TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Michigan Preview

Default Western Michigan Preview

This could be one of the toughest home openers that I can think of in recent memory. Most of us had this one pegged as the 4th toughest game on our schedule. Western Michigan gave #5 Michigan State all they could handle last Friday, losing 37-24. It should be noted that that score could very easily be 31-37, had a WMU receiver not dropped a wide open TD grab that hit him directly in the hands with no defenders around.

Offense

They are a pass happy team that saw 9 different receivers record at least 1 reception, and had two receivers go for over 100 yards against Michigan State. They threw the ball 50 times against MSU, with the QB’s stat line being 33/50 365 yards and a 2:2 TD/INT ratio. However, their rushing game was non-existent, as they recorded an appalling 18 yards on 23 carries, that’s 0.8 YPC. But even without the run, they were able to move the ball through the air, and that's what worries me the most.

Defense

On defense, WMU allowed 196 yards rushing, and allowed 4.9 YPC. Through the air they allowed 256 yards, and 8.3 yards per attempt (17.1 yards per completion). Just looking at those stats alone gives me hope that we will be able to move the ball against these guys. Schematically even, they don't run the 3-3 stack like WVU, and that's about the toughest formation for a ZBS line to block against. I expect us to look much improved on the offensive side this Saturday.

Prediction

It’s really hard to make a prediction when only one game has been played but I’m not going to sugar coat anything or be biased in this prediction. I had this one as a toss-up over a month ago, but I'd be lying if I said WMU doesn't have the edge now. Still, I think our offense will be MUCH improved this weekend, as they won't be in such a hostile environment and won't be facing a defense anywhere near the level of WVU's. However, I just can't see our defense slowing down their passing attack, and our offensive line growing pains aren't going to go away in one week. I truly hope I'm wrong, but I'm going to say 34-21 WMU.

Default Re: Western Michigan Preview

Houdini still out, im not even touching this game.

One thing I can say for WMU is that they do not have a defensive front (including the linebackers) that WVU has. If there was one bright spot on the offense it's that Breida, Rambsy, and Fields were really picking up some yards on a defense that was absolutely crowding the box.

I'm going to stay positive and say we can win in a close one 21-14
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    One thing I can say for WMU is that they do not have a defensive front (including the linebackers) that WVU has. If there was one bright spot on the offense it's that Breida, Rambsy, and Fields were really picking up some yards on a defense that was absolutely crowding the box.

I'm going to stay positive and say we can win in a close one 21-14
    No, their front 7 is no where near WVU's. But if we manage to hold that passing attack to 14 points, our secondary made some incredible strides in 6 days

I agree with the prediction that we will look better if for no other reason we will be back in the friendly confines, and their defense will not be nearly as athletic as what we saw from WV. I was more worried about their running game but I think we can keep them in check, and the passing game concerns me more. #84 is an NFL caliber receiver. We better find a way to contain him. Defense needs to come up with a couple of big turnovers...we need to win the turnover battle or else. I'd start Upshaw and see what happens...if we come out resembling anything like we did on Saturday, Harley needs to be ready.

Oh, and we should have played this game at 1:00.

Opener ? Heck, was talking with a buddy and the list is short of teams that we have EVER played at Paulson that look to be equal or better than this WMU team. I don't normally issue out hyperbolic statements, but outside of 1989 SFA, 2006 NDSU and maybe the 2002 WKU team I cannot think of another big,fast & good team like that we've played.

Feel free to correct me ... I'm not talking about just any team we've lost to at home.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle22 View Post
    Opener ? Heck, was talking with a buddy and the list is short of teams that we have EVER played at Paulson that look to be equal or better than this WMU team. I don't normally issue out hyperbolic statements, but outside of 1989 SFA, 2006 NDSU and maybe the 2002 WKU team I cannot think of another big,fast & good team like that we've played.

Feel free to correct me ... I'm not talking about just any team we've lost to at home.
    I would say 1996 Marshall was better.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Oh, and we should have played this game at 1:00.
    Even at night, they've never seen these humidity levels before or gnats. Trust me I grew up in Michigan. I was just in Boston 2 weekends ago and people were complaining about the humidity and it was only 70 degrees and zero humidity.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I would say 1996 Marshall was better.
    Yep, definitely. Somehow forgot about Kresser and Moss.

Another team would be Northeast Lousiana back in 1987. Stout team.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Make it into a defensive dog fight otherwise we don't have a shot. Simplify the playbook for Upshaw. 2 TE sets if necessary. Run the ball, keep them off the field. Hope that defense and the return game can give us at least 1 TD. Wear them down, let the heat take over.
    Artist Formerly Known as ditka4prez

http://www.forgotten5.com