TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good Game fellas

1. Default Re: Good Game fellas

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Regardless of what it's called, I just checked out the game thread on their 247 board and it really made me wish this board was uncensored because a lot of it had me literally laughing out loud. Didn't even matter that it was related to this game.
    It does make it a more fun read. We've had some amazingly weird takes in terms for blames for losses over the last few years. At least one person last night blamed the Missouri football players strike from a few years ago indirectly on last nights loss.

Default Re: Good Game fellas

Have to give a shout out to Ark State guys. As they were going to the locker room, multiple guys stopped to shake hands and thank the National Guard guys at the cannon. Thats classy, whether it was done on a personal level or a team/coach level. I give that a ton of props.

Quote Originally Posted by AcctEagle221 View Post
    Have to give a shout out to Ark State guys. As they were going to the locker room, multiple guys stopped to shake hands and thank the National Guard guys at the cannon. Thats classy, whether it was done on a personal level or a team/coach level. I give that a ton of props.
    There was that but then you also had an assistant coach as well as one player having to be restrained at halftime when they verbally attacked the National Guardsmen for firing the cannon as they were retreating to the locker room. Not a good look for them.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    There was that but then you also had an assistant coach as well as one player having to be restrained at halftime when they verbally attacked the National Guardsmen for firing the cannon as they were retreating to the locker room. Not a good look for them.
    Snowflakes.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfan View Post
    Haven't for 5 years now. He's insistent that its a waste of resources. But there's no mistake after going through 6 years of some of the best kicking in school history, the last few years have been terrible. We're less than 10 years removed from having a Groza finalist.
    Wait, this is by choice? I can't recall ever hearing a HC intentionally wanting that, seems insane.

Quote Originally Posted by introvertedGSUfan View Post
    Wait, this is by choice? I can't recall ever hearing a HC intentionally wanting that, seems insane.
    Many coaches don't give out scholarships to kickers, including at the highest rungs of football. I don't think Alabama does, and it almost cost them a national championship last year.

For a G5 team It's probably easier to have an all-American kicker than having an AA at any other position.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfan View Post
    Biggest concern came true. You guys actually hired a real coach, we still have our crappy one. Got outcoached all over the field, and then we played scared offensively.

Lunsford called a smart play in the end to take advantage of our defense which was overpursuing. No idea why we didn't at least consider the possibility of a trick play, but that's Blake Anderson for you in a nutshell.

We'll try to beat App for you. It won't happen, but maybe they'll forget to show up or their center will get hurt or something...
    Thanks Chief, but you never came back to TalonTalk.

All of us thought the "Real GSU" would win. EF200 nailed it at GSU 28 to 21.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Many coaches don't give out scholarships to kickers, including at the highest rungs of football. I don't think Alabama does, and it almost cost them a national championship last year.

For a G5 team It's probably easier to have an all-American kicker than having an AA at any other position.
    Even a partial scholarship? I guess I'm being incredibly naive, but I thought most major programs tried to recruit a kicker on some sort of scholarship. I guess they may also be popular enough to attract several potential walk-ons while the G5s may struggle in that area without providing an incentive.

We've had a few head coaches of our own do the same.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

10. Default Re: Good Game fellas

Even a partial scholarship? I guess I'm being incredibly naive, but I thought most major programs tried to recruit a kicker on some sort of scholarship. I guess they may also be popular enough to attract several potential walk-ons while the G5s may struggle in that area without providing an incentive.
    You can't give out partial scholarships in FBS Football. FCS Level is the only one with partials.

We used to not. Then we had a walk on kicker who earned a scholarship after earning the job as a freshman. He was a groza finalist as a Junior. Practice was continued under Hugh Freeze with the next kicker. Malzahn would only give out one "Kicking scholarship" so either the Punter or Kicker got one. Harsin never really said what the plan was, but continued the scholarship of our current kickers. Our Senior kicker graduated after that year and Anderson immediately discontinued it.
    We've been sort of lucky in that we've never been bad at both punting or kicking under Anderson. Two years ago we had a decent kicking game and a terrible punting game. Fixed the punting last year and brought in an Aussie who will probably play on Sunday's. But as soon as he came in, place kicking fell off.

Arkansas has a famous High School coach here who refuses to punt or kick field goals, calling them a "win for the defense" He goes for it on every 4th down no matter the location on the field, goes for two after every touchdown and always runs an onside kick on kickoffs. There's a small segement of our fan base that has almost hit that point where we should just voluntarily go to that philosophy if we're not going to bother improving the kicking game.