TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 43 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What to expect from Bob Debesse

Default What to expect from Bob Debesse

I've done some research this morning some of you may or may not find interesting.

In 2011, the year before Debesse arrived at New Mexico, the Lobos ranked last in the Mountain West in every rushing categories. They attempted less rushes than anybody in the conference and had less yards per carry than anybody in the conference. (Parenthesis is rank nationally)
    Attempts:405 (95th)
    Yards:1358 (104)
    YPC:3.4 (106)
    TD:10 (T-111)

This wasn't even because they were great passing the ball. They ranked 6th out of 8 teams in passing offense. Out of 120 teams that year, they ranked 113 in total offense.

Then Bob Debesse and Bob Davie showed up. (First ranking in conference second is nationally.) This season the Mountain West had ten teams.
    Attempts:688 (2nd)(6th)
    Yards: 3917(2nd)(5th)
    YPC: 5.7 (1)(3)
    TD 34(3)(17)

They jumped from 3550 total yards in 2011 to 4806 in just a year. This was on a team that was still completely outmatched in the conference. They gave up 30 points per game and went 4-9 overall with a 1-7 record in the conference (extra game due to playing Hawaii).

We are not at the distinct talent disadvantage New Mexico was in 2012. If Debesse can bring that kind of improvement to our offense things could be back rolling pretty quickly.

Default Re: What to expect from Bob Debesse

Great statistics, thanks for posting.

Part of me is very optimistic about the magic of an Option Guru coaching here at Option U, and the results that should bring. However, part of me was optimistic about Cook as well...but at least DeBesse has the track record to prove he can be an effective play caller.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post

Part of me is very optimistic about the magic of an Option Guru coaching here at Option U, and the results that should bring. However, part of me was optimistic about Cook as well...but at least DeBesse has the track record to prove he can be an effective play caller.
    Well one thing you have to remember is that Cook came in and was basically forced to run an offense he had no experience running. I highly doubt CL is going to micromanage the way Summers did. I think we'll be in for a treat.
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

My only concern is that there's a lot of film out there on what DeBesse does. His offense isn't quite as coherent (IMO) as PJ's, which is largely impervious to film study.

Also, a big part of UNM's 2016 breakthrough was that they actually did (for once) out-athlete some of their opponents. I hope we can do the same, but this is season one with DeBesse. We'll need Speedy LaRoche or someone else to emerge as a speed demon--like Terryione (sp.) Gibson, who was often fast enough to negate scheme.

But DeBesse has done really good work. He's been the OC at TCU, Minnesota, SHSU, and UNM. He's run a successful option offense for nine straight seasons, so he'll be fine as long as everyone's on the same page and our opponents haven't entirely caught up. Lord knows we've given them looks at virtually every possible kind of "gun option" over the past four seasons.

That's why I'd love to see some under-center plays. That boosted our 3rd-down efficiently BIG TIME in the second half of 2017. DeBesse may have a bad taste of that from UNM, but I'm positive he, Lunsford, and Wood know which plays would complement the gun/zone offense.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    Well one thing you have to remember is that Cook came in and was basically forced to run an offense he had no experience running. I highly doubt CL is going to micromanage the way Summers did. I think we'll be in for a treat.
    I think also a larger difference is that Lunsford and DeBesse want to run the SAME offense.

Lunsford is definitely modeling the way Fritz ran things. DeBesse was recommended by Fritz and has worked in that system. This is a really good matchup.

We won't have an issue like in 2016 where Summers forced his OC's to change terminology to something completely different because Summers couldn't be bothered to learn what they used.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post

Cook, Bodine, and Wood all had success calling plays at lower levels.

The biggest issue, though (as NO_QUARTER points) out, is that all three had their previous success with a veer base.

Summers was a fool for not starting with that.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    My only concern is that there's a lot of film out there on what DeBesse does. His offense isn't quite as coherent (IMO) as PJ's, which is largely impervious to film study.

Also, a big part of UNM's 2016 breakthrough was that they actually did (for once) out-athlete some of their opponents. I hope we can do the same, but this is season one with DeBesse. We'll need Speedy LaRoche or someone else to emerge as a speed demon--like Terryione (sp.) Gibson, who was often fast enough to negate scheme.

But DeBesse has done really good work. He's been the OC at TCU, Minnesota, SHSU, and UNM. He's run a successful option offense for nine straight seasons, so he'll be fine as long as everyone's on the same page and our opponents haven't entirely caught up. Lord knows we've given them looks at virtually every possible kind of "gun option" over the past four seasons.

That's why I'd love to see some under-center plays. That boosted our 3rd-down efficiently BIG TIME in the second half of 2017. DeBesse may have a bad taste of that from UNM, but I'm positive he, Lunsford, and Wood know which plays would complement the gun/zone offense.
    In Lunsford's comments during Media Day, he said we'd MOSTLY be in the gun.

I'm optimistic but cautious. I'm gun shy due to what we saw the last two years. I thought we would be fine, and we were far from it. Once I see the offense and how it walks and talks in a game situation, I'll feel a little better probably.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post

Craig Bohl sure had a tough time against it, though...

Gave up 36, 38, and 56 points against it his first 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    Yeah, and also Cook is a Paul Johnson assistant so you can't evaluate his work as much, but DeBesse completely ran the show with a HC that has a defensive background.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Craig Bohl sure had a tough time against it, though...

Gave up 36, 38, and 56 points against it his first 3 years.
    That 2016 game is the ultimate highlight of DeBesse's offense. It looked like PJ vs. WCU ca. 1999.

That said, there are plenty of games on Youtube in which UNM's IZ game got manhandled like ours in 2017. That concerns me.
    Thanks, Rastabot!