDC's point.

9. Default Re: How is attendance shaping up from South Al game?

Tyson Summers.

10. Default Re: How is attendance shaping up from South Al game?

If Statesboro were closer to metro Atlanta, where the majority of alumni reside, I think it would help attendance. Being in my mid 30's with two young kids it's tough to schedule a weekend trip for a game. Also, when you factor in a hotel for two nights, gas, and food/beverage you're looking at an expensive weekend trip to make a game. My wife and I have talked about how we'd love if Statesboro were an hour and a half to two hours away. It would make it practical to run down in the morning and be able to drive back after the game. For what it's worth, when we leaved in Savannah for a year after we graduated we frequented home games.